severnside
28 May 2021 09:52:24

Back to utter garbage again today, rain and permacast hell, cold at 12c. I booked today off as well which makes it 100 times worse !!!

Originally the cloud and gunk was well over to the West, Irish sea and clipping Wales.Anyway as usual the reality is different. The picture on the front of this website should be changed for North,East,West,South and the picture depicting each area. As it does no justice to the muck that we presently have here. Gloucestershire the New Outer Hebrides

Saint Snow
28 May 2021 09:59:38

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Chose May to go to the Highlands because I thought that was the one month where I wouldn't experience nuclear winter conditions. Couldn't have been more wrong with that.

At least the wee beasties should have been quiet

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
richardabdn
29 May 2021 08:19:58
Yet another day of putrid cold grey murky garbage 

It's just relentless. Day after day after day of depressing misery. Not a single decent day since the 11th.  Every single day is cloudy with below/well below average temperatures.

It just keeps getting worse and worse. This has been the worst month of any name here since July 2012 and it is supposed to be the best month of the year. Relentless easterly and northerly winds adding up to zero useable/pleasant weather.

These are the five worst months in the past 18 years here: 

June 2007 

August 2011

June 2012

July 2012

May 2021

Could probably fill the entire 'top' 10 with summer months. August 2008, July 2011, June 2014, June 2016 would all be worthy inclusions.  Absolute horrifying the lot of them. None of the late autumn/winter months get a look in. Even January 2014 managed a reasonable westerly spell of 5 dry days amidst the appalling easterly filth. Not that getting weather like this, at that time of year, is remotely comparable to getting it now.  

I don't know how much more of this I can take without suffering a breakdown. It is bleak, horrifying, draining and soul destroying. Like living through a nuclear winter. All the worse when this is the umpteenth time since 2007 that we've had to suffer this never-ending permacast hell like nothing we ever used to get when we had a changeable climate. The only way I could get through 2007 and 2012 was knowing I had two weeks in a decent climate to look forward to. Now I have nothing at all except the prospect of having all remaining life sucked out of me through enduring the most pitiful and inadequate summer weather to be found anywhere on the planet

There just seems no let up in the unmitigated horror and it just seems like this year is going to set records for persistent extreme cloudy cold and unpleasant conditions. It really does feel as though this could be the first year ever not to even reach 21C in addition to having the dullest extended summer on record. 

It's not reached 16C since 29th March and since 26th April 3 days out of 33 have managed >50% sun. Just relentless cold grot like nothing seen since the Little Ice Age.  No year has ever failed to record 16C in both April and May during modern times.

Not getting one passable warm and sunny day is beyond desperate. Even 1965 which had possibly the worst extended summer ever recorded saw 23C in May and 20C in March. Other horrific years like 1987 saw 24C in April and 2007 had 22C in both April and May. April in both those years was of course far warmer and even the poor Mays were light years ahead of this catastrophic disaster. 

Shetland without the sun pretty much sums up our appalling climate these days 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Crepuscular Ray
29 May 2021 09:42:39
The North Sea spoils it for us northeasterners in late Spring/ Early Summer. Its cold and dull here. Heating on!
Hope for something brighter later but i don't share the forecasters optimism just now!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
ARTzeman
29 May 2021 10:24:43

Sunny here, back to the rain next Wednesday.

But then it is a different season and different month.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
29 May 2021 13:08:44

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Yet another day of putrid cold grey murky garbage 

Yadda yadda yadda whatever. Every single month/season/year seems to be the worst forever for you.

But you quietly forget the good times, like the April just gone that was the sunniest on record in Aberdeen.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
johncs2016
29 May 2021 13:33:09

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

The North Sea spoils it for us northeasterners in late Spring/ Early Summer. Its cold and dull here. Heating on!
Hope for something brighter later but i don't share the forecasters optimism just now!

I still think that the weather over the next few days will be good enough for you to enjoy an outdoor lunch, though.

In any case, we are also coming out of lockdown now which means that you can now visit most other parts of the UK as well. Glasgow is still in a level 3 lockdown and is one place which we can't go to for now, but you will be able to go those favourite spots in the Lake District and other parts of England which you like to visit, and it is starting to look as though there could be some decent weather coming up in those locations as he head into the meteorological summer.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
29 May 2021 13:42:09

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

I still think that the weather over the next few days will be good enough for you to enjoy an outdoor lunch, though.

In any case, we are also coming out of lockdown now which means that you can now visit most other parts of the UK as well. Glasgow is still in a level 3 lockdown and is one place which we can't go to for now, but you will be able to go those favourite spots in the Lake District and other parts of England which you like to visit, and it is starting to look as though there could be some decent weather coming up in those locations as he head into the meteorological summer.

Good job nobody in their right mind would come to Bolton for a holiday anyway. The Sturgeon has banned it as we are all disease ridden down here, a town full of lepers according to the national media.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
doctormog
29 May 2021 14:15:56
It has been a glorious day here after the haar cleared around 10am. Not overly warm just very pleasant under clear blue skies.
springsunshine
30 May 2021 07:27:50

Lovely end to spring down here with the first 21c since 30th March and the first time in god knows how long the central heating hasn`t had to go on either day or night.

As its now the end of spring i would say this has been the most diabolical spring season since the 1986,utterly awful and until a couple of days ago has been more like an extended winter, except for 3 days at end of March it has been either freezing cold and or wet/windy.

This spring deserves no more than 1/10 utterly abyismal.

KevBrads1
31 May 2021 04:05:18
Idyllic yesterday, reminded me of very early June 2010 for some reason

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
ARTzeman
31 May 2021 11:06:24

This spring has been rusty spring weather. Not liked at all. 

Others just get wet.
Gavin D
31 May 2021 14:51:31
We've just managed to avoid March having the warmest day of spring after Kinloss hit 24.6c beating the March high of 24.5c at Kew Gardens
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
31 May 2021 15:29:57

Originally Posted by: Gavin D 

We've just managed to avoid March having the warmest day of spring after Kinloss hit 24.6c beating the March high of 24.5c at Kew Gardens

That's rather disappointing really. That would have made for quite a statistic.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
ARTzeman
31 May 2021 16:18:13

Glad the season and the month change after today.

Others just get wet.
doctormog
31 May 2021 18:11:06

Originally Posted by: Gavin D 

Kinlochewe in the NW Highlands reached 25.1°C. Here in this part of the east it didn’t reach 13°C.

richardabdn
31 May 2021 21:21:50

What a surprise heat and sunshine in the Highlands now that I have returned but more of the same putrid well below average easterly GARBAGE here.

Even once the filth cleared it could get no higher than 12.7C and with a nagging wind all afternoon it was totally unacceptable for the last day of Spring. The rather cool April high pressure felt far warmer because at least the wind wasn't as bad.

16.8C was the highest temperature I recorded this month. Utterly DISGUSTING. It's the sort of monthly maximum that would be expected in Shetland where it is impossible to get any wind off the land. The same is true here now 

The warmest temperature of this rancid spring was a truly awful 17.3C back on 29th March and that was a windy day with only 5.6 hours of sun little of which seemed to coincide with the only part of the day I could get out. 5th November 2020 and 27th February 2021 were nicer feeling days than just about anything this poxy spring could manage.

The monthly mean temperature was 8.2C - only 1996 was colder since 1968 and in the past 100 years only 1923 and 1968 were more than 0.2C colder. 

Rainfall was more than twice the average at 103.2mm making it the wettest May since 1997 and the 2nd wettest since 1969.

Sunshine was only 65% of average despite the weekend boost. The total of 131.7 hours made it the dullest since 1983 and the 10th dullest since 1880. 

All adds up to a horror month. Worst May since the record breaker of 1983 for combination of persistently cold, dull and wet misery. 1969 probably the only other unequivocally worse May.

May was the longest overdue for a top 10 dull month, the last one having occurred in 1993 (displaced into 11th position now). The longest run without a top 10 dull month is now September, this last having occurred in 1998.

However this pales in comparison to the longest overdue top 10 sunny month which unsurprisingly is the month most associated with permacast hell - June. Nothing in the top 10 since 1970 which means beyond most people's lifetime. No month has deteriorated more or improved at the same rate.

245 hours sun needed for that to happen - so roughly the same surplus required as the deficit for May. More chance of finishing with fewer than 137 hours which would set a new record low for May/June combined. A June as vile as 2007, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017 or 2020 would do it so a 60% chance based on the last 5 years 

Tomorrow will see another all time low reached for me. The first time I have ever seen bare trees in June. Unless those which I saw devoid of leaves today suddenly put on a growth spurt overnight which seems unlikely given the cold 8.7C temperature at present 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November