Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
26 March 2021 19:44:29

Originally Posted by: GezM 

That's a relief for me after last month. May be this is your year Caz? 

Maybe!  But I generally start OK and then go downhill fast. 

I see Gusty is gritting his teeth too!

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
ARTzeman
27 March 2021 11:18:23

Met  Office  Hadley             6.7c          Anomaly         1.2c provisional to  26th

Metcheck                     5.90c      Anomaly        0.26c

Netweather                  6.52c      Anomaly        0.23c

Peasedown  St  John    6.11c     Anomaly       0.79c.   

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Whether Idle
27 March 2021 12:01:31
With the mini heatwave now baked in I imagine the CET will end just above 7c?
Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Stormchaser
27 March 2021 20:08:24

Does look to be on for a finish right by the 7*C mark. ECM's backed down a little today, after GFS's slow crawl toward it during the past few days.

Meanwhile, the opening third of April continues to look wild. Some of the GFS runs of late have been phenomenally cold for the time of year. Today's 12z gives me barely above 4*C for the opening week and then changes very little out to 12th

That means it has the CET around 3.5*C below the 1981-2010 average! 

This happens in association with an extreme negative NAO spell, driven by an atmospheric wave heading up from the troposphere to the stratosphere and trying to punch into the polar vortex to take it down, only to get reflected back down again. Usually, such reflections from a single wave descend over Canada or Alaska. This time, it's over Greenland instead. The descending air supports unusually strong and persistent high pressure to our west and northwest.

So, there's legit potential for an impressively cold opening third or so to the month.

HOWEVER...

There's been a bit of a westward trend to the initial setup in today's model runs - and the ECM 12z has the cold largely missing to our west. In that scenario, low pressure to our southwest may in fact pump up some very warm air across a large part of Europe. It wouldn't be all that outlandish of that warmth was to reach southern UK.

SO...

We have a massive CET conundrum for the 2nd time this year (after the Feb one driven by the SSW). Arguably even 3 given the unusual situation we had with that cold high in January (fine details impacted temps a lot, especially the overnight lows).

Good thing I've done well with the conundrums so far this  year... (!)

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
ARTzeman
28 March 2021 10:17:12

Met  Office  Hadley           6.7c       Anomaly       1.2c  Provisional to 27th

Metcheck                          5.99c     Anomaly        -0.17c

Netweather                       6.55c     Anomaly        0.26c

Peasedown   St   John      6.6c       Anomaly        -0,3c.    

Others just get wet.
Stormchaser
28 March 2021 21:10:48

Took some time to process the GFS 12z run. What an extreme northerly that produced!

The model has just made an embarrassing climb-down on the opening four days of the month, mind. My CET estimate to 4th for that run is a staggering 3.2°C higher than the one from the 12z of yesterday .

As if in retaliation, in then gives me a CET estimate of just 1.4°C for 6th-9th, taking my estimate to-date down to the mid-4s °C.

Along the way, there's a possible sub-4°C daily maximum CET on 6th and several overnight minimums in the 3 to -4°C range. As a mean across the three sites. About a week into April. Sheesh! 

Fair to say, that's an outlandish solution. Yet it seems to sit within an ensemble spread that ventures even colder. Earlier today I saw one doing the rounds that brought 850s down near -20°C to Scotland. Resulting temps would be subzero by day even at sea level!

At the other end of the scale, an increasing number of model runs have been sending the coldest air west of the UK, leaving us under chilly, cyclonic conditions. A warm-up from the southeast thereafter is still on the table but seems less supported than it was 24 hours ago.

So much to contemplate as the 4th leg of this year's competition looms!

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] 🙂
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
ARTzeman
29 March 2021 10:23:53

Met Office Hadley        6.8c        Anomaly     1.2c provisional to 28th

Metcheck                     6.16c      Anomaly     -0.00c

Netweather                  6.69c      Anomaly     0.4c

Peasedown St John    6.6c       Anomaly       -0.3c.    

Others just get wet.
springsunshine
29 March 2021 12:50:55

Originally Posted by: Stormchaser 

Took some time to process the GFS 12z run. What an extreme northerly that produced!

The model has just made an embarrassing climb-down on the opening four days of the month, mind. My CET estimate to 4th for that run is a staggering 3.2°C higher than the one from the 12z of yesterday .

As if in retaliation, in then gives me a CET estimate of just 1.4°C for 6th-9th, taking my estimate to-date down to the mid-4s °C.

