Chunky Pea
27 September 2021 15:52:55

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Monday is usually the sunniest day of the week the only exception is when it's a holiday.

This is interesting! When I took a look at similar long term stats for over here in Ireland a couple of years back, it was Tuesday that came in the sunniest overall day on average!! I can't remember fully now, but I think both Wednesday and Saturday were, on average, the wettest days of the week. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
27 September 2021 16:21:18

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea 

This is interesting! When I took a look at similar long term stats for over here in Ireland a couple of years back, it was Tuesday that came in the sunniest overall day on average!! I can't remember fully now, but I think both Wednesday and Saturday were, on average, the wettest days of the week. 

With any statistical significance though?

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Chunky Pea
27 September 2021 16:42:10

Originally Posted by: Col 

With any statistical significance though?

Who knows really. It is really more just interesting than anything else

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Bolty
28 September 2021 18:24:17
What a massive change in the weather from upper teens/low twenties and prolonged dryness to low teens and heavy showers or day-long rain. It feels like we've skipped from August into mid-October in the space of a couple of days. Autumn has definitely made its presence known.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Joe Bloggs
28 September 2021 19:01:48

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

What a massive change in the weather from upper teens/low twenties and prolonged dryness to low teens and heavy showers or day-long rain. It feels like we've skipped from August into mid-October in the space of a couple of days. Autumn has definitely made its presence known.

Totally agree. Feels like a nice change though in a way. 

Off topic for a second - I see you’ve moved house too! You’re gonna get more snow up there. 

I am now bang right in the middle of the city centre , probably the most snowless place in the NW. 

Love my new urban view even if it’s not to everyone’s taste.   πŸ˜‚

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

Bolty
28 September 2021 19:46:34

Originally Posted by: Joe Bloggs 

Off topic for a second - I see you’ve moved house too! You’re gonna get more snow up there. 

I am now bang right in the middle of the city centre , probably the most snowless place in the NW. 

Looks nice Joe. Personally no, it's not to my taste. I couldn't live in the middle of the city like that, but it's a very good spot for you.

We just moved last Friday. Our view is fields and cows!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HW4iFV8-1o

Scott
My weather station 
Joe Bloggs
28 September 2021 20:10:58

Looks nice Joe. Personally no, it's not to my taste. I couldn't live in the middle of the city like that, but it's a very good spot for you.

We just moved last Friday. Our view is fields and cows!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HW4iFV8-1o

If you squint you can just about see the Tegg’s Nose comms tower in the hills above Macclesfield, in-between the two biggest skyscrapers. Thats about as rural as I get ;-)! 

Nice video Scott and lovely rural location. Hopefully we both get some interesting weather through the autumn and winter. I might try and do a couple of timelapses. Most interesting so far has been a foggy morning with the towers poking out of the top. 

Figured this thread was the best one for my off topic ramblings. 

Bolty
28 September 2021 22:33:59

If you squint you can just about see the Tegg’s Nose comms tower in the hills above Macclesfield, in-between the two biggest skyscrapers. Thats about as rural as I get πŸ˜‰! 

Nice video Scott and lovely rural location. Hopefully we both get some interesting weather through the autumn and winter. I might try and do a couple of timelapses. Most interesting so far has been a foggy morning with the towers poking out of the top. 

Figured this thread was the best one for my off topic ramblings. 

Cheers Joe. Yes, you definitely should give a few time-lapses a go. Not only are they interesting to watch, but they are good for historic purposes too. That fog would have been a good one for instance - slowly watching the buildings and streets of Manchester emerge from the fog and into sunshine.

It will be interesting to see how the snow events are different up here. I'm about 65m higher up in Blackrod than I was in Failsworth and there is no UHI effect either so I imagine that will work in favour of it. However I'm also closer to the Irish Sea so that may work against...

Scott
My weather station 
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
29 September 2021 02:54:29

Cheers Joe. Yes, you definitely should give a few time-lapses a go. Not only are they interesting to watch, but they are good for historic purposes too. That fog would have been a good one for instance - slowly watching the buildings and streets of Manchester emerge from the fog and into sunshine.

It will be interesting to see how the snow events are different up here. I'm about 65m higher up in Blackrod than I was in Failsworth and there is no UHI effect either so I imagine that will work in favour of it. However I'm also closer to the Irish Sea so that may work against...

You're at a practically identical height to me so our snowfalls should be very similar. It will be interesting to compare reports this coming winter.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Saint Snow
29 September 2021 10:41:10

I'll give you a wave if I'm ever driving past 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Joe Bloggs
29 September 2021 20:57:10

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I'll give you a wave if I'm ever driving past 

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ please do!! 

Went out for a beer tonight, nice easy walk. Felt bloody freezing ! 

richardabdn
02 October 2021 13:07:23

Revolting Holiday Monday then 3 out of the 4 working days were decent. Now it's the weekend the revolting crap is back 

Grey, windy, cold drizzly and waiting for a prolonged period of rain to arrive for which a weather warning has been issued. Exactly the same horror as this weekend last year 

I thought after the long overdue snow in February and the weekend curse finally relenting after 2 years that 2021 would be a better year but the curse is back with a vengeance and worse than ever. 

