Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

13 Pages«<23456>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rob K  
#61 Posted : 12 July 2021 15:34:25(UTC)
Rob K

Plenty of thunder around today, with some storms breaking out in the London area in the past hour. Still dry here.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

Offline The Beast from the East  
#62 Posted : 12 July 2021 15:49:20(UTC)
The Beast from the East

Man

Originally Posted by: Rob K Go to Quoted Post
Plenty of thunder around today, with some storms breaking out in the London area in the past hour. Still dry here.

Yes, I coped it full on. one of the best T storms I have seen for years. Localised flooding in town

"We have some alternative facts for you"

Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President

Offline lanky  
#63 Posted : 12 July 2021 16:11:36(UTC)
lanky

Man

Been hammering it down with thunder and lightening for getting for an hour here now

would expect some local problems with big puddles

Martin

Richmond, Surrey

Offline The Beast from the East  
#64 Posted : 12 July 2021 16:22:59(UTC)
The Beast from the East

Man

Major event in west london. I think we were lucky here!

SHOW TWEETS

"We have some alternative facts for you"

Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President

Offline splinter  
#65 Posted : 12 July 2021 16:32:05(UTC)
splinter

Originally Posted by: The Beast from the East Go to Quoted Post

Yes, I coped it full on. one of the best T storms I have seen for years. Localised flooding in town

Dry just down the road here in Croydon, although regular rumbles of thunder.

Croydon, South London
Offline Rob K  
#66 Posted : 12 July 2021 16:37:59(UTC)
Rob K

Haven't even heard any thunder yet although looks like some showers are breaking out only a few miles to the east.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

Online NMA  
#67 Posted : 12 July 2021 17:22:27(UTC)
NMA

Man

Beautiful cloudscapes today in the brief times I was outside but the thunder and lightning remains an elusive phenomena for me.

Online DEW  
#68 Posted : 12 July 2021 20:05:08(UTC)
DEW

Man

Originally Posted by: NMA Go to Quoted Post

Beautiful cloudscapes today in the brief times I was outside but the thunder and lightning remains an elusive phenomena for me.

Newsreel footage of serious flooding in Bournemouth and Poole from last night's rain, cars submerged etc.

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/19437380.flooding-causes-disruption-dorset/ 

This afternoon 3 pm, a very local storm in Chichester. I set out in the dry, passed through an area where it was tipping down and out of the other side dry again, Only a mile in it and the same on the way back nearly an hour later.

Then things livened up with several claps of thunder. The remarkable thing was that our robocat (purrs when you stroke it, miaows when the lights are turned on and off or  when the TV is switched on) was giving a miaow each time there was a flash of lightning even though that flash was not visible to the eye, just heard the thunder.

Edited by user 12 July 2021 20:08:24(UTC)  | Reason: link added

"Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim" - another weather pangram
Sevendust  
#69 Posted : 12 July 2021 20:20:08(UTC)

Thunder here between 1800/1900z today. Storms were towards Bordon but little rain here

Online NMA  
#70 Posted : 13 July 2021 06:14:55(UTC)
NMA

Man

Originally Posted by: DEW Go to Quoted Post

Newsreel footage of serious flooding in Bournemouth and Poole from last night's rain, cars submerged etc.

https://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/19437380.flooding-causes-disruption-dorset/ 

This afternoon 3 pm, a very local storm in Chichester. I set out in the dry, passed through an area where it was tipping down and out of the other side dry again, Only a mile in it and the same on the way back nearly an hour later.

Then things livened up with several claps of thunder. The remarkable thing was that our robocat (purrs when you stroke it, miaows when the lights are turned on and off or  when the TV is switched on) was giving a miaow each time there was a flash of lightning even though that flash was not visible to the eye, just heard the thunder.

It must have been quite an experience in the conurbation yesterday. I mentioned some spectacular cloudscapes but when I went to lock up last night I noticed that the plastic rain gauge was overflowing with at least 60mm of rain. Some must have fallen early morning but we had some Mooominian downpours in the evening that even my daughter commented on.

The other thing DEW your robocat. Two late aunts used to have something that was marketed to them as a 'Sleepy Pussy' which when placed on ones lap purred and vibrated if stroked... I'm going to hazard a guess that your 'robocat' is merely an advanced version of what they had in the early 2000's?

Online DEW  
#71 Posted : 13 July 2021 06:47:37(UTC)
DEW

Man

Originally Posted by: NMA Go to Quoted Post

The other thing DEW your robocat. Two late aunts used to have something that was marketed to them as a 'Sleepy Pussy' which when placed on ones lap purred and vibrated if stroked... I'm going to hazard a guess that your 'robocat' is merely an advanced version of what they had in the early 2000's?

I think their version is still on sale, but the upgrade lifts its paw and turns its head along with the miaows and purrs.

"Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim" - another weather pangram
Offline sunny coast  
#72 Posted : 13 July 2021 07:23:42(UTC)
sunny coast

Man
United Kingdom

Rumbling around here yesterday between 2 and 4 with one massive overhead crack
Offline GezM  
#73 Posted : 13 July 2021 08:25:34(UTC)
GezM

Man
United Kingdom

I was amazed that we missed all of the action yesterday. Hardly a drop all day. Just a few miles to our south and east they experienced a couple of hours of heavy rain. My wife's return from London after work, typically an hour door to door took 2.5 hours due to flooding on the tubes and signal failures on the trains.
Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)

Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)

Offline lanky  
#74 Posted : 13 July 2021 08:41:28(UTC)
lanky

Man

Originally Posted by: GezM Go to Quoted Post
I was amazed that we missed all of the action yesterday. Hardly a drop all day. Just a few miles to our south and east they experienced a couple of hours of heavy rain. My wife's return from London after work, typically an hour door to door took 2.5 hours due to flooding on the tubes and signal failures on the trains.

Looking at the radar echoes it was quite a narrow band of intense rain running approx NE/SW crossing NW and SW London and the W suburbs out to Slough or thereabouts

Heavy rain and frequent thunder and lightning here from about 16:00-17:30 yesterday with Kew Gardens recording 48.4mm which was enough to close Richmond Station due to flooding

Martin

Richmond, Surrey

Offline ozone_aurora  
#75 Posted : 13 July 2021 19:44:43(UTC)
ozone_aurora

Offline Bolty  
#76 Posted : 19 July 2021 13:47:42(UTC)
Bolty

Man

Quite a bit of vertical development in the clouds here. I wonder if there could be a few surprise showers or even isolated thunderstorms this evening?
Scott

Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.

My weather station

Online warrenb  
#77 Posted : 19 July 2021 14:20:25(UTC)
warrenb

Man

Skies very dark down here now. Seems a small Storm has developed to my SE.

Offline picturesareme  
#78 Posted : 19 July 2021 14:39:20(UTC)
picturesareme

Got to laugh when the isolated shower risk was meant to be to the west of the region on metoffice forecast, and yet a significant line of storms has broken out to the east of region.
Online warrenb  
#79 Posted : 19 July 2021 14:51:43(UTC)
warrenb

Man

Almost constant distant thunder here now. Raining as well.
Offline Hippydave  
#80 Posted : 19 July 2021 15:12:24(UTC)
Hippydave

Few spots of rain and fairly regular rumbles of thunder here for last half hour or so but looks like I'm just out of the little activity line at the moment.

Home: Tunbridge Wells

Work: West Malling