Along the way, there's a possible sub-4°C daily maximum CET on 6th and several overnight minimums in the 3 to -4°C range. As a mean across the three sites. About a week into April. Sheesh! 

Fair to say, that's an outlandish solution. Yet it seems to sit within an ensemble spread that ventures even colder. Earlier today I saw one doing the rounds that brought 850s down near -20°C to Scotland. Resulting temps would be subzero by day even at sea level!

At the other end of the scale, an increasing number of model runs have been sending the coldest air west of the UK, leaving us under chilly, cyclonic conditions. A warm-up from the southeast thereafter is still on the table but seems less supported than it was 24 hours ago.

So much to contemplate as the 4th leg of this year's competition looms!

A similar picture was being predicted by the models late february/early March and this month was looking decidedly cold hence i went for a CET guess of just 5.85 and even thought that was going to be on the high side., the models were way of the mark in the end I would expect there to be a further downgrade later this week and although easter is looking below average temerature wise i suspect there will be a rapid warm up shortly after.

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
29 March 2021 18:59:25

Originally Posted by: springsunshine 

A similar picture was being predicted by the models late february/early March and this month was looking decidedly cold hence i went for a CET guess of just 5.85 and even thought that was going to be on the high side., the models were way of the mark in the end I would expect there to be a further downgrade later this week and although easter is looking below average temerature wise i suspect there will be a rapid warm up shortly after.

The models always seem to do this to us just in time for our new monthly predictions.   

ARTzeman
30 March 2021 10:20:53

Met Office Hadley            7.0c          Anomaly       1.4c. Provisional to 29th

Metcheck                         6.32c        Anomaly          0.16c

Netweather                      6.9c          Anomaly          0.61c 

Peasedown St John        6.9c         Anomaly          0.0c.

Others just get wet.
Saint Snow
30 March 2021 10:35:15

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

Met Office Hadley            7.0c          Anomaly       1.4c. Provisional to 29th

Metcheck                         6.32c        Anomaly          0.16c

Netweather                      6.9c          Anomaly          0.61c 

Peasedown St John        6.9c         Anomaly          0.0c.

Could inch up another couple of tenths of a degree with the lovely weather today and tomorrow.

Hope the inevitable downwards correction isn't too extreme, although I still think that, with what the month was looking like a week or so into it, I've somewhat dodged a bullet - which makes a change  (usual thing is that, as we get to mid-month, my guess seems well on track for a decent finish, only for some anomalous weather - mild or cold - to appear out of nowhere and ruin my month in that last week)

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
redmoons
30 March 2021 10:39:01

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Could inch up another couple of tenths of a degree with the lovely weather today and tomorrow.

Hope the inevitable downwards correction isn't too extreme, although I still think that, with what the month was looking like a week or so into it, I've somewhat dodged a bullet - which makes a change  (usual thing is that, as we get to mid-month, my guess seems well on track for a decent finish, only for some anomalous weather - mild or cold - to appear out of nowhere and ruin my month in that last week)

Looking good, I am hoping for a 0.3 rise each day for the last 2 days and then a small correction 

Andrew,
Watford
ASL 35m
http://weather.andrewlalchan.co.uk 

ARTzeman
30 March 2021 11:05:49

Down a degree would suit me. 

Others just get wet.
Saint Snow
30 March 2021 18:51:28

Originally Posted by: redmoons 

Looking good, I am hoping for a 0.3 rise each day for the last 2 days and then a small correction 

I'd be quite happy with that 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
30 March 2021 19:41:23

Originally Posted by: Global Warming 

Here are the March predictions

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

Table

Thought it would be good to have the chart here. Save going back to page one. 

Surrey John
31 March 2021 08:57:00
Is there an April thread, so do we just PM our estimate today pending thread creation

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
35m ASL
ARTzeman
31 March 2021 10:38:05

Met Office Hadley           7.2c        Anomaly       1.5c    provisional to 30th

Metcheck                        6.59c      Anomaly       0.43c

Netweather                     7.08c      Anomaly       0.79c

Peasedown St John      7.16c       Anomaly       0.26c. 

Others just get wet.
redmoons
01 April 2021 05:51:55
No April thread, what is the CET average for April?
Andrew,
Watford
ASL 35m

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
01 April 2021 05:57:39

I’ve just pm’d my April guess.   

redmoons
01 April 2021 06:22:54

Originally Posted by: Caz 

I’ve just pm’d my April guess.   

His inbox is full now

Andrew,
Watford
ASL 35m