johncs2016
01 March 2021 07:14:17

Now that we have entered into a new season, I thought that this would be a good time to start this thread so when Richard from Aberdeen posts his famous rants amongst others, this is now the very place to do that.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
01 March 2021 08:03:57
Not much to moan about so far, it's a gloriously sunny start to spring, if a little chilly.
Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
LeedsLad123
01 March 2021 13:31:49
Slate grey overcast skies on the first day of spring here. I have a real love-hate relationship with this time of year.
Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
ARTzeman
01 March 2021 13:36:37

Lovely sunshine day for the 1st of the month.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Bolty
01 March 2021 14:22:09
The same as yesterday, started with a frost, but it's now up to 10°C under gin-clear skies, so a beautiful start to the spring. There's a very slight breeze though today.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
richardabdn
07 March 2021 09:49:48

This has to be up there with the worst ever starts to spring. Even March 1996 wasn't this bad in the first week and, while 2018 was even duller, at least then we had snow and an ice day.

All we have had since Monday afternoon, bar a respite from late Friday afternoon to late Saturday morning, is solid gloom. Mind-numbing, soul destroying grey skies with dire nasty temperatures and nothing of interest at all.

One solitary frost and not a single day reaching double figures. Not a single flake of snow. Just day after day of bleak overcast grot with temperatures around 4-5C. Today is the worst of the lot with a vile steady drizzle to contend with as well 

As usual the only thing worse than this appalling weather is the standard of BBC forecasts. On Thursday they forecast a sunny day with 8C for yesterday and similar for today with more cloud. Topped out at 6C yesterday with gloom all afternoon and today is looking like a washout when no rain was shown at all. 

Month after month of prolonged easterly garbage and not a single northerly all autumn/winter/spring is beyond a joke. March used to be possibly the most interesting month of the year but is now just as boring, bland and tedious as the rest. 

No sign of the frosts, late season snow, convection, first warmth and high diurnal ranges we should be seeing. Just endless grey crud with barely any range between night and day 

Between 2001 and 2010 only two Marches failed to record lying snow (2003 and 2009) whereas only three did between 2011 and 2020 (2013, 2016 and 2018). Now we are looking increasingly likely to draw blank again. It's utterly tedious and all down to the lack of northerlies.

Every year between 2006 and 2010, except for 2007, I recorded -5C or lower in March but not a single instance since 2011 and since 2014 it's not even dropped to -4C 

All we get nowadays are constant reminders that this is the blandest and most boring era for a weather enthusiast in recorded history 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
07 March 2021 09:59:22
Alls well in Aberdeen then...
Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
Saint Snow
07 March 2021 11:29:07

Don't think it's rained here this month yet. All set to change this week, but a nice opening to spring. 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
07 March 2021 12:01:31

A little chilly but instead of the daffs etc running out of colour in a few days the chill keeps them blooming for longer.

Still early days but if it's still like this in a months time maybe a moan would be in order.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
Tim A
07 March 2021 23:07:02
Bit of a bland boring month so far. Yes it is nice that it has dryed out but generally cool and grey. Looks like another snow free March is developing although early days of course.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
08 March 2021 07:36:07

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

Bit of a bland boring month so far. Yes it is nice that it has dryed out but generally cool and grey. Looks like another snow free March is developing although early days of course.

Wednesday night through into Thursday looks interersting enough though. Is this a named storm yet?

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
springsunshine
08 March 2021 08:27:39

Another year with an extended winter

Saint Snow
08 March 2021 11:31:20

First rain this month here this morning 

Martin
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
richardabdn
08 March 2021 14:22:12

Yet another filthy disgusting and depressing day that bears no resemblance to the 10C and sunshine that was forecast 

It's grey dull and wet and the temperature continues to fail to make double figures this month 

Forecasts were far more accurate in the days of Michael Fish and John Kettley. The current bunch are just useless beyond words and the only people that can fail abysmally at their job and suffer no consequences.

Sick and tired of feeling sick and tired at the relentless garbage that now passes for weather in this soul destroying hellhole 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Saint Snow
08 March 2021 14:56:09

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Forecasts were far more accurate in the days of Michael Fish and John Kettley. The current bunch are just useless beyond words and the only people that can fail abysmally at their job and suffer no consequences.

It you're referring to BBC forecasts, they outsourced forecasting to a private company and sacked the Met Office

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
idj20
08 March 2021 16:07:14

Originally Posted by: Col 

Wednesday night through into Thursday looks interersting enough though. Is this a named storm yet?

Trouble is; in my books strong winds and squally rain aren't interesting weather as I've had my fill of all that in the past 6 months. All my energies are looking forward to wearing T shirt and shorts at the first hint of actual Spring-like warmth where I can get outside without being wind-blasted or looking like a freshly plucked chicken. 

Folkestone Harbour. 
Essan
08 March 2021 16:44:01

Not all that sunny today, but quite warm and very pleasant for being outside.   Washing dried on the line despite no breeze ....

Later this week it gets windy and showery.  Maybe get the traditional March wind and April showers all at once?  

This is what is known as perfectly normal weather 

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Bolty
09 March 2021 17:22:11
Apart from that early month sunshine, it's been pretty bland so far. It's been generally cool and cloudy with not much else for the last week. That should change tomorrow though...
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Steve
09 March 2021 18:13:50

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Yet another filthy disgusting and depressing day that bears no resemblance to the 10C and sunshine that was forecast 

It's grey dull and wet and the temperature continues to fail to make double figures this month 

Sick and tired of feeling sick and tired at the relentless garbage that now passes for weather in this soul destroying hellhole 

https://www.samaritans.org/

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
10 March 2021 03:57:54

Originally Posted by: idj20 

Trouble is; in my books strong winds and squally rain aren't interesting weather as I've had my fill of all that in the past 6 months. All my energies are looking forward to wearing T shirt and shorts at the first hint of actual Spring-like warmth where I can get outside without being wind-blasted or looking like a freshly plucked chicken. 

Well I'd much prefer spring like wearmth although I wear shorts almost all the time anyway. It's still interesting weather even if it's considered 'bad' weather and something else would be more preferable especially as we edge towards proper spring.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos: