Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login. New Registrations are disabled.

Notification

Icon
Error

27 Pages«<24252627>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rob K  
#501 Posted : 16 July 2022 08:14:35(UTC)
Rob K

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 02/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 25,126
Location: Northeast Hampshire

Idiots in my local FB group out in force. “It was hotter in 1976!”

No it wasn’t.

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

Offline John p  
#502 Posted : 16 July 2022 16:43:29(UTC)
John p

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 04/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 5,312
Man
Location: Surrey Heath

BBC video forecast (updated an hour ago) now going for 41c on Monday.
Offline John p  
#503 Posted : 16 July 2022 16:44:02(UTC)
John p

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 04/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 5,312
Man
Location: Surrey Heath

Originally Posted by: Rob K Go to Quoted Post
Idiots in my local FB group out in force. “It was hotter in 1976!”

No it wasn’t.

These idiots won’t take it seriously until they’re in hospital on a drip. 

Offline TimS  
#504 Posted : 16 July 2022 17:01:47(UTC)
TimS

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 13/04/2010(UTC)
Posts: 11,094
Location: Brockley

Originally Posted by: Rob K Go to Quoted Post
Idiots in my local FB group out in force. “It was hotter in 1976!”

No it wasn’t.

“We survived the blitz. How bad can it be?”

 

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Online xioni2  
#505 Posted : 16 July 2022 17:06:46(UTC)
xioni2

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 08/04/2010(UTC)
Posts: 19,201
Location: London

"It's just some hot weather FFS, have an extra beer"

Stay calm and support Ukraine
Offline SJV  
#506 Posted : 16 July 2022 20:48:27(UTC)
SJV

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 22/11/2015(UTC)
Posts: 19,815
Man
Location: Sheffield, 133m ASL

Expecting, after 48 hours since its publication, an update to the red warning area tomorrow. I've already posted about how ridiculous it is that Sheffield isn't yet in the red. Current Met Office forecasts have us 32, 36, 38C for the Sunday to Tuesday, nearly three degrees above our all time record, and we're amber still.

Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Offline RobR  
#507 Posted : 16 July 2022 21:29:12(UTC)
RobR

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 20/12/2010(UTC)
Posts: 558
Man
United Kingdom
Location: Solihull, West Midlands

Chris Fawkes on the online forecast updated this evening was very useful with tips for people. The sort of public service announcement you need but sadly many won't see.
Winter 21/22 in Nantwich

Days Snow Falling: 3

Days Snow Lying: 1

Deepest Snowfall: 28th November (3cm)

Latest Snowfall: 31st March

Winter 20/21 in Solihull

Days Snow Falling: 21

Days Snow Lying: 8

Deepest Snowfall: 24th January (9cm)

Latest Snowfall: 12th April

Winter 19/20 in Stoke

Days Snow Falling: 5

Days Snow Lying: 2

Deepest Snowfall: 10th Feb (5cm)

Winter 18/19 in Stoke

Days Snow Falling: 6

Days Snow Lying: 6

Deepest Snowfall: 29th Jan (3cm)

Winter 17/18 in Stoke

Days Snow Falling: 27

Days Snow Lying: 24

Deepest Snowfall: 18th March 2018 (10cm)

Offline dagspot  
#508 Posted : 16 July 2022 22:30:05(UTC)
dagspot

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 26/12/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,036
Location: UK

Originally Posted by: RobR Go to Quoted Post
Chris Fawkes on the online forecast updated this evening was very useful with tips for people. The sort of public service announcement you need but sadly many won't see.

But the 40dc Temp symbol gone for Tue ‘only’ 39 

Neilston 600ft ASL
Offline bledur  
#509 Posted : 17 July 2022 18:21:02(UTC)
bledur

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 02/04/2012(UTC)
Posts: 3,786
Man
Location: WEST HANTS

Originally Posted by: Rob K Go to Quoted Post
Idiots in my local FB group out in force. “It was hotter in 1976!”

No it wasn’t.

 Up till now it was so atm they are correct. Also depends where in the country you are. In 76 we were in the hottest area of the heatwave. looking at chart predictions for this area for the next 2 days we are not, possibly not even reaching the highs set in 76 at Southampton.

Offline Rob K  
#510 Posted : 23 July 2022 18:52:32(UTC)
Rob K

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 02/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 25,126
Location: Northeast Hampshire

Originally Posted by: bledur Go to Quoted Post

 

 Up till now it was so atm they are correct. Also depends where in the country you are. In 76 we were in the hottest area of the heatwave. looking at chart predictions for this area for the next 2 days we are not, possibly not even reaching the highs set in 76 at Southampton.

 

Anyone still bleating about 1976 needs to be shown the maps on this page! https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/press-office/news/weather-and-climate/2022/july-heat-review

 

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

Offline Rob K  
#511 Posted : 25 July 2022 18:34:29(UTC)
Rob K

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 02/05/2006(UTC)
Posts: 25,126
Location: Northeast Hampshire

I heard on the radio news this evening that the Met Office are warning of a potential heatwave early next week. First I have heard of it although the long-ranger does say "there is the potential for some locally hot weather in the southeast".
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome

Offline Jiries  
#512 Posted : 29 July 2022 06:41:34(UTC)
Jiries

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 41,921
Man
Location: Galley Common, 130m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62323048

Feel sorry for them as we had not this problem back in August 2003 heatwave which was forecasted by beautiful Helen Willets and that day she put was celebrated and support when we reached 100F scale.

This time the opposite and no cheer for 40C which is a milestone.   July had been extremely horrible month for them.

Offline GezM  
#513 Posted : 29 July 2022 08:45:22(UTC)
GezM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 18/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 1,404
Man
United Kingdom
Location: St Albans

Originally Posted by: Jiries Go to Quoted Post

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62323048

Feel sorry for them as we had not this problem back in August 2003 heatwave which was forecasted by beautiful Helen Willets and that day she put was celebrated and support when we reached 100F scale.

This time the opposite and no cheer for 40C which is a milestone.   July had been extremely horrible month for them.

That is a sad reflection on today’s society. Unfortunately people can get away with spiteful and even threatening behaviour on social media. Platforms like Twitter just allow opinions to be polarised and for conspiracy theories to spread like a heatwave wildfire. There is a reason why most people who believe in a lot of these theories have a low IQ! 

I did notice that as the heatwave was building and even on the ‘big day’ itself, the BBC online reports always had a paragraph at the end implying that this extreme heat was as a result of climate change. I felt this was inappropriate because it was an unnecessary part of the story at the time and could have been seen as being provocative to the AGW brigade.  I’d have much preferred them to stick to the facts and leave the Met Office and other expert scientists to do the analysis and draw conclusions after the event.

Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)

Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)

Offline Brian Gaze  
#514 Posted : 29 July 2022 09:05:40(UTC)
Brian Gaze

Rank: Administration

Joined: 04/04/2006(UTC)
Posts: 62,243

Originally Posted by: GezM Go to Quoted Post

 

That is a sad reflection on today’s society. Unfortunately people can get away with spiteful and even threatening behaviour on social media. Platforms like Twitter just allow opinions to be polarised and for conspiracy theories to spread like a heatwave wildfire. There is a reason why most people who believe in a lot of these theories have a low IQ! 

I did notice that as the heatwave was building and even on the ‘big day’ itself, the BBC online reports always had a paragraph at the end implying that this extreme heat was as a result of climate change. I felt this was inappropriate because it was an unnecessary part of the story at the time and could have been seen as being provocative to the AGW brigade.  I’d have much preferred them to stick to the facts and leave the Met Office and other expert scientists to do the analysis and draw conclusions after the event.

Discussion about it here:

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/default.aspx?g=posts&t=23077&p=4

 

Brian Gaze

Berkhamsted

TWO Buzz - get the latest news and views

"I'm not socialist, I know that. I don't believe in sharing my money." - Gary Numan

Online Roger Parsons  
#515 Posted : 30 July 2022 15:09:33(UTC)
Roger Parsons

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 23/11/2008(UTC)
Posts: 10,260
Man
Location: Lincolnshire

Just read this on Yahoo. Hope this is the right place to park it - if not Mods please move it.
Ted Hennessey, PA
Sat, 30 July 2022 at 3:00 pm

"Met Office forecaster Tom Morgan told the PA news agency: “The main theme over the coming days will be wet weather, in stark contrast to the rest of July.
“Many areas will be very warm and humid with plenty of cloud around, even overnight, with temperatures as high as 20C in the early hours, meaning uncomfortable evenings for sleeping are in store.
“The odd rumble of thunder may be heard in isolated areas, and it’s going to be pretty muggy and humid, typical of conditions seen in tropical countries.
“Temperatures could climb as high as 29C during the day in southern areas, but it’s going to feel uncomfortable and clammy.”

Tropical weather to hit UK with ‘muggy’ mixture of 29C heat and rain
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/tropical-weather-hit-uk-muggy-140058059.html


Roger

Edited by user 30 July 2022 15:11:10(UTC)  | Reason: edit

RogerP

West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire

Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.

