roadrunnerajn
26 November 2021 22:13:14

Really good swirl of cloud around the low showing on the rainfall radar.

Germoe, part of the breakaway Celtic Republic.
Jiries
26 November 2021 22:19:53

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea 

Not sure if is the same general concept, but I've often noticed that winds from a northern or eastern direction seem to be more boisterous and wild than winds of the same speeds from the more usual west or south direction. 

Agreed as when we get Easterly or NE the air and wind type seem different and rougher than W, SW and S winds feel softer flow.

johncs2016
26 November 2021 22:27:40

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea 

Not sure if is the same general concept, but I've often noticed that winds from a northern or eastern direction seem to be more boisterous and wild than winds of the same speeds from the more usual west or south direction. 

Of course, Gavin P. has been telling us quite a lot in his most recent videos that this is a very unusual situation which we are as named storms normally occur when the jet stream is coming straight at us across the Atlantic with a more zonal setup, so to get one when the jet stream is more buckled with a much more meridional setup such as what we have just now is very rare indeed.

As a result of that, most of our biggest wind gusts usually come from the west or SW. Here in Edinburgh, we have had some high wind gusts before from the east or NE and those are usually very boisterous due to those winds coming straight in from off the North Sea. However, these are much less common and tend to occur in those type of zonal setups where the jet steam is further south, resulting in those low pressure systems taking a much more southerly track with that resulting in our winds coming from the east or NE due to those low pressure systems passing to our south.

Since our named storms usually come from more zonal setups, this means that storm force winds from the north or the south (especially if there is an eaasterly component to the latter of those two cases), are probably even rarer still and in all of the time that I have been a member of this forum, this has probably only been the first time ever, that I have reported any sort of high wind gusts from the north.

As I write, I can also report that the maximum wind gust at Edinburgh Gogarbank has now increased to 46.0 mph from the north as at 10pm tonight.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Tim A
26 November 2021 22:32:28

58mph gusts here so far. Snow turned back to sleet, associated with slightly warmer air moving down the east. Lying snow in Dales seems to be above 250-300m at the moment.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Chunky Pea
26 November 2021 22:44:49

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Of course, Gavin P. has been telling us quite a lot in his most recent videos that this is a very unusual situation which we are as named storms normally occur when the jet stream is coming straight at us across the Atlantic with a more zonal setup, so to get one when the jet stream is more buckled with a much more meridional setup such as what we have just now is very rare indeed.

As a result of that, most of our biggest wind gusts usually come from the west or SW. Here in Edinburgh, we have had some high wind gusts before from the east or NE and those are usually very boisterous due to those winds coming straight in from off the North Sea. However, these are much less common and tend to occur in those type of zonal setups where the jet steam is further south, resulting in those low pressure systems taking a much more southerly track with that resulting in our winds coming from the east or NE due to those low pressure systems passing to our south.

Since our named storms usually come from more zonal setups, this means that storm force winds from the north or the south (especially if there is an eaasterly component to the latter of those two cases), are probably even rarer still and in all of the time that I have been a member of this forum, this has probably only been the first time ever, that I have reported any sort of high wind gusts from the north.

As I write, I can also report that the maximum wind gust at Edinburgh Gogarbank has now increased to 46.0 mph from the north as at 10pm tonight.

Unusual pattern alright although the current set up does bear some similarities (though not totally of course) with the 2nd half of November 1981. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Russwirral
26 November 2021 22:45:22
Loads of shinanigans going on at liverpool manchester and leeds airports. Planes unable to land. Some have, but so.e otyers have been aborting

One flight easyjet to amsterdam tried twice at liverpool, went to manchester and now appears to be heading to birmingham.
johncs2016
26 November 2021 22:56:56

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

Loads of shinanigans going on at liverpool manchester and leeds airports. Planes unable to land. Some have, but so.e otyers have been aborting

One flight easyjet to amsterdam tried twice at liverpool, went to manchester and now appears to be heading to birmingham.

To be honest, I don't know why they couldn't have just cancelled those flights as the flight operators must surely have known what the weather was going to be like for quite some time (this event was forecast quite well in advance within the model output) and so, they should have been able to prepare properly for that. This in turn, would have prevented a lot of these problems.

Of course, that wouldn't been very good for the paying passengers, but they probably would have been very understanding of the situation if they know what was happening, and why such actions were being taken.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
White Meadows
26 November 2021 23:42:03

To be honest, I don't know why they couldn't have just cancelled those flights as the flight operators must surely have known what the weather was going to be like for quite some time (this event was forecast quite well in advance within the model output) and so, they should have been able to prepare properly for that. This in turn, would have prevented a lot of these problems.

Of course, that wouldn't been very good for the paying passengers, but they probably would have been very understanding of the situation if they know what was happening, and why such actions were being taken.

Ultimately it’s pure, unbridled greed that drives these decisions. Sad to say. 

KevBrads1
27 November 2021 06:45:43
Wild night overnight. Very gusty winds, wet snow fell for a time. Not seen the clouds flyby this fast on one of my timelapses for awhile

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
27 November 2021 07:01:30
There's been very severe gusts and some minor roof damage here by the look of it, my wind gauge is a bit sheltered from north but says 58mph was highest (so far).
Power out for a couple of hours and a very violent heavy hail shower about 4am made an amazing din.
It's unusual to get very high winds from the North there will have been a lot of damage on sea fronts most exposed to it
Crepuscular Ray
27 November 2021 07:10:17
Hardly any impact from Arwen here. A windy night with a bit of rain but highest gust seems to have been 46mph. We regularly get much worse with a W or SW blow through the Central Belt from unnamed Low's
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Bolty
27 November 2021 07:24:50
It's well and truly blowing a hooley at the moment, as it has for most of the night.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
johncs2016
27 November 2021 07:50:30

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

Hardly any impact from Arwen here. A windy night with a bit of rain but highest gust seems to have been 46mph. We regularly get much worse with a W or SW blow through the Central Belt from unnamed Low's

That highest gust was enough to give us our windiest day of this autumn so far, but wasn't enough to give us our windiest day of this year. For that, we need to go back to 23 February 2021 when we had a maximum wind gust of 55.2 mph from the south at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

Even that bit of rain amounted to just the usual fraction of a millimeter over the last 24 hour period which isn't even enough to to be worth actually reporting in my books.

At the end of the day, I am just absolutely sick and tired of all of the more interesting weather happening elsewhere in the UK whilst Edinburgh continues to get virtually nothing at all in that regard.

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
27 November 2021 08:31:14

That highest gust was enough to give us our windiest day of this autumn so far, but wasn't enough to give us our windiest day of this year. For that, we need to go back to 23 February 2021 when we had a maximum wind gust of 55.2 mph from the SSE at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

Even that bit of rain amounted to just the usual fraction of a millimeter over the last 24 hour period which isn't even enough to to be worth actually reporting in my books.

At the end of the day, I am just absolutely sick and tired of all of the more interesting weather happening elsewhere in the UK whilst Edinburgh continues to get virtually nothing at all in that regard.

I don't quite understand why Edinburgh missed out here. OK, you're not right on the east coast to get the full brunt of it but you didn't even get much rain, let alone snow. Here it was a pretty wild night, lashing rain/sleet much of the time and I awoke to a smattering of lying snow on favoured surfaces.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Rob K
27 November 2021 08:39:04
Not much wind to speak of here yet but it is forecast to get stronger through the afternoon.

Rain turned to sleet then briefly to wet snow before stopping a few mins ago.

Relatives in Sheffield have posted photos of a good few inches of snow.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
johncs2016
27 November 2021 08:55:37

Originally Posted by: Col 

I don't quite understand why Edinburgh missed out here. OK, you're not right on the east coast to get the full brunt of it but you didn't even get much rain, let alone snow. Here it was a pretty wild night, lashing rain/sleet much of the time and I awoke to a smattering of lying snow on favoured surfaces.

From that though, I'm sure that you will now be able to see what I mean when I always say that Edinburgh just doesn't generally get interesting weather, even when everywhere else is. The situation as regards to a lack of rainfall in this part of the world has been going on throughout this month, and isn't just something which happened last night with Storm Arwen.

The end result of this is that as at 8am this morning, a total of just 11.4 mm of rain has been recorded as the total for the whole of this month at Edinburgh Gogarbank. Not much in the way of rainfall is forecast to fall here either during the rest of this month and so according to all of the data which I have, this month is now almost certainly going to go down as our driest November on record as a result, which also means that this autumn will go down as being drier than average despite the very wet October which we had.

richardabdn
27 November 2021 08:56:38

Not nearly as severe as was predicted. Couldn't even manage 70mph here and I can't see any 90-100mph gusts anywhere. Inverbervie had 78mph.

Peak windspeed was 68mph at Dyce which is the second highest gust in the 21st Century after 75mph in Dec 2011 but to put that into context every single year between 1965 and 1976 recorded a gust of at least 68mph and the average yearly peak gust was in fact 71 mph between 1952 and 1989 compared to just 60mph for the 21st Century to date 

It was just a nasty unpleasant spell of repulsive weather that, like everything we get nowadays, couldn't match the severity of what we used to get in the past 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
MRayner
27 November 2021 09:41:47

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Not nearly as severe as was predicted. Couldn't even manage 70mph here and I can't see any 90-100mph gusts anywhere. Inverbervie had 78mph.

Peak windspeed was 68mph at Dyce which is the second highest gust in the 21st Century after 75mph in Dec 2011 but to put that into context every single year between 1965 and 1976 recorded a gust of at least 68mph and the average yearly peak gust was in fact 71 mph between 1952 and 1989 compared to just 60mph for the 21st Century to date 

It was just a nasty unpleasant spell of repulsive weather that, like everything we get nowadays, couldn't match the severity of what we used to get in the past 

[/quote

stats are not always the full story

I take it you didn’t loose power for a long period then ! Like most of the northeast did, and still are without power, and the hundreds of trees felled was also not noteworthy ? Careful what you wish for 😳

some personal weather stations ( not calibrated) did show gusts of 93 mph at Portsoy and 98 mph at Gardenstown, I would call that noteworthy.

Location Whisky 🥃 country, Cragganmore ,Moray, 440 AMSL
snow 2004
27 November 2021 09:45:21
We really took a battering last night. Some incredible gusts at several points during the night. Easily 70mph + Definitely some local enhancement going on as the winds rolled off the 500m high hills to our North.

Probably worthy of an amber warning here tbh.

Multiple trees down in the area and more rural houses without power.
Glossop Derbyshire, 200m asl
doctormog