fairweather
21 July 2021 09:03:24

Interesting that there is little interest on here in the record breaking hail and rain storms in the South East yesterday with some of the most dramatic flash flooding ever seen in some places.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
severnside
21 July 2021 10:24:03

Originally Posted by: Retron 

I already had it, my west-facing bedroom. That stopped when I bought a portable a/c, before I had that it regularly got into the mid-30s on the sort of still, sunny and hot days we've had of late. The final straw was hitting 38C one afternoon in 2006, when I went to bed and felt heat pulsing into me from the mattress. Utterly un-sleepable!

It was generally fine when I was a child in the 80s, but of course 30C was major headline news then, rather than something people seem to expect for a week or more each summer! It's a similar story at the (flat-roofed) block I'm in at work, they built those classrooms in the 60s and nowadays it effortlessly gets into the low to mid 30s in there on a summer afternoon. It's hated by the teachers and pupils alike!

Nothing you can do about it short of ripping it all down, or putting in a/c.

The UK has the poorest built houses in the whole of Northern Europe, the houses we have are useless in winter and summer.Only capable of being any use in temperatures between 13c  - 20c. This is not a house moaning thread, but the architecture of anything from 60's onwards is just bland and ugly.

richardabdn
22 July 2021 16:10:40

It just gets worse and worse. Another godawful day of mind-numbing, demoralising grey hell with the added misery of murk and drizzle. This has been a terrible week of weather. The rest of the country gets a heatwave, we get the same dross as Shetland with temperatures 3C below average.

The fine weather I got on holiday really gave me a boost but this ridiculous garbage has taken me back into the doldrums. Feeling tired and fed-up now. I absolutely DESPISE this non-weather more than anything.

Summer just collapsed on the 24th June and since then the majority of days have been grim, depressing and overcast. A complete waste of summer yet again. The last time I experienced two acceptable days in a row here was 30th June/1st July.

15 of the past 28 days have recorded less than 3 hours sunshine, including 7 consecutively from the 3rd to 9th, which is unbearable, intolerable and depressing beyond words and akin to summers 2007/2011/2012.

Even July 2012 only had five completely sunless days. Today has seen this appalling July equal that so we could be in the ridiculous situation of outdoing 2012 on that particular indicator of awfulness.

An absolute joke what summer has been reduced to here. Most poor summers of the 20th Century wouldn't have had a four week spell as horrible and rotten as this. Wrist slitting stuff.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
22 July 2021 16:54:58

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

It just gets worse and worse. Another godawful day of mind-numbing, demoralising grey hell with the added misery of murk and drizzle. This has been a terrible week of weather. The rest of the country gets a heatwave, we get the same dross as Shetland with temperatures 3C below average.

The fine weather I got on holiday really gave me a boost but this ridiculous garbage has taken me back into the doldrums. Feeling tired and fed-up now. I absolutely DESPISE this non-weather more than anything.

Summer just collapsed on the 24th June and since then the majority of days have been grim, depressing and overcast. A complete waste of summer yet again. The last time I experienced two acceptable days in a row here was 30th June/1st July.

15 of the past 28 days have recorded less than 3 hours sunshine, including 7 consecutively from the 3rd to 9th, which is unbearable, intolerable and depressing beyond words and akin to summers 2007/2011/2012.

Even July 2012 only had five completely sunless days. Today has seen this appalling July equal that so we could be in the ridiculous situation of outdoing 2012 on that particular indicator of awfulness.

An absolute joke what summer has been reduced to here. Most poor summers of the 20th Century wouldn't have had a four week spell as horrible and rotten as this. Wrist slitting stuff.

Didn't Aberdeen get into the high 20s a few days a go? But of course you always seem to be elsewhere when it happens. Give it a rest Richard, it's long since stopped even being funny. You're just boring now.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Bolty
22 July 2021 17:02:34
Hit 31.5°C where I am today. 30°C+ seems to be a yearly occurrence for Greater Manchester now. A couple of decades ago, it would have been something like a 1-in-5 year event, but now it's happened every year since 2013 inclusive. Last summer actually recorded it in all three summer months - surprising considering it was a realtively poor summer overall.