William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830

Offline picturesareme  
#516 Posted : 11 August 2022 23:15:37(UTC)
picturesareme

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 16/04/2010(UTC)
Posts: 6,411
Location: costa solent

Offline Jim-55  
#517 Posted : 12 August 2022 10:52:41(UTC)
Jim-55

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 28/05/2017(UTC)
Posts: 246
Man
United Kingdom
Location: Frome

Originally Posted by: Rob K Go to Quoted Post
Idiots in my local FB group out in force. “It was hotter in 1976!”

No it wasn’t.

I have no idea how hot it was in 1976 but I do know it was hot for some time. Most of the summer I spent at the Royal Agricultural Show at Stoneleigh, Coventry erecting the stands and farm buildings for a company for the show, most of what I remember was the heat and thunderstorms. At the latter stages of our stay I sign wrote the stand signs and the one next to us thus spending a few days in Warwickshire hospital with severe sunburn to my back. Yes it was hot and prolonged so much so our local river (Frome) dried up, it's still flowing ok at the moment so I'm not sure this summer is as bad, yet.

Previously JimC. joined back then in 2009. Frome, N/E Somerset, 125mtrs asl.
Offline TimS  
#518 Posted : 12 August 2022 10:55:23(UTC)
TimS

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 13/04/2010(UTC)
Posts: 11,094
Location: Brockley

Originally Posted by: Jim-55 Go to Quoted Post

 

I have no idea how hot it was in 1976 but I do know it was hot for some time. Most of the summer I spent at the Royal Agricultural Show at Stoneleigh, Coventry erecting the stands and farm buildings for a company for the show, most of what I remember was the heat and thunderstorms. At the latter stages of our stay I sign wrote the stand signs and the one next to us thus spending a few days in Warwickshire hospital with severe sunburn to my back. Yes it was hot and prolonged so much so our local river (Frome) dried up, it's still flowing ok at the moment so I'm not sure this summer is as bad, yet.

1976 was the culmination of a historical two year drought starting in summer 1975. Quite hard to compare the two. Our 2022 drought started this winter. 

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Offline RobR  
#519 Posted : 12 August 2022 14:04:03(UTC)
RobR

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 20/12/2010(UTC)
Posts: 558
Man
United Kingdom
Location: Solihull, West Midlands

Originally Posted by: GezM Go to Quoted Post

 

That is a sad reflection on today’s society. Unfortunately people can get away with spiteful and even threatening behaviour on social media. Platforms like Twitter just allow opinions to be polarised and for conspiracy theories to spread like a heatwave wildfire. There is a reason why most people who believe in a lot of these theories have a low IQ! 

I did notice that as the heatwave was building and even on the ‘big day’ itself, the BBC online reports always had a paragraph at the end implying that this extreme heat was as a result of climate change. I felt this was inappropriate because it was an unnecessary part of the story at the time and could have been seen as being provocative to the AGW brigade.  I’d have much preferred them to stick to the facts and leave the Met Office and other expert scientists to do the analysis and draw conclusions after the event.

 

They did a piece of BBC News at 10 on climate change again yesterday which was largely similar to the stuff back when we hit 40C. I'm not some conspiracy nut by any means but I have noticed them starting to drop in stuff like that in written articles without a quote from a scientist or the Met Office which really fuels the nutters on social media and doesn't help the BBCs reputation either in the long run from those who hate paying the licence fee.

Winter 21/22 in Nantwich

Days Snow Falling: 3

Days Snow Lying: 1

Deepest Snowfall: 28th November (3cm)

Latest Snowfall: 31st March

Winter 20/21 in Solihull

Days Snow Falling: 21

Days Snow Lying: 8

Deepest Snowfall: 24th January (9cm)

Latest Snowfall: 12th April

Winter 19/20 in Stoke

Days Snow Falling: 5

Days Snow Lying: 2

Deepest Snowfall: 10th Feb (5cm)

Winter 18/19 in Stoke

Days Snow Falling: 6

Days Snow Lying: 6

Deepest Snowfall: 29th Jan (3cm)

Winter 17/18 in Stoke

Days Snow Falling: 27

Days Snow Lying: 24

Deepest Snowfall: 18th March 2018 (10cm)

Offline sunny coast  
#520 Posted : 13 August 2022 22:32:38(UTC)
sunny coast

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 06/12/2009(UTC)
Posts: 685
Man
United Kingdom
Location: Eastbourne

Originally Posted by: picturesareme Go to Quoted Post
https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1557662017795887105?s=20&t=eyt77pLHRMbAoDuO4fVWMw

Lol

😆

Users browsing this topic
27 Pages«<24252627>
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Code of conduct

× FORUM Settings USER PHOTOS Sky Eye Camera Sky Eye Gallery MODEL CHARTS Arome Arpege ECM ECM ENS GEM GEFS GFS Icon E Fax CFS UK Met UK Met UK UK Met UKV UK Met MOGREPS-G