Weekends had 63% of weekday sunshine in August and 76% in September. The first year since 2008 that both months had an average of under 4 hours sun for the weekend days. This came with the added misery of the wettest weekends I have ever recorded for September.

Now the rain forecast for later should ensure that more than half of the seasonal rain will have fallen on Saturday alone. What the hell is it with Saturday and wet weather? Just no rational explanation 

Something else that gets my goat. I noticed Aberdaron was the sunniest place in the UK yesterday for the 3rd time in 2 weeks. Yet when I was there the place seemed to be stuck permanently under Irish Sea clag. One day (Thurs 9th) enjoyed sunshine further along the peninsula at Abersoch with convective cloud out at sea yet immediately to the west was shrouded under cloud the whole day. Was in Aberdaron itself 2 days later at Plas yn Rhiuw which should have had great views along the coast had it not been shrouded in cloud and drizzle. It just never seemed to be fine there 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Bolty
05 October 2021 14:23:58
It's blowing a hooley today. It seems a lot windier around here, so it will be interesting when one of those named storms comes through.
Scott
My weather station 
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
05 October 2021 16:21:52

It's blowing a hooley today. It seems a lot windier around here, so it will be interesting when one of those named storms comes through.

Last night was like a car wash here in Dorset. What was unusual was that both the south facing front windows had a good wash followed by the north facing ones as the front went through. They were getting quite dusty and they're hard to reach. It was also the kind of storm they (MET Office) sometimes name but they seem to have overlooked it. 

A lovely sunny afternoon now but chilly.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Martybhoy
06 October 2021 09:55:48
It’s been chilly here in rural Nationalist East Ayrshire. Starting to get some good colour now and although it doesn’t look like it here there are a lot of leaves down now in the woods and as I walk in the nearby woods the leaves rain down. 🍁

Been using the heating on and off since mid September. The only thing annoying me is that the grass hasn’t been dry for a month so I can’t cut it.

200m above sea level
Rural East Ayrshire
Near to the village of Sorn
richardabdn
09 October 2021 08:37:52

The worst run of weekends I have ever endured in my life continues as I wake up to yet another grim, soul destroyin,g depressingly grey weekend. Even worse than last Saturday which at least managed some brightness during the morning before the rain set in 

Supposed to be sunnier tomorrow but I won't hold my breath as it was meant to be the same last Sunday but the dross never cleared until mid-afternoon 

I find it hard to say which October out of 2011 and 2014 I despised the most but if this month continues in the same vein then it'll become easy to decide on the October I've hated the most. This month is unspeakably vile with no reedeming qualities whatsoever.

The synoptics of the past few days are just putrid beyond redemption and producing conditions like nothing on earth we would have got before this rotten century. Stupefying humid, gloomy, claggy grot 

I will have posted these figures before but October rainfall at Dyce increased from 78mm between 1946 and 1999 to 106mm since 2000. A staggering damnation on what an abject horror show October has become year in year out. Like living in an exposed coastal part of southern/western Ireland 

Normal changeable fresh westerlies gone for good and replaced with this stinking southerly/easterly muck 

What's amazing after enduring two decades of this filth that there is still scope for it to become ever more revolting. Minimum of 13.0C last night following a record breaking 14.6C horror the previous night and diurnal ranges of less than 2C. 

Warm, sunny weather which used to happen almost every year in October has become non-existent as the only warm airmasses now come with repulsive grey and gloomy southerly and south easterly winds. No W/SW and fohn effects any more. The only exception was in 2018 and that only happened because I was in Tenerife. Last time I remember any warm sunshine in this rank month was in 2015.

At the same time I have recorded an air frost only once in the past eight years when it used to be the norm for October. It's beyond grim. Yet to even drop below 4C this autumn, and following the horror 11C mean min in September, this is resulting in a write-off colourless autumn.

No problem getting a record breaking frost haul in April, because in Spring it's the cold nights that do the damage, and meant we still had bare trees going into June. Now, as we endure one ridiculously mild night after another, we will likely still have green going into November. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if we don't even get a frost this side of Christmas and the winter total ends up lower than what April alone managed 

Yet again it feels like some evil creature has taken control of the weather and is constantly smacking you in the face with the crap you despise the most.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Martybhoy
13 October 2021 08:50:41

Starting to see a lot more autumn colour now, which is nice. Still been a bit on the warm side but tomorrow looks more promising with a projected high of 9 and low of zero. 

200m above sea level
Rural East Ayrshire
Bolty
13 October 2021 14:27:57
It's such a shame that this has been a gloomy and drizzly high rather than a clear one. This could have been a lovely autumn week, with cool, misty and foggy mornings, and mild and sunny afternoons.
Scott
My weather station 
Saint Snow
13 October 2021 14:31:42

It's such a shame that this has been a gloomy and drizzly high rather than a clear one. This could have been a lovely autumn week, with cool, misty and foggy mornings, and mild and sunny afternoons.

Absolutely.

Would have loved the high to be about 500 miles further north. We seem to have borne the brunt of the shitty, wet crap in the NW

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Martybhoy
15 October 2021 07:30:48
Frost!

200m above sea level
Rural East Ayrshire