Lionel Hutz
10 October 2021 10:59:24

Has anyone turned on theirs yet? We have(or rather my wife did), but only on one or two evenings. Usually, we would have had it running fairly regularly by now. I've only lit the woodburner a couple of times too. Usually, I would have had it on evenings but it just hasn't really felt quite cold enough for it yet. With a few colder nights forecast, we may need a bit of heating this week but overall, looks like we might be able to postpone central heating for a little bit longer again. 

Lionel Hutz
Nr.Waterford , S E Ireland
68m ASL

ARTzeman
10 October 2021 11:13:57

On and off for quite a while. Age and on a hillcrest facing north decrees it.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
ozone_aurora
10 October 2021 11:20:58

Had CH on briefly on several late night/early mornings last week but been completely off last few days.

Retron
10 October 2021 12:44:24

Mine's been on for a couple of weeks - set to 17C, or 15C if I'm out of the house. (Much lower than that and it's a recipe for mould! Hopefully new windows will help with that, the old aluminium double-glazed ones are terrible for it.)

Leysdown, north Kent
doctormog
10 October 2021 12:45:59

Set for 17.5°C here (14.5°C overnight) and has been on a small number of times in the last couple of weeks.

Edit: Just checked. It was on for 29 minutes yesterday.

Hungry Tiger
10 October 2021 13:41:27

Put mine on last Thursday week, September 30th.

It's an AGA and it's on its low setting.

I hope I can get into November before turning it up especially with oil at this price.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Cumbrian Snowman
10 October 2021 15:02:42
Central Heating - not yet and hopefully not until Mid November, jumper on in the evening will suffice.

Have a log burner which has been on a couple of times, but house is thick sandstone so hopefully we will be ok for a good while yet - 13c outside and 19c inside .
Essan
10 October 2021 15:14:50

My gas bill (heating and hot water) for last month was an eye-watering £6.94 so I will definitely be going careful this winter!

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Retron
10 October 2021 15:21:17

Originally Posted by: Essan 

My gas bill (heating and hot water) for last month was an eye-watering £6.94 so I will definitely be going careful this winter!

Amateur. Mine was 38p last month!

(That said, in February it was £168. The joys of a 1970s loft conversion...)

Leysdown, north Kent
Essan
10 October 2021 15:29:37
Most winters I only really put the heating on to dry the washing (when it's cold/damp/calm outside so hanging on the line doesn't work). And maybe for an hour first thing when I get up because I can't be bothered to get dressed.

Last time it was cold enough to need heating on all day was December 2010
Andy

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Essan
10 October 2021 15:33:04

Originally Posted by: Retron 

Amateur. Mine was 38p last month!

(That said, in February it was £168. The joys of a 1970s loft conversion...)

To be fair, mine included standing charge.  And provided me with constant hot water.    But on the other hand, it was only just over £50 last Feb when I was at home all the time.

Andy

Surrey John
10 October 2021 18:48:31
Had it on for couple of evenings a week ago downstairs, but has been off again since.
Not switched it on upstairs yet, (we have 2 zone system, each with own control)

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
35m ASL
The Beast from the East
10 October 2021 21:41:55
Been on since September 30. Which is a record for lateness for me. Normally goes on much earlier.
"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
fairweather
10 October 2021 23:31:03

Originally Posted by: The Beast from the East 

Been on since September 30. Which is a record for lateness for me. Normally goes on much earlier.

Turned mine up now from 17C to 20C (daytime only) but it's only come on very briefly early morning and late evening, if at all. I've got TRV's and a very good (Tado) smart thermostat and replaced my 30 year old conventional boiler and hot water cylinder in June so am hoping  for some savings (or should say efficiencies more like, what with rocketing energy prices.) I was only paying £78 p.m for gas and electricity till last month but now looks like it will go over £100 per month.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
11 October 2021 04:34:00

Ours is normally on a thermostat but we’ve been remodelling the living room and had the heating switched off while we sent the radiators off for sand blasting and re-painting.  They were only refitted last week and the weather got warmer but the heating has come on this morning for the first time.  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Roger Parsons
11 October 2021 05:04:06

Chatting to our local electrician yesterday he told me he was being asked to install quite a few infrared emitters on ceilings as a very effective and economical means of room heating. I'd never heard of these. One of his clients has them throughout his house, managed with an i-pad room by room. Worth a google. Apparently a lot of factories are going for them now as they "deliver" the heat to exactly where the humans are working and that's what matters. He was on his way to put one up in some social housing.

Effective heat transfer; How do infrared heaters work?
https://www.herschel-infrared.co.uk/how-do-infrared-heaters-work/

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
11 October 2021 05:56:05

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons 

Chatting to our local electrician yesterday he told me he was being asked to install quite a few infrared emitters on ceilings as a very effective and economical means of room heating. I'd never heard of these. One of his clients has them throughout his house, managed with an i-pad room by room. Worth a google. Apparently a lot of factories are going for them now as they "deliver" the heat to exactly where the humans are working and that's what matters. He was on his way to put one up in some social housing.

Effective heat transfer; How do infrared heaters work?
https://www.herschel-infrared.co.uk/how-do-infrared-heaters-work/

Roger

Thanks Roger for that. I've seen them but thought they would be expensive to run. 

Seriously considering one for office as although it's insulated on all sides it can get chilly in winter.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Whether Idle
11 October 2021 06:12:07

My boiler is due to be repaired by 22 October. I’m going to hold out until around Halloween time for central heating, as that’s when things seem to reach the point of no return for heating my house.

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Justin W
11 October 2021 06:22:14

We have a newish Rayburn Heatranger and a wood stove and burn about a ton of wood a month in the winter. All our heating, cooking and hot water come from it when it is running. At other times we use an immersion heater, an electric oven and gas hob.

During the winter we normally top up with the immersion and some electric heating (the house is a draughty 16th century cottage) but not this year: we will burn wood and radically reduce our electricity and propane consumption.

Anyway, the Rayburn has been lit on and off since mid September. 

Yo yo yo. 148-3 to the 3 to the 6 to the 9, representing the ABQ, what up, biatch?
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
11 October 2021 08:00:51

Now switched on for an hour each morning to take the chill off, in anticipation of cooler weather this week

EDIT Thermostat at 22C

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl