picturesareme
17 January 2022 17:39:17

Originally Posted by: lanky 

Krakatoa and Tambora both reduced global temperatures by around 1C for a year or more

Do we know if this eruption was anywhere near this in scale though. I guess one could  pro-rate the effect

Tambora no, Krakatoa could be closer but unlikely. However the amount of SO2 released seems so far to be very low so global climate change unlikely.

Darren S
17 January 2022 17:39:46

Also worth borrowing what Dan Holley posted on Facebook (click for larger version):

Quote:

Six back garden weather stations very approximately spaced 250km apart going north to south across the UK, highlighting the southward propagation of the initial shockwave and then the northward propagation of the second portion of the wave coming round the other side of the world.

Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
picturesareme
17 January 2022 17:41:16

Originally Posted by: Darren S 

Bit late to the party here, but I was discussing this elsewhere. My PWS here clearly picked up the first wave on Saturday evening at 7.45pm:

And the second wave on Sunday morning at 1.50am:

The second wave would have been from the other wave, there was after those a further wave detected by metoffice on Monday as the blast circled the globe for a second time.

doctormog
17 January 2022 17:50:52

Originally Posted by: Darren S 

Also worth borrowing what Dan Holley posted on Facebook (click for larger version):

I bet a few people might be surprised to see the far north of Scotland is hundreds of km north of here too. 

four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
17 January 2022 17:52:46

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

The second wave would have been from the other wave, there was after those a further wave detected by metoffice on Monday as the blast circled the globe for a second time.

I wonder when that was I have a wiggle at about 2pm (today 17th)  is not dissimilar to the previous ones.

https://i.postimg.cc/j5KwhxYL/t3.jpg

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

picturesareme
17 January 2022 17:58:54

Originally Posted by: four 

I wonder when that was I have a wiggle at about 2pm (today 17th)  is not dissimilar to the previous ones.

Monday morning apparently.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CY1pyY_rEAR/?utm_medium=copy_link

Not sure if this link will work unless you have Instagram but it's the metoffice video.

doctormog
17 January 2022 18:02:54
I think it is that little blip on your graph just before 7am. I have a similar one at around 6:30am.
Essan
17 January 2022 18:10:23

Originally Posted by: four 

Me too.  That was the second passing of shockwave #2 - interesting that on my WS it was more distinct than when it first passed over.

My WS went down overnight, but I think I also just caught the edge of shockwave #1's second passing this morning, as well.

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
polarwind
18 January 2022 09:39:40

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

Tambora no, Krakatoa could be closer but unlikely. However the amount of SO2 released seems so far to be very low so global climate change unlikely.

I would agree with your views here. And as you say, the SO2 was reported as very low.

The height of the ash column however was I think exceptional? Does this mean that the ash gets spread around the Earth, initially, at that height and slowly disperses to lower levels? Might the extra height make the ash more effective in reducing temperatures?

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)
"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat
Dave,Derby
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
18 January 2022 10:48:26

Originally Posted by: polarwind 

I would agree with your views here. And as you say, the SO2 was reported as very low.

The height of the ash column however was I think exceptional? Does this mean that the ash gets spread around the Earth, initially, at that height and slowly disperses to lower levels? Might the extra height make the ash more effective in reducing temperatures?

I have no idea on reducing temps but it will be interesting to observe the effect on sunsets.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-paintings-sunsets-immortalize-past-volcanic-eruptions-180950254/

https://philologiavt.org/articles/10.21061/ph.173/

And plenty more references when you look. Fascinating.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Roger Parsons
18 January 2022 10:58:54

Originally Posted by: NMA 

I have no idea on reducing temps but it will be interesting to observe the effect on sunsets.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-paintings-sunsets-immortalize-past-volcanic-eruptions-180950254/

https://philologiavt.org/articles/10.21061/ph.173/

And plenty more references when you look. Fascinating.

I did make a point of observing the full Moon last might, perhaps to note some vague indication of dust in the atmosphere. It put on a GREAT show - but no sign of any subtle colour or other change to me. I'm wondering whether more sophisticated instruments might have detected something. Comments welcome.

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
18 January 2022 11:07:04

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons 

I did make a point of observing the full Moon last might, perhaps to note some vague indication of dust in the atmosphere. It put on a GREAT show - but no sign of any subtle colour or other change to me. I'm wondering whether more sophisticated instruments might have detected something. Comments welcome.

