Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline polarwind  
#1 Posted : 27 November 2021 11:18:58(UTC)
polarwind

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 04/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 8,903
Man
Location: Derby

This wasn't expected.....

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-hurricanes-for-first-time-in-65-years-as-cyclone-activity-stops-98phndpzx 

 

After a hectic start to the Atlantic hurricane season, cyclone activity around the world has come to a sudden halt, leaving seas eerily silent and scientists stumped.

For weeks, the oceans have been quiet and the tropics devoid of cyclones. Not one hurricane-strength storm has formed since October 29. This has happened only twice since 1966, Phil Klotzbach, a hurricane researcher at Colorado State University, told The Washington Post.

and......

...........

Anyone care to comment?

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)

"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat

Dave,Derby

Wanna join the discussion?! Login to your TheWeatherOutlook forum account. New Registrations are disabled.

Offline tallyho_83  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2021 12:05:33(UTC)
tallyho_83

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 15/07/2009(UTC)
Posts: 11,507
Location: Devon

I did notice this - I am unsure when the last Atlantic Hurricane was and it's a surprise given how warm the Atlantic has been this season esp the tropical regions.
Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)

---------------------------------------

Sean Moon

Magical Moon

www.magical-moon.com

Offline johncs2016  
#3 Posted : 27 November 2021 12:57:44(UTC)
johncs2016

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 13/06/2016(UTC)
Posts: 8,657
Man
United Kingdom
Location: The NW of Edinburgh

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 Go to Quoted Post
I did notice this - I am unsure when the last Atlantic Hurricane was and it's a surprise given how warm the Atlantic has been this season esp the tropical regions.

Another thing to consider is that there is also a weak to moderate La Nina in the Equatorial Pacific Ocean which normally promotes the formation of Atlantic hunnricanes and dampens down the formation of any Pacific hurricanes. I can therefore see why we've not been seeing any Pacific hurricanes just lately, but this just makes the recent lack of Atlantic hurricanes even more puzzling as I would have thought that La Nina would have made this less likely to happen.

 

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.

Offline Essan  
#4 Posted : 27 November 2021 13:02:09(UTC)
Essan

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 32,840
Antarctica
Location: Albion

The last named storm in the Atlantic was Wanda in early November.   However the last actual hurricane was Sam in Sept/Oct

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2021-11-22-2021-hurricane-season-recap

Andy

Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl

Weather & Earth Science News

Offline polarwind  
#5 Posted : 27 November 2021 14:13:08(UTC)
polarwind

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 04/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 8,903
Man
Location: Derby

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 Go to Quoted Post
I did notice this - I am unsure when the last Atlantic Hurricane was and it's a surprise given how warm the Atlantic has been this season esp the tropical regions.
It's a particular surprise when we are reasonably told that global warming temperatures will lead to more and increasingly strong hurricanes.

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)

"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat

Dave,Derby

Offline John S2  
#6 Posted : 27 November 2021 14:25:49(UTC)
John S2

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 06/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 1,814
Location: West Yorks/East Lancs

Originally Posted by: polarwind Go to Quoted Post

It's a particular surprise when we are reasonably told that global warming temperatures will lead to more and increasingly strong hurricanes.

The evidence is that when hurricanes do form they are intensifying more quickly than previously and becoming stronger.

The situation regarding the actual number that form is less clear.

There will continue to be considerable year to year variability in the number that form in particular months as there are several factors that can dampen or enhance formation in the short term.

Offline Essan  
#7 Posted : 27 November 2021 14:38:38(UTC)
Essan

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 32,840
Antarctica
Location: Albion

Originally Posted by: polarwind Go to Quoted Post

It's a particular surprise when we are reasonably told that global warming temperatures will lead to more and increasingly strong hurricanes.




We had the 3rd highest number of named Atlantic storms this season    



Andy

Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl

Weather & Earth Science News

Offline polarwind  
#8 Posted : 27 November 2021 15:21:38(UTC)
polarwind

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 04/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 8,903
Man
Location: Derby

Originally Posted by: Essan Go to Quoted Post




We had the 3rd highest number of named Atlantic storms this season    



When I 'collected' train numbers, a 'namer' always carried much more importance than a train with no name! Don't you agree?

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)

"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat

Dave,Derby

Offline polarwind  
#9 Posted : 29 November 2021 16:17:00(UTC)
polarwind

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 04/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 8,903
Man
Location: Derby

Old news, but thought this piece on the coldest recorded winter in Antarctica worth putting here.

