Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
31 May 2022 16:42:02

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons 

We had a sharp torrential storm after lunch here near Lincoln, Caz. I was wearing my new hearing aids when we got a good thunderclap! Wow! Never heard owt like that before! I was expecting to collect my other half after her bowling but it was clear by 4pm.

Hope you are all keeping well.

Roger

I thought you might have had some!  We are seriously lacking any thunder so far this year, which is unusual, as we’re the thunder capital usually!  We’ve had virtually no rain this month either. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Jiries
31 May 2022 17:46:57

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons 

We had a sharp torrential storm after lunch here near Lincoln, Caz. I was wearing my new hearing aids when we got a good thunderclap! Wow! Never heard owt like that before! I was expecting to collect my other half after her bowling but it was clear by 4pm.

Hope you are all keeping well.

Roger

Did you get a buzz on your hearing aids? I got once in 2012 at when the storm clouds was right over my work place so i felt a buzz on my hearing aids, then few seconds later power cut as the lightning struck the work power station.  

sunny coast
31 May 2022 22:17:08
Short but torrential downpour here around 930 pm after a dry day . At the end of the downpour massive bolt of lightning and pistol thunder clap . House opposite hit and 2 fire engines putting out a roof fire fir an hour . Fire brigade were here in minutes luckily fire spotted quickly by a neigh bour
Crepuscular Ray
02 June 2022 21:04:30
A thunderstorm rumbled north up Windermere this evening and became torrential. Glad I hadn't gone up to see the beacon lighting!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
02 June 2022 21:10:05

The May thunderstorm thread didn't fill up, so I've re-titled it to run on into June. Expect a couple more pages-worth this weekend?

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
picturesareme
03 June 2022 14:55:58
The coastal part of northwest Wales just south of Bangor has been getting drenched by local convergence storms for several hours now - very localised.

Looking very similar to something that happened here some years back that led to locally 5-6 inches of rain over a few hours.
picturesareme
03 June 2022 19:55:37

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

The coastal part of northwest Wales just south of Bangor has been getting drenched by local convergence storms for several hours now - very localised.

Looking very similar to something that happened here some years back that led to locally 5-6 inches of rain over a few hours.

Metoffice have made a post regarding it...

https://mobile.twitter.com/metoffice/status/1532789289922220034?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

92mm in 6 hours and there are still storms in the area.

ballamar
04 June 2022 13:39:14
Storms kicking off in France currently looking very lively - hopefully will make it over the channel and into the morning. Impressive number of strikes
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
04 June 2022 14:06:20

Yes they do but last night they were looking vigorous but didn't deliver here as they dissipated. 

A decent light show with some audible sound would be a first this year for me. But it's an improvement on recent years.

There again be careful what you hope for. 

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
04 June 2022 14:24:30

Originally Posted by: ballamar 

Storms kicking off in France currently looking very lively - hopefully will make it over the channel and into the morning. Impressive number of strikes

10491 strokes in 2 hours across Europe, looks like majority in France though Balkans contributing

http://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung/europe/index.php?bo_page=archive&bo_map=0&bo_animation=now

ADDED MetO radar shows the Cotentin peninsula getting some dramatic downpours, but the area of activity breaks up and moves away east in the forecast chart. There's new batch of storms for the S Coast overnight, but they seem to be home-grown.

Chichester 12m asl
Bugglesgate
04 June 2022 19:11:45

MO RADAR showing rain   entering Kent.
The heavy, electrified,   stuff still out in the channel though. 

Chris (It,its)
Between Newbury and Basingstoke
"When they are giving you their all, some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy banging your heart against some mad buggers wall"
bledur
  • bledur
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
04 June 2022 20:42:08

Frequent lightning several miles south of me now, looks like the Poole area

southcoastmatt
04 June 2022 20:53:30
Fantastic thunderstorm currently here in Poole/Bournemouth area. Frequent sheet lightning and huge claps of thunder. Torrential rain to add to the drama...
Matt in Poole, Dorset
65Masl
fairweather
04 June 2022 22:56:55

Nothing yet in the S.E. Looks like it is fragmenting somewhat as it moves North.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
idj20
04 June 2022 23:32:58

Yeah, had a bit of thundery activity earlier on this evening (around 10.30 pm). A few flashes and a short spell of heavy rain given me 5.6 mm. As storms goes, I have experienced worse in the past. Even the wind has dropped down after having been a nagging NE all day. 

Folkestone Harbour. 
Matty H
05 June 2022 00:10:53
Anyone who knows me knows that I find UK thunderstorms totally and utterly boring. I can’t recall the last time I bothered to open the curtains and look. If ever, but I have been brought up on a diet of US storms.

But for the sake of reporting I did hear a rumble of thunder (just the one) about ten mins ago, here.
roadrunnerajn
05 June 2022 05:44:43

Originally Posted by: Matty H 

Anyone who knows me knows that I find UK thunderstorms totally and utterly boring. I can’t recall the last time I bothered to open the curtains and look. If ever, but I have been brought up on a diet of US storms.

But for the sake of reporting I did hear a rumble of thunder (just the one) about ten mins ago, here.

I have lived in Central America, Cyprus and spent time in Malaysia. I would of totally agreed with your post if it wasn’t for experiencing the storm in Northumberland on 19th September 2000.

A shallow tough over the Irish Sea developed into a supercell as it moved NE. It started at 20:30 and reached its height between 22:00-03:00 before slowly moving into the North Sea. 
Lightening flashes were over 80 a minute, lots of fork lightening and an aerial display I’ve never seen before or after. Rare pearl lightening which people have called thunder bolts in the past was witnessed. The thunder was deafening.

Germoe, part of the breakaway Celtic Republic.
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
05 June 2022 07:06:26

An underwhelming experience overnight with no flashes or rumbles here though it seems the Poole area saw some action.

The last event a few weeks back gave some lightning but even last nights rain failed to reach the places a decent downpour would have soaked.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Roger Parsons
05 June 2022 07:14:49

Originally Posted by: roadrunnerajn 

I have lived in Central America, Cyprus and spent time in Malaysia. I would of totally agreed with your post if it wasn’t for experiencing the storm in Northumberland on 19th September 2000.

A shallow tough over the Irish Sea developed into a supercell as it moved NE. It started at 20:30 and reached its height between 22:00-03:00 before slowly moving into the North Sea. 
Lightening flashes were over 80 a minute, lots of fork lightening and an aerial display I’ve never seen before or after. Rare pearl lightening which people have called thunder bolts in the past was witnessed. The thunder was deafening.

Like you, I have lived all over the world and seen some crackers. Two of the most dramatic T-strms I encountered were in Belgium and Italy. The only really outstanding one in the UK was in South Cambridgeshire in the 1970s on the "Last Night of the Proms" when we could enjoy the extraordinary display with music!

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
05 June 2022 07:56:57

5th Sep 1958 - by a large margin the most spectacular UK storm I've seen, a supercell outdoing several large storms seen in Europe

file:///C:/Users/Admin/Downloads/MM_10_1960.pdf - a long read but with accounts of giant hail, tornados (plural), several stations reporting more than 2500 lightning flashes/hr, and rainfall records broken (5" in 2 hours at Knockholt, Kent, and cattle drowned in the Weald as hammer pond dams broke)

For me, 16 years old at the time and in Orpington only a few miles from Knockholt, the most distinctive feature was the reversal of gale force winds from SE to NW with a calm patch of blue sky in between - a hurricane feature in miniature

Chichester 12m asl