Roger

I would expect any dust high up would take time to spread around the world. Maybe if it has reached high up as they say it has, we would notice the effects in the weeks/months to come?

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
polarwind
18 January 2022 11:24:46

Roger

I think the ash dispersal will take a while just yet to reach us - perhaps a week or so?

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)
"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell
"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat
Dave,Derby
polarwind
18 January 2022 12:39:19

See - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-60039617  

Quote:

Tonga says it has been hit by an "unprecedented disaster", in the government's first update since a volcanic eruption triggered a tsunami.

In a statement, the government confirmed three deaths: two locals and a British national.

It said some of the smaller outlying islands were particularly badly affected, with all the houses destroyed on one and just two left on another.

Aid efforts have been hampered by ash falling from the volcano.

Volunteers have been sweeping the runway of the main airport to allow planes bringing much needed drinking water and supplies to land.

Communications with the island chain have been disrupted after the single underwater cable connecting Tonga to the rest of the world was severed in the eruption.

Plus more on the pressure waves

Such damage at what - 40 miles?

Edit: The Tsunami obviously caused much damage, but what damage might the explosion have caused? (I knew a senior civil defence planner and at the time of the 'Cuban crisis' I became aware of the extent of the damage that 'large explosions' can cause.)

Dave,Derby
Roger Parsons
18 January 2022 13:19:01

Quote:

Tonga says it has been hit by an "unprecedented disaster", in the government's first update since a volcanic eruption triggered a tsunami.

In a statement, the government confirmed three deaths: two locals and a British national.

It said some of the smaller outlying islands were particularly badly affected, with all the houses destroyed on one and just two left on another.

Aid efforts have been hampered by ash falling from the volcano.

Volunteers have been sweeping the runway of the main airport to allow planes bringing much needed drinking water and supplies to land.

Communications with the island chain have been disrupted after the single underwater cable connecting Tonga to the rest of the world was severed in the eruption.

Plus more on the pressure waves

Such damage at what - 40 miles?

Your mailbox is full. PW - so I shall post this here instead.

I very much enjoy your Russell quote whenever I see your posts, PW. I came across a similar one recently and wondered if you had encountered it. I felt he may have said one version and written another. Credible?

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

Roger

RogerP
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
polarwind
18 January 2022 14:03:34

Your mailbox is full. PW - so I shall post this here instead.

I very much enjoy your Russell quote whenever I see your posts, PW. I came across a similar one recently and wondered if you had encountered it. I felt he may have said one version and written another. Credible?

"The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt."

Roger

I've seen other versions too. I haven't given Russel much thought for a long time, but a couple of months ago, I borrowed his biography from a friend and reacquainted myself with him.

One story that I do remember about him was when he intervened at a 'meeting' somewhere when an American General? discussing atomic bombs said that his nation now had clean bombs. Russel asked if they were going to pass on to the Russians the science that would enable them to make 'clean' atomic bombs. The American was displeased about this suggestion, so Russel explained why - and that was whilst in a war, the Americans would be dropping 'clean' bombs on the Russians, the Russians would be dropping dirty bombs on them.

The General didn't have an answer to this and did a lot of huffing and puffing.

He had a fantastic brain and liked the ladies.

Dave,Derby
Chunky Pea
18 January 2022 16:38:37

The 'pressure waves' as picked up on my own personal weather station in east Galway:

What is interesting in that graph is that the 2nd wave (around 2am) is a total inversion of the first one. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Roger Parsons
18 January 2022 17:11:07

I would expect any dust high up would take time to spread around the world. Maybe if it has reached high up as they say it has, we would notice the effects in the weeks/months to come?

Cracking moonrise tonight. 17.00hrs. Look east. Golden.
Roger

RogerP
Jiries
18 January 2022 21:49:13

I remember the great volcano in the Philippines in 1991 had made most of the N Hemisphere very cold except the UK with many places in the Middle East had 0 to 7C maximums, like Nicosia 4C, Cairo and Alexandria 5C, Luxor 7C, Tel Aviv 5C, Jerusalem and Amman subzero with 1.2m of snow depth in my cousin place in Amman, 6C in Riyadh, 7C in Kuwait, 16C in Jeddah and Mecca and many places in EU was very cold only the UK stay very mild snow free winter with temperatures 7-13C which was the warmest place in N Hemisphere for winter 1991/1992.

polarwind
21 January 2022 09:17:25

I saw a news clip yesterday saying that SO2 levels were now being reported as high!. There may well be temperature consequences..../

Dave,Derby