johncs2016
26 November 2021 18:51:41

Originally Posted by: howham 

Didn't Edinburgh do well in February for Snow?  I also thought you had several hours of thunderstorm last year?

Well, we'll see what happens from here but last February counts as last winter, and we are now going into a different winter. Based on the fact that other recent winters have been virtually snowless here, we can't really say that having that one snowy month during last winter is enough for us to then be able to claim that our weather is generally interesting.

As for thunderstorm activity, you are pointing towards something which happened last year, and which now occured almost a year and a half ago. During last summer though (which was this year's summer), we had virtually nothing in the way of thunderstorm activity.

Those two events which you have mentioned are both events which occurred more than almost a year ago and the fact that we can count all of these types of events which we have had in that timeframe with our first five fingers, shows that we just generally don't get interesting weather in this part of the world.

Remember as well, that saying that we generally don't get interesting weather is not the same thing as saying that we never get interesting weather which is something which I have never ever claimed. It just means that interesting weather is very much a very rare thing in these parts.

Anway, it is still windy here, but the maximum wind gusts at Edinburgh Gogarbank are still no higher than 39.1 mph from the WNW and those gusts have even come down slightly suring the last couple of hours.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Russwirral
26 November 2021 18:57:01
I think the UK as a whole have had little to non thubderstorms this year. Virtually no spanish plumes to speak of, or imported continental humid air.

This followed 2020 which was fantastic for these events

Polar Low
26 November 2021 18:57:52

Wind speeds models,

change model at top time scales at left side.

https://weather.us/model-charts/gbr/united-kingdom/gusts-3h-mph/20211127-0000z.html

Chunky Pea
26 November 2021 18:58:51

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Anway, it is still windy here, but the maximum wind gusts at Edinburgh Gogarbank are still no higher than 39.1 mph from the WNW and those gusts have even come down slightly suring the last couple of hours.

Not very strong in the great scheme of things, but I suppose with the combination of cold rain/sleet and bitter feeling temps, that the situation is not very pleasant at all. We have just 'ordinary' winds here currently (20-30 kt gusts) but it is thoroughly horrible outside. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
johncs2016
26 November 2021 19:08:51

I have also noticed that the air pressure at Edinburgh Gogarbank reached its minimum value at 4pm this afternoon. At that time, the pressure as shown by the station's barometer was 980.8 mb. I have calculated from this that the air pressure as corrected to mean sea level was 987.7 mb at that time, and the raw SYNOP data for that station at that same time was also in complete agreement with that.

This is exactly the same time as when we recorded our highest wind gust at Edinburgh Gogarbank and since then, the air pressure has slowly started to increase once again.with the wind now coming from the NW. This would suggest that the winds have probably got as high as what they are going to get, thus confirming that this really has just been a damp squib after all, especially when you consider that we have never got to the point where it has actually been raining all that heavily here.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
noodle doodle
26 November 2021 19:31:52

As for thunderstorm activity, you are pointing towards something which happened last year, and which now occured almost a year and a half ago. During last summer though (which was this year's summer), we had virtually nothing in the way of thunderstorm activity.

Happened this summer as well - penetrated my kitchen roof :-(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-57718384 

NickR
26 November 2021 19:41:08
Strong winds and blowing snow here for the last few hours.
Nick
Durham
[email protected]
Essan
26 November 2021 19:50:29

A cold, calm, starry night down here 

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
johncs2016
26 November 2021 19:58:34

Originally Posted by: noodle doodle 

Happened this summer as well - penetrated my kitchen roof :-(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-57718384 

I couldn't really remember that at first, but it has now dawned on me that we had quite a big thunderstorm event at the beginning of July which flooded out the newly built St. James' Quarter complex shortly after it had first opened.

