noodle doodle
04 July 2021 18:15:34

Flooding acrossd Edinburgh, including the newly opened £1.3 billion St james Shopping Centre

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/edinburgh-weather-live-thunderstorm-updates-20968315

41mm in 1 hour at the botanic gardens

https://www2.sepa.org.uk/rainfall/

richardabdn
04 July 2021 19:45:53

Yet again Edinburgh gets the interesting weather whereas we get the rotten end of the stick that's been dipped in every piece of dog muck within the vicinity 

Nothing remotely convective or thundery just soul destroying, mind-numbing featureless murk off the North Sea the entire weekend 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
04 July 2021 19:46:25

Another good storm here around 7pm. 

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Andy J
04 July 2021 19:49:46

Just had a direct hit here from an impressive thunderstorm.  Began with a dramatic approach of fast moving low-level dark cloud, a turquoise-green colour to the distant clouds, and then followed a deluge accompanied by frequent overhead lightning, multiple flashes of lightning and loud thunder.  So much rain in a short space of time that my back yard was completely flooded in a matter of minutes.  The first proper thunderstorm here for 2 years!   

Rain & thunder now easing, but that really was quite a strong storm.

Just checked the gauge, and 15mm of rain fell in that storm, most of that probably fell in 10 mins or so.

Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
Saint Snow
04 July 2021 19:56:04

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

Passed to my west

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7cxGJBO_3g

Over MBY

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
johncs2016
04 July 2021 20:17:29

I did say that we had some really torrential rain earlier on and as it turns out, the incredible total of 41.0 mm of rain fell from that (according to the data from SEPA) at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh in the space of just one hour which is a lot more rain than what we had during the entire months of April and June put together.

That on its own, is enough to make today our wettest day of this year so far by quite a considerable amount.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
KevBrads1
04 July 2021 20:53:11

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Bolty
04 July 2021 22:34:13
My time-lapse for today: an interesting day with torrential downpours and thundery showers:

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
johncs2016
05 July 2021 00:41:41

Torrential rain is falling here in Edinburgh once again, though without any thunder or lightning this time.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Crepuscular Ray
05 July 2021 07:24:37
Reading the Edinburgh reports with interest. Lots of coverage of the Edinburgh event on BBC breakfast. I missed it!! I'm in NW Scotland for a week and we've had a dry bright and humid few days 20-22 C
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Roger Parsons
05 July 2021 07:32:22
A mere 3mm rainfall here since yesterday - but will some impressive thunderstorms in the afternoon. Pathetic compared to Scotland.
Roger
RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
KevBrads1
06 July 2021 04:13:20
Bit of convective weather yesterday morning

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Charmhills
07 July 2021 14:31:23

Some heavy showers here this afternoon.

Got soaked on my run.

Loughborough, EM.

Knowledge is power, ignorance is weakness.

Duane.
Andy J
07 July 2021 14:53:49

Some rumbles of thunder here recently with a shower - looks very ominous to the south at the moment.  

ozone_aurora
07 July 2021 15:46:38

Few rumbles of thunder here in Sheffield & torrential rain.

Andy J
07 July 2021 17:14:43

Decent thunderstorm going through here now, plenty of heavy rain and quite a bit of lightning & thunder.   

Roger Parsons
07 July 2021 17:19:21

Originally Posted by: Andy J 

Decent thunderstorm going through here now, plenty of heavy rain and quite a bit of lightning & thunder.   

I can see it on the Radar, Andy - but it is not yet building in the Witham valley as far as I can seen. I live in hope!

Hope you are keeping well up there.  I went into Lincoln yesterday and it was pretty busy - the roads were dire around 5pm rush hour.

Take it steady!

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Andy J
07 July 2021 22:40:45

Thanks Roger, that thunderstorm kept going for quite a while, and only slowly eased away around 7pm after starting about 6pm.  Found 14mm rain in the gauge, although some of that was from earlier showers.  

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
08 July 2021 05:52:14

Originally Posted by: Andy J 

Thanks Roger, that thunderstorm kept going for quite a while, and only slowly eased away around 7pm after starting about 6pm.  Found 14mm rain in the gauge, although some of that was from earlier showers.  

We had heavy showers with thunder from late afternoon into the evening.  

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Retron
09 July 2021 15:28:33

A first for me (and the guys in the office) earlier - from our panoramic windows, overlooking the playground, we'd seen that the clouds were looking threatening.

A call went out: "Oh, that cloud looks like a tentacle!"

Turns out - it was a funnel cloud. It only lasted 10 seconds or so, but was swiftly followed by another, a thin, ropey-looking affair. That too swirled out of existance soon after.

There were no more to come, but the clouds remained menacing until we left for home.

The cell responsible shows up well on the radar, it was to the WNW of Sittingbourne.

Leysdown, north Kent