Not that I'm complaining though. It's nice to have proper summer temperatures, though I wish homes and workplaces in this country were more equipped for heat. I suspect home air conditioning systems will become much more common over the next ten years in the UK.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
johncs2016
22 July 2021 17:23:10

Originally Posted by: Col 

Didn't Aberdeen get into the high 20s a few days a go? But of course you always seem to be elsewhere when it happens. Give it a rest Richard, it's long since stopped even being funny. You're just boring now.

I fully agree with you on that one.

Doctormog was talking about the temperature being 28°C up there not all long ago, and even Richard himself was referring to Aberdeen seeing temperatures of 27°C or above on back to back days at around the same time.

Those are temperatures which Edinburgh has not experienced so far during this year, although I was lucky enough to have been able to travel to somewhere else (the Scottish Borders) were I was able to experience those sorts of temperatures during last week.

Furthermore, that is something which Richard appears to have forgotten about all of a sudden. 

In his latest post to which you were replying to here, he seems to give the impression that he was much happier with where he was when he was on holiday so if that is the case, he could think about moving there permanently as that would appear to solve his problems, going by what he has said in that post.

However, I would imagine that over time, he would still come across something wrong with the weather in that part of the world even if he did that and regardless of what the weather was actually like there as that is just how Richard is.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
KevBrads1
23 July 2021 04:46:01

Manchester Summer Indices  ranked in order with the best at the top 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

2021 247 (up to 21st July)

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
23 July 2021 07:20:34

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

I fully agree with you on that one.

Doctormog was talking about the temperature being 28°C up there not all long ago, and even Richard himself was referring to Aberdeen seeing temperatures of 27°C or above on back to back days at around the same time.

Those are temperatures which Edinburgh has not experienced so far during this year, although I was lucky enough to have been able to travel to somewhere else (the Scottish Borders) were I was able to experience those sorts of temperatures during last week.

Furthermore, that is something which Richard appears to have forgotten about all of a sudden. 

In his latest post to which you were replying to here, he seems to give the impression that he was much happier with where he was when he was on holiday so if that is the case, he could think about moving there permanently as that would appear to solve his problems, going by what he has said in that post.

However, I would imagine that over time, he would still come across something wrong with the weather in that part of the world even if he did that and regardless of what the weather was actually like there as that is just how Richard is.

I know I should just ignore him, in fact I usually do but honestly it's just the same thing over and over again. He used to come out with some funny stuff, though I don't know if it was intentional. But now it's just permacast hell/wrist slitting/suicide inducing in every post he makes. I sometimes wonder if he's just making stuff up because Dr Mog's accounts of Aberdeen weather often seem very different.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
doctormog
23 July 2021 08:01:39
The weather here has been disappointing over the last couple of days to be fair. More generally I prefer to enjoy the positives.
Bolty
23 July 2021 14:31:49

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

2021 247 (up to 21st July)

As I say, it has been a very decent summer for the Manchester area, and I suspect a lot of North West England will agree. Hopefully we'll see a good August this year and no doubt it will end up there with some of the best summers for this region.

Scott
My weather station 
richardabdn
24 July 2021 08:53:52

Yet another absolutely dire write-off weekend day. This has now got to be the worst run of summer weekends since 2012. Just one decent weekend day since mid-June which was last Saturday  

I have never known such a horrendous spell of North Sea filth like this in July. Ludicrous mild nights and low diurnal range on a par with winter.

Five consecutive days waking up to this featureless depressing crap. Took all day for the to shift yesterday then I wake up today to find it's back in place but worse than ever. Because it's the weekend it's so extensive I can't even go inland to escape it which I could have done yesterday. 

Weekend after weekend of foul grey soul destroying overcast. The quality of life here is the pits. Stuck in the house all week working then stuck in the house all weekend because of crap weather. What the hell sort of life is that? It's an existence on a par with the Victorian workhouse 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
doctormog
24 July 2021 12:24:51
It’s great to see (and feel) the sunshine after the grey murk has cleared soon than expected.
johncs2016
24 July 2021 12:57:55

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

It’s great to see (and feel) the sunshine after the grey murk has cleared soon than expected.

