Martybhoy
20 January 2021 08:09:12

Good morning. I’ve been asked what I would like for my birthday and I don’t actually need anything so I thought this might be fun for my son and I. Something that I can attach to a thick fence post outside and will beam wirelessly into the house on a display. 

would be great to be able to measure and track temperatures, wind speeds, precipitation, sunlight hours etc.

there are so many options on Amazon and frankly I haven’t a clue.

200m above sea level
Rural East Ayrshire
Near to the village of Sorn
speckledjim
20 January 2021 08:13:41
I bought the Bresser 5-1 weather station from Amazon - £89. It's fine for me as I didn't want to spend too much. It doesn't give you sunshine hours or outside dew points but has the rest.
Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
Martybhoy
20 January 2021 10:41:56
Thanks Jim
200m above sea level
Rural East Ayrshire
Martybhoy
20 January 2021 10:42:28
Does it have much of a range or do you have to fit it fairly close to your house?
200m above sea level
Rural East Ayrshire
IanM
20 January 2021 16:48:35

I have had a Weather Ranger for some years, simple to set up and no problems.  good value for money.  Have a look:-

Aercus Weather Ranger

Russwirral
20 January 2021 17:06:18

Originally Posted by: IanM 

I have had a Weather Ranger for some years, simple to set up and no problems.  good value for money.  Have a look:-

Aercus Weather Ranger

Aye this is what ive got.  you need to have a little bit of IT accumen , but the instructions are good.

One of the frustrating things Ive learnt from having a weather station is Wunderground.  It used to allow you to look at all your history on one page, but it was sold off, and the new owners have restricted your view to one months worth of data at a time.  rather than a Year view, which is frustrating when you want to look at an annual view.

Other than that - its great.... the link to my weathr station using the weather ranger is in the sig below, for an idea on what data you get.

icpass
20 January 2021 17:13:06

I have a davis vantage pro 2 ,very good especially if connected with meteobridge.

Ian pass bath
www.cotswoldobservatory.co.uk
Snow Hoper
20 January 2021 17:37:00
I've got Davis Vantage Vue. Accurate and reliable and the cheapest of the Davis brand. Not keen on how they house all of the instruments together, but it's a small detail in an otherwise quality unit.

Anyone got a Bresser 7 in 1? Want to know how good the shield is for the temps and whether it's as good as Vue's?
Going to war over religion is like killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend.

Home : Thorndon, Suffolk.
fairweather
20 January 2021 18:30:04

Vantage if you've got a lot of money to spend. Bresser is good vslue and will do what you said. The best value ones used to be The Fine Offset ones made by Watson and later Maplin. Brilliant because they also linked to a PC by USB giving easy possibilities for data manipulation and websites. Mine has been going for 12 years but it's a bit like Trigger's broom ! I don't recommend them so much now as spares are getting tricky although they are still sold by a company called Froggit. Netamo are good because they link direct to a cloud based app so you can see readings away from home.

This a great link to review some and buy them from:-

https://durhamweather.co.uk/best-buy-weather-stations-at-durham-weather-shop/

S.Essex, 42m ASL
speckledjim
20 January 2021 18:41:29

Originally Posted by: Martybhoy 

Does it have much of a range or do you have to fit it fairly close to your house?

its about 30 metres from the base unit and in sight of it. I believe it has a much longer range but I’d imagine you wouldn’t want it blocked by walls etc.

Thorner, West Yorkshire

Journalism is organised gossip
Martybhoy
23 January 2021 20:23:06

Thanks guys, think I'll go for the Aercus.

200m above sea level
Rural East Ayrshire
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
23 January 2021 23:25:24
By the way re Weatherunderground etc, agree it’s not what it used to be but there are some other decent sites out there, and for Davis owners the Weatherlink site and record keeping isn’t bad. Still would be better if you could easily export to excel though.

Incidentally my WS is at my new vineyard, the bottom of which is (worryingly) a full on frost hollow and has been the coldest spot in Kent on a couple of occasions. Wunderground ref is icante19.

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
wingman
12 February 2021 15:56:45

Originally Posted by: Martybhoy 

Thanks guys, think I'll go for the Aercus.

Hi, I am also considering a weather station purchase. Did you buy an aercus? If so, which model and what were your impressions of it please?

Thanks