 

Between April and September, a research station sitting on a high plateau in Antarctica, registered an average temperature of minus 78 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 61 degrees Celsius). That's the coldest temperature recorded since record keeping began in 1957, and about 4.5 F (2.5 C) lower than the most recent 30-year average, according to The Washington Post

The previous record for the coldest winter was minus 77 F (minus 60.6 C) in 1976, Stefano Di Battista, a journalist wrote on Twitter. The Post learned of this record through Battista, but then confirmed the information with Richard Cullather, a research scientist at NASA's Global Modeling and Assimilation Office

 

from - https://www.livescience.com/south-pole-coldest-winter-record 

 

Is this just a blip?

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)

"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat

Dave,Derby

Offline Rob K  
#10 Posted : 29 November 2021 16:58:43(UTC)
Rob K

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 02/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 25,045
Location: Northeast Hampshire

Looks like some serious damage in Istanbul from high winds today - maybe tornadic? https://twitter.com/ragi...atus/1465357555144798209
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

Offline Gandalf The White  
#11 Posted : 29 November 2021 17:18:24(UTC)
Gandalf The White

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 51,773
Man

Originally Posted by: polarwind Go to Quoted Post

Old news, but thought this piece on the coldest recorded winter in Antarctica worth putting here.

 

Between April and September, a research station sitting on a high plateau in Antarctica, registered an average temperature of minus 78 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 61 degrees Celsius). That's the coldest temperature recorded since record keeping began in 1957, and about 4.5 F (2.5 C) lower than the most recent 30-year average, according to The Washington Post

The previous record for the coldest winter was minus 77 F (minus 60.6 C) in 1976, Stefano Di Battista, a journalist wrote on Twitter. The Post learned of this record through Battista, but then confirmed the information with Richard Cullather, a research scientist at NASA's Global Modeling and Assimilation Office

 

from - https://www.livescience.com/south-pole-coldest-winter-record 

 

Is this just a blip?

Did you create this thread as a shop window for your entrenched and dubious climate change skepticism?

Location: South Cambridgeshire

130 metres ASL

52.0N 0.1E

Offline polarwind  
#12 Posted : 29 November 2021 18:03:38(UTC)
polarwind

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 04/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 8,903
Man
Location: Derby

Originally Posted by: Gandalf The White Go to Quoted Post

cry 

Did you create this thread as a shop window for your entrenched and dubious climate change skepticism?

Not at all. I've always been fascinated with extreme, unusual and outstanding weather events over the planet - think of thunderstorms, snowstorms, hailstorms, very cold and very warm periods, very wet and very dry periods. 

And you do know that I'm not a sceptic as you would describe it - my position is that there is and has been recent global warming and CO2 plays its part. I just rationalise that historical and climatological evidence confirms that there are other causes to climate change other than CO2. The question to answer for me is what proportion of global warming is the result of CO2.

All that of course can be and has to be discussed elsewhere. cool

 

 

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)

"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat

Dave,Derby

Offline polarwind  
#13 Posted : 29 November 2021 18:36:10(UTC)
polarwind

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 04/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 8,903
Man
Location: Derby

Originally Posted by: Rob K Go to Quoted Post
Looks like some serious damage in Istanbul from high winds today - maybe tornadic? https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1465357555144798209

Wow! Certainly very strong winds and tornadic in my eyes. Quantum will know.

 

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)

"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat

Dave,Derby

Offline Chunky Pea  
#14 Posted : 29 November 2021 18:42:45(UTC)
Chunky Pea

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 28/10/2013(UTC)
Posts: 18,476
Man
Ireland
Location: East Galway, Ireland 35 m asl

Originally Posted by: polarwind Go to Quoted Post

Not at all. I've always been fascinated with extreme, unusual and outstanding weather events over the planet - think of thunderstorms, snowstorms, hailstorms, very cold and very warm periods, very wet and very dry periods. 

And you do know that I'm not a sceptic as you would describe it - my position is that there is and has been recent global warming and CO2 plays its part. I just rationalise that historical and climatological evidence confirms that there are other causes to climate change other than CO2. The question to answer for me is what proportion of global warming is the result of CO2.

All that of course can be and has to be discussed elsewhere. cool

Sweden, apparently, recorded one of its coldest temperatures in decades just recently:

https://twitter.com/ZdenekNejedly/status/1464912308812103686

And rumour has it that Australia is currently going through its coolest November since the late 90s. 