... and of course, there was never any chance of Richard mentioning that.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
doctormog
24 July 2021 13:00:15

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

... and of course, there was never any chance of Richard mentioning that.

To be fair it was overcast when Richard posted but it has cleared since then as many of the models suggested. 

KevBrads1
24 July 2021 18:33:37

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2021 249 (up to 22nd July)

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
Tim A
26 July 2021 08:59:55
Looking like the average July max here will come in just under 22c, which would make it similar to 2019 temperature wise and only beaten by 1994,1995,2006, 2013, 2014 and 2018 since 1990. Using Bradford Lister Park Met Office station for the comparisons with my data for this month which usually produces a very similar average monthly max to here.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Bolty
26 July 2021 13:17:06
This is the kind of cool down that I enjoy after a heat wave - just a return to pleasant 20-23°C with continued spells of sunshine and high pressure. It makes a change to a lot of the cool downs in recent years where it has been 30°C+ and bright sunshine one day, followed by 16°C, cloud and rain for the next week.

My only complaint through was that it has still been a poor breakdown for thunderstorms up here, with the usual areas getting all of those again.
Scott
My weather station 
KevBrads1
26 July 2021 13:42:27

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

T

My only complaint through was that it has still been a poor breakdown for thunderstorms up here, with the usual areas getting all of those again.

Funny enough our region is under a thunderstorm warning.

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
26 July 2021 14:17:34

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

This is the kind of cool down that I enjoy after a heat wave - just a return to pleasant 20-23°C with continued spells of sunshine and high pressure. It makes a change to a lot of the cool downs in recent years where it has been 30°C+ and bright sunshine one day, followed by 16°C, cloud and rain for the next week.

Yes, the last of the properly hot days was Thursday but since then there has been no rain, temps in the low 20s and some sun, especially in the afternoons & evenings. As this is the moaning thread I'd complain it's all rather 'non-descript' but that really would be harsh. It's been a very pleasant few days but I don't like at all what's coming later this week!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
johncs2016
26 July 2021 15:44:34

Originally Posted by: Col 

Yes, the last of the properly hot days was Thursday but since then there has been no rain, temps in the low 20s ans some sun, especially in the afternoons & evenings. As this is the moaning thread I'd complain it's all rather 'non-descript' but that really would be harsh. It's been a very pleasant few days but I don't like at all what's coming later this week!

I just wish that it would cool down here in Edinburgh as it has become uncomfortably hot here yet again during today.

Indeed, the temperature at Edinburgh Airport was up at 26°C at 4pm this afternoon which actually makes today the hottest day of this year so far across all three of my local stations here in Edinburgh.

There are some scattered convective clouds around, but these aren't amounting to anything at all as the Sun (albeit very hazy sunshine) continues to relentlessly beat down on this part of the world, making our conditions extremely uncomfortable at the start of a week when it is supposed to be cooling down.

In addition to that, we were supposed to see a risk of showers or thunderstorms during today, but someone at the Met Office has clearly forgotten that "interesting" weather is something which just doesn't generally happen in this part of the world and the end result of this is that as per usual, absolutely nothing has changed in terms of our weather as we just don't get "changeable" weather here any more like what we used to.

Last year, we only had the one thunderstorm event during that entire summer and since we have already had a thunderstorm event at the beginning of this month, it wouldn't surprise me if that was all that we got for this year. That particular event did produce a little bit of flooding, but that was nothing compared to what other places in the rest of the UK and over on the continent has seen.

Since our downpours at the start of this month, there has now been two flooding events in London whereas it has barely rained at all here since then. Even though there are just 5 days left of this month after today, our "flooding" event at the beginning of this month still as I write, hasn't been enough for this month to be any wetter than average at Edinburgh Gogarbank as a result, so that should tell you just how boring and uninteresting our weather here in Edinburgh actually is.