In the end though, that was just the one blip within what was a decent summer overall which was great for those who were staying at home for their holidays, but rather boring and uninteresting from a meteorological perspective.

dagspot
26 November 2021 20:20:54
poor old easyjets at GLA going round and round in 40knot gusts

Neilston 600ft ASL
idot
  • idot
  • Advanced Member
26 November 2021 20:30:13
you would really think they'd not fly given the very obvious weather issues - still
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
26 November 2021 20:32:03

My niece’s ferry from Ireland tonight was brought forward by two hours due to the storm.  Just a bit windy and gusty here with the odd rain shower so far.  I think I’ll have to sleep with the bedroom window closed though as I don’t want it blowing off it’s hinges in the night. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
doctormog
26 November 2021 20:41:13
A massive number of trees down around here and many roads are blocked. Quite a bit of debris and dozens of power cuts. I’m hoping the strongest of the winds will pass soon.
johncs2016
26 November 2021 20:43:39
The wind has picked up again here with maximum gusts at Edinburgh Gogarbank now reaching 41.4 mph from the NNW as at 8pm this evening but that is still a long way short of what had actually been forecast for here at this time.

Chunky Pea
26 November 2021 21:10:23

The wind has picked up again here with maximum gusts at Edinburgh Gogarbank now reaching 41.4 mph from the NNW as at 8pm this evening but that is still a long way short of what had actually been forecast for here at this time.

Don't be surprised if you get similar or stronger gusts overnight. Winds are nearly always their strongest when pressure is rising (indicating that a cold, unstable and potentially gusty air mass is moving in) 

Current Conditions

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
johncs2016
26 November 2021 21:33:13

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea 

Don't be surprised if you get similar or stronger gusts overnight. Winds are nearly always their strongest when pressure is rising (indicating that a cold, unstable and potentially gusty air mass is moving in) 

That isn't happening at the moment and in fact, the wind gusts over the last hour have come down slightly from the last reading. However, I am wondering whether or not the anemometer at Edinburgh Gogarbank might actually be recording a lower value for those wind gusts than what we are actually getting.

It is all very wild and noisy out there, and even the lampposts are swaying a bit in that wind. Because of that, I'm really surprised that these wind gusts which are being recorded aren't being reported as much higher than what is actually being reported.

As for cold air coming in, I would expect the temperature to be dropping a bit if that was actually happening but instead of that, the temperatures are just refusing to drop due to there being so much cloud and wind around.

I can also add that the main area of precipitation (not that we got much of that anyway, as has been the case throughout this month) has now pivoted around and is now in the process of clearing away to the SE.

Bagfish
26 November 2021 21:48:13
My anemometer registered a gust at 28mps just before we lost power. This is in South Cumbria, so it must be dreadful further east. There are well over 1000 homes without power in South Cumbria right now according to the electricity north west website.
Near Kendal, Cumbria
Home 180m asl
Weather Station 
four
  • four
  • Advanced Member
26 November 2021 21:58:02
Wind just went a bit East of North and temperature has gone up from +0.2 to nearly 3C - less wind too
There's an inch or two of wet snow melting steadily.

Saint Snow
26 November 2021 22:06:06

Originally Posted by: Bagfish 

My anemometer registered a gust at 28mps just before we lost power. This is in South Cumbria, so it must be dreadful further east. There are well over 1000 homes without power in South Cumbria right now according to the electricity north west website.

Last half hour here has seen the gusts really ramp up. I reckon North Wales is going to get battered. 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Chunky Pea
26 November 2021 22:10:03

That isn't happening at the moment and in fact, the wind gusts over the last hour have come down slightly from the last reading. However, I am wondering whether or not the anemometer at Edinburgh Gogarbank might actually be recording a lower value for those wind gusts than what we are actually getting.

It is all very wild and noisy out there, and even the lampposts are swaying a bit in that wind. Because of that, I'm really surprised that these wind gusts which are being recorded aren't being reported as much higher than what is actually being reported.

Not sure if is the same general concept, but I've often noticed that winds from a northern or eastern direction seem to be more boisterous and wild than winds of the same speeds from the more usual west or south direction. 

Current Conditions

--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022