roadrunnerajn
25 January 2021 14:51:59

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Does anyone know where these following members are: Festivalking (Plymouth), Gaz (Torquay), Adrian (Dawlish) etc are? - Would be good to have more members reporting from the south western parts of the UK? I know Squish reports from Dartmoor occasionally but it's not a true representation of the weather in the SW as he is right up on DARTMOOR - There is 'roadrunner'. But I am sure there are more in the south west. Not a rant. - But where are those guys? - If anyone knows of course..?

I believe cornishblrzzard sometimes comments.

Germoe, part of the breakaway Celtic Republic.
Essan
25 January 2021 15:43:30

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

This map highlights perfectly why a number of contributors were miffed.

My mini snow shield worked perfectly.

Yes it snowed, but crazy to have London split in half like that.

https://twitter.com/danholley_/status/1353625551609749504?s=21

Basically, the front never pushed any further east.   So only western London recieved precipitation

Evesham also stands out on the map - if you can find Worcestershire, you'll see Worcester had 4cm, Evesham (in the SE corner of the country) really stands out with just 1cm and everywhere round about got more ....  What's particularly galling is how much more places like Tewkesbury - downstream from us - got!  So wasn't even elevation 

Edit: and I have just realised where Dan gets his data from to always show Evesham so accurately in his maps     My back garden! 

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Saint Snow
25 January 2021 16:04:54

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Does anyone know where these following members are: Festivalking (Plymouth), Gaz (Torquay), Adrian (Dawlish) etc are? - Would be good to have more members reporting from the south western parts of the UK? I know Squish reports from Dartmoor occasionally but it's not a true representation of the weather in the SW as he is right up on DARTMOOR - There is 'roadrunner'. But I am sure there are more in the south west. Not a rant. - But where are those guys? - If anyone knows of course..?

Devonian?

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
roadrunnerajn
25 January 2021 16:08:46

What’s really depressing is seeing a system move in from the west and you know there is no chance of snow for down here. Saying that if I still lived in the Matlock area yesterday it  was as frustrating as it could get. Matlock got about 1cm from that stalled front whilst 18 miles down the A6 at Derby they got close to 15cm.

Retron
26 January 2021 05:16:20

Originally Posted by: Essan 

Basically, the front never pushed any further east.   So only western London recieved precipitation

Oh, it made it all the way to the east - as rain.

Cold rain fans in Kent would have rated this the best winter ever!

Leysdown, north Kent
Heavy Weather 2013
26 January 2021 07:52:25
Model watching at the moment is like pulling teeth. Iโ€™m lucky, at least I have seen snow falling, no accumulations so far.

Perhaps next year. We should assume that a SSW is bad news for the southern half of the UK rather than good and would be easier to take.

Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
Zubzero
26 January 2021 08:26:09

Model watching at the moment is like pulling teeth. I’m lucky, at least I have seen snow falling, no accumulations so far.

Perhaps next year. We should assume that a SSW is bad news for the southern half of the UK rather than good and would be easier to take.

Way to much emphasis is put on SSW for our tiny part of the World  I see it as one of many parts of the puzzle. It might affect us directly or I might wake up to a foot of snow one day... Who knows?? 

roadrunnerajn
26 January 2021 08:33:25

Originally Posted by: Zubzero 

Way to much emphasis is put on SSW for our tiny part of the World  I see it as one of many parts of the puzzle. It might affect us directly or I might wake up to a foot of snow one day... Who knows?? 

Yes an SSW is very much like a jigsaw puzzle. You’ve found a corner piece but now you’ve got to put the other 999 pieces in to place before you get the picture you’re looking for.

Rob K
26 January 2021 08:36:58

This map highlights perfectly why a number of contributors were miffed.

My mini snow shield worked perfectly.

Yes it snowed, but crazy to have London split in half like that.

https://twitter.com/danholley_/status/1353625551609749504?s=21

That's a really good map. Ties in perfectly with my 7cm in this corner of Hampshire.

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." โ€” Jerome K. Jerome
Zubzero
26 January 2021 08:39:06

Originally Posted by: roadrunnerajn 

Yes an SSW is very much like a jigsaw puzzle. You’ve found a corner piece but now you’ve got to put the other 999 pieces in to place before you get the picture you’re looking for.

Indeed ๐Ÿ‘

Or lose a piece of the puzzle down the sofa and throw the jigsaw out the window.

Gooner
26 January 2021 09:02:05

Does anyone know why the 2018 March snow was 6 weeks after a SSW , yet it's only 3 weeks since this years event and we are disappointed it hasn't delivered? 

Who is to say in 3 weeks we won't be  under a severe Easterly and snow because of the SSW in early Jan

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

Zubzero
26 January 2021 09:12:29

Originally Posted by: Gooner 

Does anyone know why the 2018 March snow was 6 weeks after a SSW , yet it's only 3 weeks since this years event and we are disappointed it hasn't delivered? 

