doctormog
25 January 2021 18:58:58

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

The 12z ENS for Aberdeen look cold throughout the entire run as well as continued precipitation spikes - a recipe for snow maybe?

No, rain. It’s cool rather than cold.

tallyho_83
25 January 2021 19:09:32

Looking at some long range data - EC goes for above average heights to our north from Scandinavia to Iceland to Greenland = a perfect recipe for an easterly if this came about even better than it is forecast to be colder than average for Scandinavia:

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

fairweather
25 January 2021 19:13:42

Originally Posted by: Tom Oxon 

Yes, but I feel these scenarios are a perpetual jam tomorrow at the moment, can't get them out of T168+.

Yes, been like a broken record for the South East this winter. Or in fact most of the last 10 !

S.Essex, 42m ASL
nsrobins
25 January 2021 19:14:02

Looking at some long range data - EC goes for above average heights to our north from Scandinavia to Iceland to Greenland = a perfect recipe for an easterly if this came about even better than it is forecast to be colder than average for Scandinavia:

Have you got the height anomalies? Those charts are ppn and temp.

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
Rob K
25 January 2021 19:34:51
ECM looks pretty disappointing in the longer term compared to some of the other output this evening.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
nsrobins
25 January 2021 19:37:32

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

ECM looks pretty disappointing in the longer term compared to some of the other output this evening.

Agreed Rob but it could just be playing slow catch-up.

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
tallyho_83
25 January 2021 19:42:40

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

Agreed Rob but it could just be playing slow catch-up.

Which is the most reliable model would you say? - The ECM is only updated every 12 hours so surely it's less reliable than GFS?

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

doctormog
25 January 2021 19:46:20

Which is the most reliable model would you say? - The ECM is only updated every 12 hours so surely it's less reliable than GFS?

That’s not how it works. If the GFS changes its scenarios every 6 hours and the ECM is more consistent (and consistently accurate) but with half the frequency of runs then the latter is more reliable.

jhall
25 January 2021 19:51:12

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

That’s not how it works. If the GFS changes its scenarios every 6 hours and the ECM is more consistent (and consistently accurate) but with half the frequency of runs then the latter is more reliable.

I believe validation has shown the ECM generally to have a slight edge on the GFS if you compare runs with the same starting time. I suppose an open question is whether the extra 6 hours data that the GFS 06Z and 18Z have over the ECM 0Z and 12Z makes them more accurate if you compare them.

Cranleigh, Surrey
tallyho_83
25 January 2021 19:53:45

Right so for now this weekend there is good agreement in mods for colder weather to return.

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

doctormog
25 January 2021 19:54:44

Originally Posted by: jhall 

I believe validation has shown the ECM generally to have a slight edge on the GFS if you compare runs with the same starting time. I suppose an open question is whether the extra 6 hours data that the GFS 06Z and 18Z have over the ECM 0Z and 12Z makes them more accurate if you compare them.

Yes, that’s a fair question. Although the same could probably go for the other models that are issued 4 times a day. Observationally (with no statistics at hand to back it up) I would suggest that even with an extra couple of runs a day the GFS op runs rarely get a “head start” on the ECM runs.

tallyho_83
25 January 2021 20:19:28

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

Have you got the height anomalies? Those charts are ppn and temp.

Sorry Neil - I don't - I only had this bookmarked to my favorites and thought of having a look.

Meanwhile - i see the Daily Express saw the 12z Operational run:

Dr Claire-Kennedy Edwards??

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/1388636/UK-Snow-forecast-weather-warning-met-office-snow-charts-winter-ice-London-weather-latest?fbclid=IwAR2ikQIltS8GNpvqJhlmPkI83_g3xDWpigGD4CtmSmOTIJ4qkxFlOQ2ufhY

What happened to their 20" of snow?

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

western100
25 January 2021 20:38:34

Yes, that’s a fair question. Although the same could probably go for the other models that are issued 4 times a day. Observationally (with no statistics at hand to back it up) I would suggest that even with an extra couple of runs a day the GFS op runs rarely get a “head start” on the ECM runs.

For me I personally think the ECM twice a day is more consistent. I find 4 updates a day to have wild fluctuations and ultimately eventually returns similar output to those which run x2 a day

That’s not to say there aren’t many examples where this is wrong but on the balance of probabilities I don’t think 4 runs a day are required?

Worcestershire / Warwickshire Border
100m ASL
Twitter…..@Weather4u2
Snow Hoper
25 January 2021 22:47:38
Of course, the easterly is now a South westerly on the GFS 18z🤣
Going to war over religion is like killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend.

Home : Thorndon, Suffolk.
Snow Hoper
25 January 2021 22:59:50

Para's doing it's best to save the situation.....

Going to war over religion is like killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend.

Home : Thorndon, Suffolk.
tallyho_83
25 January 2021 23:58:50

Originally Posted by: Snow Hoper 

Of course, the easterly is now a South westerly on the GFS 18z🤣

I knew the 18z would swing mild - or even worse the exact opposite. Getting a bit of a deja vu now me thinks with flip flopping this even 06z showed a northerly post 300z, the 12z showed an easterly with scandi High post 300z with low pressure over southern Europe and most recently the 18z showed a south westerly post 300z with high pressure over southern Europe? What next for the 00z run? We have seen every possible scenario from azores high, northern blocking, to barlett high - just couldn't make it up could you!

I guess the Express would have to re title their front page to "Heatwave to approach the UK"

At least the 18z Op was a milder option of the GFS Ensembles. The para and control has potential - Control shows an easterly post 300z. 

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

BJBlake
26 January 2021 00:21:24

GFS Control pretty eye catching too, and the GEM is still showing a cold outcome - so anything past 144 hours is speculation right now: Clearly eye candy runs are still plausible because they keep popping up, so, as they say, we will see: Feb has promise.

Brecklands, South Norfolk 28m ASL
Arbroath 1320
26 January 2021 00:22:33

I knew the 18z would swing mild - or even worse the exact opposite. Getting a bit of a deja vu now me thinks with flip flopping this even 06z showed a northerly post 300z, the 12z showed an easterly with scandi High post 300z with low pressure over southern Europe and most recently the 18z showed a south westerly post 300z with high pressure over southern Europe? What next for the 00z run? We have seen every possible scenario from azores high, northern blocking, to barlett high - just couldn't make it up could you!

I guess the Express would have to re title their front page to "Heatwave to approach the UK"

At least the 18z Op was a milder option of the GFS Ensembles. The para and control has potential - Control shows an easterly post 300z. 

The forecasters are struggling to figure out the Northerly progression of the milder air over the next few days, so predicting what's going to happen in 7-10 days time in the current set up is extremely difficult. 

Small tweaks in the set up in the short term could lead to significant differences down the line. I would be sceptical of the MO output beyond 3-4 days at present. 

GGTTH
Gandalf The White
26 January 2021 00:47:19

Just a glance at the model verification stats would tell you that accuracy starts to fall away quite quickly beyond 5 days. At 10 days and more the operational runs are generally pretty useless.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Gandalf The White
26 January 2021 00:49:25

Originally Posted by: Arbroath 1320 

The forecasters are struggling to figure out the Northerly progression of the milder air over the next few days, so predicting what's going to happen in 7-10 days time in the current set up is extremely difficult. 

Small tweaks in the set up in the short term could lead to significant differences down the line. I would be sceptical of the MO output beyond 3-4 days at present. 

They were still changing their forecasts for Sunday’s snow just 12 hours before - and still got the detail wrong!

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E