Surrey John
10 October 2021 17:48:24
I see the ensemble plots on front page are now showing a cold snap in about 10 days time.
One to watch

Even the snow rows are not zero (although not enough to get excited about)

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
35m ASL
CField
10 October 2021 18:27:59

Originally Posted by: Col 

Have I read this correctly, you actually want power cuts?!?

No I don't but a severe prolonged cold snap will put tremendous  pressure on the grid....be ironic if the UK suffers this outcome ontop of everything else........

Favourite snowstorm
Famous channel low
Dec 31st 1978
Hastings East Sussex
Foot of level snow severe drifting
Next day max temp -4 degrees Celsius
Justin W
11 October 2021 06:26:57

Originally Posted by: Col 

Have I read this correctly, you actually want power cuts?!?

We love power cuts here. It would be an amazing result if the lights went out during the most severe winter for 40 years.

Yo yo yo. 148-3 to the 3 to the 6 to the 9, representing the ABQ, what up, biatch?
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
11 October 2021 07:48:00

wx summary temps for UK as yesterday but the colder weather has increased week 2 in Scandi. Ditto the rainfall pattern

UK (esp the SW) still benefiting from atlantic mildness while most of Europe below seasonal temp; and some proper wintry stuff around Lapland in week 2 though perhaps not out of the way there. Dry for Uk week 1, damp in week 2

GFS- HP over Uk (albeit with some colder N-lies down the N Sea at first) until Mon 18th when declining as LP on Atlantic generates SW-lies and moves past shetland 980 mb as it deepens over scandi Wed 20th . then new ridge of HP NW-SE but not string enough to keep out N=lies from that LP which affect esp E coasts to Weds 27th

GEFS - temps of mean within 2 or 3 C of norm , up around Tue 19th, down around Sat 23rd, (op & control several degrees below) rain continual from about Tue 19th. Scotland has a burst of cold and wet on Fri 15th.

ECM - like GFS at first, but pressure remains low over Atlantic Wed 20th so more of a W-ly than a N-ly at that time

Snow row figures in occasional 1's and 2's in the E and N in week 2, but Inverness showing 5-9 on several days

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Taylor1740
11 October 2021 15:05:34
The GEFS are definitely on the cool side of average now for the final third of the month but of course still a long way out, plenty of time for that to change.
NW Leeds - 150m amsl
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
12 October 2021 06:58:00

Wx temp patterns remain consistent from day to day with the UK on the mild Atlantic fringe of a below-average pool of cold weather in Europe. Northern Scandi & Russia in week 2 developing some seasonably cold weather. Rainfall pattern more variable - currently damp for UK both weeks with increasing amounts of rain blowing in from the NW and across to N Europe in week 2

Jet - current loop to N of UK breaking up and being replaced by strong jet from W or SW from Mon 18th; brief break Mon 25th as it forms a loop to the S but soon resuming

GFS - current HP weakening and moving SE allowing Atlantic troughs to approach from Mon 18th - zonal flow with deeper disturbances from time to time e.g.  975mb Wed 20th  985mb Sat 23rd, 975mb Thu 28th all centred  Hebrides, while pressure still fairly high over the SE

GEFS - temps up (esp 19th) and down (esp 15th)but reverting to norm later. Rain generally from about Mon 18th, a bit earlier in the N, a bit later in the S

ECM - Similar pattern to GFS but LP Wed 20th positioned over Ireland and trailing a trough much further S (Which didn't show on yesterday's ECM 12z) which slowly progresses across England

Chichester 12m asl
Taylor1740
12 October 2021 09:56:53
Charts starting to look a bit boring and zonal now in the longer range. Still far too early anyway for any wintry weather.
NW Leeds - 150m amsl
Russwirral
12 October 2021 15:40:51

Originally Posted by: Taylor1740 

Charts starting to look a bit boring and zonal now in the longer range. Still far too early anyway for any wintry weather.

Yeh I thought that too when i checked this morning, but then the odd run after it seems HP and blocking comes back in to the picture.

Not sure if this is just a default setting after the summer, but its usually about now that all hope is dashed and replaced with the atlantic firing up...

Chunky Pea
12 October 2021 17:08:54

Originally Posted by: Justin W 

We love power cuts here. It would be an amazing result if the lights went out during the most severe winter for 40 years.

Love power cuts during winter storms too, not that we have had any winter storms in about 20 + years. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Heavy Weather 2013
12 October 2021 17:58:02
I have to say that I don’t like how the PV is getting organised. But I suppose better to get the guff out the way.
Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
White Meadows
12 October 2021 21:00:22

Originally Posted by: Chunky Pea 

Love power cuts during winter storms too, not that we have had any winter storms in about 20 + years. 

Pull the other one! Trees down on our road Jan 2013

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
13 October 2021 06:30:11

And more recently storm Ciara demolished several hundred yards of sea wall just down the road from us at Littlehampton in 2020

Chichester 12m asl
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
13 October 2021 07:00:57

wx summaries show most of Europe returning to seasonal temps or even a little above while the cold pool moves down to the Balkans. Some cold stuff in the far N, too. Lots of rain on the Atlantic, affecting NW fringes of Europe incl UK week 1 and then more generally extending a tongue across Europe week 2.

Jet - Not much action around the UK at first but a meandering stream across the British Isles from Tue 19th for most of that week dispersing somewhat around Sun 24th then a quick blast before dispersing again Fri 29th

GFS - current HP drifting SE and centred Switzerland Mon 18th while large area of LP sets up a zonal flow as it moves across to Scandi by Fri 22nd (v. windy everywhere at closest approach on the Thu). The following week has HP to the S and LP to the N competing for dominance with W-ly or SW-ly winds sandwiched between

GEFS - a bump of warmth around Tue 19th (preceded by a brief dip in the N) but otherwise mostly close to norm. Rain starts about that date and continues, persistent but not too heavy in the S,  rather more in the NW

ECM - resembles GFS but less windy on Thu 21st, gales replaced by a trailing trough extending as far S as the Channel

Chichester 12m asl
idj20
13 October 2021 08:08:01

You either live in a storm-free shield or have a short memory, or you don't think the Winter of 2013-2014 was stormy enough. That was the most active winter in terms of storminess with widespread flooding and the sea wall at Dawlish being smashed apart, it was relentless with cyclogenesis occurring over the UK one after the other for weeks on end. Never want to see anything like that again in this lifetime.

Folkestone Harbour. 
doctormog
13 October 2021 08:26:51

Originally Posted by: idj20 

You either live in a storm-free shield or have a short memory, or you don't think the Winter of 2013-2014 was stormy enough. That was the most active winter in terms of storminess with widespread flooding and the sea wall at Dawlish being smashed apart, it was relentless with cyclogenesis occurring over the UK one after the other for weeks on end. Never want to see anything like that again in this lifetime.

Winter 2015-16 was also another horribly stormy and damaging season.

ozone_aurora
13 October 2021 08:51:03

If I was to make a wild guess, I suspect this winter will most likely to be a wet & stormy one, just as would like a cold, snowy one.

Hate wet & stormy winters.

Hungry Tiger
13 October 2021 10:03:43

Without meaning to go OT - I've heard fwiw that winter this year will be a cold December followed by a mild and wet January and February.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Chunky Pea
13 October 2021 13:42:27

Originally Posted by: White Meadows 

Pull the other one! Trees down on our road Jan 2013

I'm talking about storms, not bog standard winter gales. Slapping a name on them does not make them more than what they are. 

2013-2014 was a relatively boisterous season (when it eventually did get going) but I've seen better. Certainly here in the W/NW region of Ireland at least.  I do think southern regions of the UK bore the brunt that year, which is an oddity in itself. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Saint Snow
13 October 2021 13:47:08

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 

Without meaning to go OT - I've heard fwiw that winter this year will be a cold December followed by a mild and wet January and February.

You been reading the Express again? 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Hungry Tiger
13 October 2021 13:52:20

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

You been reading the Express again? 

God forbid no. It was a facebook weather forecast site. In fact usually quite a good one.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.