Who is to say in 3 weeks we won't be  under a severe Easterly and snow because of the SSW in early Jan

Or we could be in a mild sw flow. And the SSW would be forgot about (would the SSW be the main cause of our weather then?) 

My understanding of it is very limited, but I can not see how one part of the hugely complex weather system. Can affect us that directly.

Gooner
26 January 2021 09:20:10

Or we could be in a mild sw flow. And the SSW would be forgot about (would the SSW be the main cause of our weather then?) 

My understanding of it is very limited, but I can not see how one part of the hugely complex weather system. Can affect us that directly.

Me too , hence just putting it out there -  I always  thought the delay was longer but maybe there is no set time lag ??

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

Zubzero
26 January 2021 09:37:41

Originally Posted by: Gooner 

Me too , hence just putting it out there -  I always  thought the delay was longer but maybe there is no set time lag ??

I've read it can "downwell" to affect the weather from as little as 2 weeks to as much as 2 months. But the effects can vary a lot depending on, if the SSW displaces the strat vortex or splits it. As I said I have very basic knowledge of it๐Ÿ˜ถโ˜บ

Saint Snow
26 January 2021 11:50:23

0c and rain.

I may as well be in Aberdeen.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
fairweather
26 January 2021 12:30:27

Originally Posted by: Retron 

Oh, it made it all the way to the east - as rain.

Cold rain fans in Kent would have rated this the best winter ever!

In fact it probably applies to pretty much most of Sussex, Essex and Suffolk but anywhere within 20 miles of the Thames Estuary particularly awful. Of course the other thing is the number of people not affected - several million, who have to watch the news as if everybody got 6" of snow.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
fairweather
26 January 2021 12:36:25

Looking at the charts there will be no cold for a week. That leaves just three weeks of this wretched winter. It couldn't have been worse here really. At least last winter it was dry and mild after Christmas so you go for walks in the woods without being engulfed in mud. It has undoubtedly been colder this year but with just one day with light snow falling and none lying the endless grey and wet will hopefully never be surpassed. We haven't even had any decent frosts. Last night was forecast to be -3C and yet only briefly dropped to -0.6C. It has had absolutely nothing going for it other than early mis-placed hope I guess.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
NMA
  • NMA
  • Advanced Member
26 January 2021 13:38:29

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

Looking at the charts there will be no cold for a week. That leaves just three weeks of this wretched winter. It couldn't have been worse here really. At least last winter it was dry and mild after Christmas so you go for walks in the woods without being engulfed in mud. It has undoubtedly been colder this year but with just one day with light snow falling and none lying the endless grey and wet will hopefully never be surpassed. We haven't even had any decent frosts. Last night was forecast to be -3C and yet only briefly dropped to -0.6C. It has had absolutely nothing going for it other than early mis-placed hope I guess.

Couldn’t agree more. Incredible really when some are already passing this winter off as Classic.

47 a Classic by all accounts, 62/63 the same, 78 with it’s blizzard of course but this year? I think not.

The picture Tally and Michael posted earlier sums it up too. Not even a flake of snow here so I’ll give this winter a 2/10 solely on account of a medium frost or two though -4C the lowest here, is hardly a harsh frost even for this part of the world.

Room for improvement and if by some extraordinary piece of 850’s magic a potent long fetch easterly does materialise with a Channel low sliding into the Med before the end of February I’ll revisit my score but with DEW’s spring flower thread I might as well call it quits for this winter.

One thing. I bet there will a notable easterly between March and May. Hot, Cold or Meh I have no idea.

Vale of the Great Dairies
South Dorset
Elevation 60m 197ft
richardabdn
26 January 2021 20:32:18

Found this while I was going through some old photos

From 22nd December 2003. I have no memory of this snowfall. It was a run of the mill fall in a mild winter month. Nothing outstanding or noteworthy. Something you would expect several times a year.

Today marks 8 years since the end of the last decent winter snowfall and since then we have only had two half decent falls as good as the above in winter - February 2015 and December 2017 

Today brought more insulting nasty cold rubbish. Looks like there's been yet more cold rain recently at 1 degrees 

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Tim A
26 January 2021 20:51:29

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

Found this while I was going through some old photos

From 22nd December 2003. I have no memory of this snowfall. It was a run of the mill fall in a mild winter month. Nothing outstanding or noteworthy. Something you would expect several times a year.

Today marks 8 years since the end of the last decent winter snowfall and since then we have only had two half decent falls as good as the above in winter - February 2015 and December 2017 

Today brought more insulting nasty cold rubbish. Looks like there's been yet more cold rain recently at 1 degrees 

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS 

Back in the early days of TWO, about the time of your photo,  Doc used to post a webcam link for Aberdeen , think it showed a path and a square of grass at the University . Used to enjoy watching it go white over from successive snow showers , often particularly exciting to watch as most of the country was not joining in on the fun.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl