johncs2016
01 September 2021 05:56:05

Time to start to new thread for a new season and as per usual, I will be expecting to see many contributions here from Richard from Aberdeen amongst others so if you have any rants or gloats about what's happening during this autumn, this is the very place for that.

I am going to start off here with my first moan because the last three days of August were very dull with the rather pathetic grand  total of 1.6 hours of sunshine over that entire period at Edinburgh Gogarbank, with two back to back completely sunless days to finish things off.

This ensured that the month of August and the summer both ended up slightly duller than average overall at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

Now that we have entered into a brand new season and now that we are no longer in the meteorological summer, it is now a completely different story here as this morning (and indeed, this month and this autumn) is now starting off on a bright and sunny note which is something which we has very rarely happened these days.

You just really couldn't have made that up, and it is just like the thing that this has ended up happening.

I therefore have to ask the question of where on Earth was all this bright and sunny weather which we are now suddenly getting, a few days ago when we were so badly needing that in order for the month of August and for the summer to go down as being sunnier than average overall at Edinburgh Gogarbank?

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Bolty
04 September 2021 19:15:18
Looking forward to some heat next week. It will be a nice feel before the descent into winter really gathers pace.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
ARTzeman
05 September 2021 06:03:23
Rain needed now. Not all this cloudy sky stuff.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
05 September 2021 06:41:43

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Looking forward to some heat next week. It will be a nice feel before the descent into winter really gathers pace.

Yes, I was thinking the same.  August was such a dull month that going straight into Autumnal weather would make it seem a very long winter.  I love all our seasons provided they behave as per the text book, which is very rare!  

Some warm sunny days now would make all the difference!  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
05 September 2021 09:03:28

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Rain needed now. Not all this cloudy sky stuff.

Yes this long dry spell which seems to have begun several weeks ago around here has crept up on us almost unnoticed perhaps.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Bolty
05 September 2021 21:06:47
Very mild tonight. It always intrigues me how June often records quite cool nights despite the very short days, yet it's fairly often that we get very warm nights in September and even October with much longer nights. Most of this week looks like it will hold up at around 17-19°C overnight here.
Scott
My weather station 
idj20
05 September 2021 22:55:22
A hideously swampy 19.3 C & 80% h at 12 am here at Folkestone.

In September.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Gandalf The White
06 September 2021 06:23:53

Originally Posted by: NMA 

Yes this long dry spell which seems to have begun several weeks ago around here has crept up on us almost unnoticed perhaps.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing last week when I noticed that the water level in our natural pond has suddenly started to drop sharply: a sure sign of the water table dropping.

Given the predicted heat this week it’s going to get worse before it gets better.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Jiries
06 September 2021 10:28:15

Originally Posted by: Gandalf The White 

Yes, I was thinking the same thing last week when I noticed that the water level in our natural pond has suddenly started to drop sharply: a sure sign of the water table dropping.

Given the predicted heat this week it’s going to get worse before it gets better.

To me is better when it more drier? Didn't you get enough rain this summer as CB area is part of SE which suffered the worse wet summer?  Anything now dried up or lower water levels are much welcome as we need a break from it and it will recover anyway as UK never become a desert.

Gandalf The White
06 September 2021 10:37:13

Originally Posted by: Jiries 

To me is better when it more drier? Didn't you get enough rain this summer as CB area is part of SE which suffered the worse wet summer?  Anything now dried up or lower water levels are much welcome as we need a break from it and it will recover anyway as UK never become a desert.

Yes, we had plenty of rain earlier in the summer but my point was that it’s been pretty dry in recent weeks and the water table has dropped. Our pond is fed from the ground water and it doesn’t need to drop far before the flow drops to a trickle and then stops.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Jiries
06 September 2021 10:40:21

Originally Posted by: Gandalf The White 

Yes, we had plenty of rain earlier in the summer but my point was that it’s been pretty dry in recent weeks and the water table has dropped. Our pond is fed from the ground water and it doesn’t need to drop far before the flow drops to a trickle and then stops.

My local pond went down a bit in April when water was trickling to the pond while some side streams was dried up but come in May it been very full and flowing.  If was a dry summer then the pond would dried up or very low levels as I only moved here 2 years ago and no idea about the pond history if dried up before like in 2018 summer.

springsunshine
07 September 2021 07:58:20

Originally Posted by: Jiries 

It very nearly did in 1976.

Martybhoy
07 September 2021 18:08:46
It’s too hot and sunny for September. I’m tired of sunshine and heat at this point and there’s something about this particular warm spell which is oppressive and unwholesome.

200m above sea level
Rural East Ayrshire
Near to the village of Sorn
Gavin D
08 September 2021 11:12:39

sunny coast
08 September 2021 11:39:37

Originally Posted by: springsunshine 

It very nearly did in 1976.

it did but then broke the Bank hol weekend and Sept was one of the wettest ever  the drought was literally washed away in a few days.  But that was after a near 2 year spell if below average rainfall 

Bolty
08 September 2021 15:14:19
My time-lapse for yesterday. A notably hot September day:

Scott
My weather station 
Bolty
16 September 2021 14:57:38
Apart from the hot spell at the beginning, this month is reminding me a lot of September 2014 - high pressure, extremely dry, pleasantly warm (18-20°C by day), a variable cloud cover and the only "rainfall" really coming in the form of early morning drizzle.
Scott
My weather station 
Saint Snow
16 September 2021 15:04:02

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Apart from the hot spell at the beginning, this month is reminding me a lot of September 2014 - high pressure, extremely dry, pleasantly warm (18-20°C by day), a variable cloud cover and the only "rainfall" really coming in the form of early morning drizzle.

And a sh*t winter followed.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Saint Snow
16 September 2021 15:05:35

As a total aside, have any studies been done on what conditions contributed to the amazing late Nov/Dec cold spell in 2010? As in, how it evolved and what building blocks were in place that led to it?

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Bolty
16 September 2021 15:11:26

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

And a sh*t winter followed.

Winter 2014-15 wasn't bad around here. A couple of cold spells and all three winter months had snow. It was certainly a million times better than the one before it for wintry weather.

I recognise your area may have missed out though.

Scott
My weather station