Tim A
04 April 2021 18:52:31

Chance of lying snow here first thing tomorrow morning and up in NE England.
https://modeles14.meteociel.fr/modeles/euro4/runs/2021040412/euro4_uk1-46-17-0.png?04-17

Met Office automated also shows -1c with snow showers 5 to 8am.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Joe Bloggs
04 April 2021 19:01:22
https://www.shetlandwebcams.com/town-hall-east/ 

Brilliant webcam Doc. Looks like the latest showers have started to accumulate on roofs and cars. 

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

howham
04 April 2021 20:00:13
Horizontal blowing snow showers here. White Easter!
Joe Bloggs
04 April 2021 21:15:54

Originally Posted by: Joe Bloggs 

Brilliant webcam Doc. Looks like the latest showers have started to accumulate on roofs and cars. 

Brilliant snow shower in progress there now. 

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

MRayner
04 April 2021 21:24:37

Went from 9C to -1 C in 4 hours, and now snowing heavily, and lying almost immediately , was surprised at that as ground temp must be still warm. 

Location Whisky 🥃 country, Cragganmore ,Moray, 440 AMSL
howham
04 April 2021 21:25:25
Two brief power cuts already tonight and the snow is settling.
Northern Sky
04 April 2021 22:03:25

A pretty hefty band of showers moving down though Scotland at the moment. I wonder if any will make it as far south as Leeds? 

Perthite1
05 April 2021 06:47:41

Really enjoying that webcam with the snow showers coming though. It’s a sultry Autumns day here in Perth around 26c with a dew point of 20c. So viewing those snow showers blowing in is very therapeutic. Thanks for the link. 

The Beast from the East
05 April 2021 08:21:15

Still a few members going for -20 and only hours away!

Upgrade for the second shot next weekend as well, though the extreme uppers have gone 

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
richardabdn
05 April 2021 08:33:41

Down to -3.4C overnight which is the lowest I've recorded in April (previous lowest -3.1C in 2010). It's currently -0.9C and has been below freezing for 12 hours which is longer than any other April has recorded in it's entirety apart from 2008 and 2013 

Snow amounts underwhelming so far. Nothing like the depths or intensity seen in April 2012 or 2015.

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
howham
05 April 2021 08:47:33
Currently -0.4C with frequent snow showers and feeling perishingly cold in the wind.
APerez
05 April 2021 15:34:13
Thankfully the sun is strong enough now that even with below average temperatures during the daytime the house still heats nicely during the sunny spells.
Alex.
Welwyn, Herts.
LeedsLad123
05 April 2021 16:15:04

It’s been sunny all day here, with only fluffy cumulus drifting by. Genuinely looks like a summer’s day, but certainly doesn’t feel like one. 

Luckily though the sun is rather strong now so it feels pleasant enough, particularly with the UV index now being around 4. Plus we exceeded 8C today despite a forecast high of only 6C. 

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Rob K
05 April 2021 16:18:26

Originally Posted by: LeedsLad123 

It’s been sunny all day here, with only fluffy cumulus drifting by. Genuinely looks like a summer’s day, but certainly doesn’t feel like one. 

Luckily the sun is rather strong now so it feels pleasant enough either way. Plus we exceeded 8C today despite a forecast high of only 6C. 

Yes at this time of year I think a 20C gradient from 850mb temps to 2m temps is attainable if you have sunshine. 

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Bolty
05 April 2021 16:50:31
Feels rotten out there. As other's have said, it looks like a nice day with sunshine, fair-weather cumulus and a deep blue sky, but that windchill is hideous.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
05 April 2021 16:55:27

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Feels rotten out there. As other's have said, it looks like a nice day with sunshine, fair-weather cumulus and a deep blue sky, but that windchill is hideous.

Im just pretending I’m on a skiing holiday and enjoying a beer in the sunshine in my warm coat at an outdoor temperature of 6C. 

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
johncs2016
05 April 2021 17:09:53

Originally Posted by: LeedsLad123 

Luckily though the sun is rather strong now so it feels pleasant enough, particularly with the UV index now being around 4. Plus we exceeded 8C today despite a forecast high of only 6C. 

Here in Edinburgh, it is a similar story with lots of sunshine and temperatures of around 7°C. That makes today, our coldest day of this year so far, but only just although we have already had more air frosts during this month than what we had during March which is not exactly what we should be expecting given that this should be a warming time of the year (if this was October, we would be expecting to get our first air frosts of the season, so this is actually when we should be starting to see our first temperatures of over 20°C for the year, especially as we get further on into this month).

Nevertheless, this usually always seems to be the one time of the year when we are guaranteed sunshine here. That happened last year and now, this appears to happening again and in that regard, it doesn't even seem to matter what the synoptics are actually like. At the same time, this has also become a time of year when it virtually never rains here and in recent years, there has been at least a couple of occasions when there has hardly been any rain here during the whole of the month of April and up until now, that appears to be happening once again.

You can't get snow if there isn't any precipitation around which can fall as snow, and that is what is happening here just now  When you add all of that together, this cold spell is turning out to be nothing different from what we have become used to seeing during recent years and yet, it never used to be like that because I can remember many Aprils in the past which would be wet and miserable due to southerly tracking lows which would still come far enough north to affect us here in Edinburgh.

Back then, northerlies in the winter would never bring any snow here but at this time of the year, it would then become a different story altogether due to the increased strength of the Sun which would then cause those snow showers to develop here during the day under this same air mass. That is something else, which doesn't appear to happen here any more, so I'm not expecting that to happen with this cold spell.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
tallyho_83
06 April 2021 01:22:10

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Here in Edinburgh, it is a similar story with lots of sunshine and temperatures of around 7°C. That makes today, our coldest day of this year so far, 

Really? 

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Crepuscular Ray
06 April 2021 07:10:21
Think he meant 'month'
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
johncs2016
06 April 2021 07:53:24

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Really? 

You're right, I meant to say this month rather than this year.

However, everything else is as it always is with yet more bright sunshine during this morning. Another point as regard to it always being sunny at this time of the year as that we are even completely devoid of any of the east coast haar which we have usually been renowned for getting at this time of the year from an easterly, so that is clearly becoming something else which never happens here any more.

Of course, we haven't really had any easterlies during this spring so far but when we we do get them, it is now often still turning out to be sunny these days even then (albeit cooler on the east coast itself), especially as we get into the afternoon, so that also adds to it being sunny for most of the time at this time of the year.

It used to be the case that we would need to make the most of any sunny spells which are around as the next period of relatively poor weather was always just around the corner with the sunshine never being guaranteed to come back. Nowadays, I can actually pick and choose the time and day when I decide to make the most of that because I know that this sunshine is usually always going to be here, especially at this time of year.

This current spell of weather isn't giving us any exception whatsoever to that rule, and I just wish that it could be like that during the summer rather than just now because even even it is cold, it is always going to be pleasant in that sunshine even if there is a raging northerly if you have some shelter from that as Jerry will no doubt have in his garden. 

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.