Ireland 2022 Monthly Average/D.F. 81-10.

May: 12.3c / +1.4c

June: 13.7c / +0.4c

Year (up to July 2nd) 9.3c / +0.9c

Offline Gandalf The White  
#15 Posted : 29 November 2021 18:51:11(UTC)
Gandalf The White

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 12/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 51,773
Man

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea Go to Quoted Post

 

Sweden, apparently, recorded one of its coldest temperatures in decades just recently:

https://twitter.com/ZdenekNejedly/status/1464912308812103686

And rumour has it that Australia is currently going through its coolest November since the late 90s. 

Well, of course, there will still be new records set for coolest/coldest but the evidence shows that the records are falling predominantly at the other end of the scale, i.e. warmest/hottest.   Plus, of course, record droughts and floods, both of which are associated with disruption to normal weather patterns.

Location: South Cambridgeshire

130 metres ASL

52.0N 0.1E

Offline polarwind  
#16 Posted : 29 November 2021 18:54:24(UTC)
polarwind

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 04/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 8,903
Man
Location: Derby

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea Go to Quoted Post

 

Sweden, apparently, recorded one of its coldest temperatures in decades just recently:

https://twitter.com/ZdenekNejedly/status/1464912308812103686

And rumour has it that Australia is currently going through its coolest November since the late 90s. 

Something to do with the Antarctic's coldest winter ever recorded maybe?

"The professional standards of science must impose a framework of discipline and at the same time encourage rebellion against it". – Michael Polyani (1962)

"If climate science is sound and accurate, then it should be able to respond effectively to all the points raised…." - Grandad

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts". - Bertrand Russell

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman

"A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one believes individually.”- Abba Eban, Israeli diplomat

Dave,Derby

Offline Chunky Pea  
#17 Posted : 29 November 2021 19:00:22(UTC)
Chunky Pea

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 28/10/2013(UTC)
Posts: 18,476
Man
Ireland
Location: East Galway, Ireland 35 m asl

Originally Posted by: Gandalf The White Go to Quoted Post

 

Well, of course, there will still be new records set for coolest/coldest but the evidence shows that the records are falling predominantly at the other end of the scale, i.e. warmest/hottest.   Plus, of course, record droughts and floods, both of which are associated with disruption to normal weather patterns.

All very true. 

Ireland 2022 Monthly Average/D.F. 81-10.

May: 12.3c / +1.4c

June: 13.7c / +0.4c

Year (up to July 2nd) 9.3c / +0.9c

Offline Chunky Pea  
#18 Posted : 29 November 2021 19:01:53(UTC)
Chunky Pea

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 28/10/2013(UTC)
Posts: 18,476
Man
Ireland
Location: East Galway, Ireland 35 m asl

Originally Posted by: polarwind Go to Quoted Post

 

Something to do with the Antarctic's coldest winter ever recorded maybe?

No doubt that was a big factor I'd say. What will be interesting to see is how long that cold will last.

Ireland 2022 Monthly Average/D.F. 81-10.

May: 12.3c / +1.4c

June: 13.7c / +0.4c

Year (up to July 2nd) 9.3c / +0.9c

Offline Essan  
#19 Posted : 29 November 2021 19:30:02(UTC)
Essan

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 05/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 32,840
Antarctica
Location: Albion

Andy

Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl

Weather & Earth Science News

Offline Rob K  
#20 Posted : 29 November 2021 20:04:14(UTC)
Rob K

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 02/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 25,045
Location: Northeast Hampshire

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea Go to Quoted Post

 

Sweden, apparently, recorded one of its coldest temperatures in decades just recently:

https://twitter.com/ZdenekNejedly/status/1464912308812103686

And rumour has it that Australia is currently going through its coolest November since the late 90s. 

I saw a post on Twitter a couple of weeks ago showing snow right down to sea level in Hobart. Pretty unusual for mid-November, akin to mid-May in the northern hemisphere.

Tasmania is of course a pretty chilly part of the world with nothing but cold ocean between it and Antarctica. I was there in January one year, the height of summer, and missed some decent snowfall across the highlands by a week.

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

Users browsing this topic
10 Pages123>»
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Code of conduct

× FORUM Settings USER PHOTOS Sky Eye Camera Sky Eye Gallery MODEL CHARTS Arome Arpege ECM ECM ENS GEM GEFS GFS Icon E Fax CFS UK Met UK Met UK UK Met UKV UK Met MOGREPS-G