Rob K
24 January 2021 16:14:47
Nah we all know the south coast is tropical year round :)

Undisturbed snow is hanging on, not that there is much of that with two kids! Anywhere it has been walked on it is more or less vanishing. Hoping the temperature drops now to preserve a bit of white till the morning!
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Saint Snow
24 January 2021 17:22:37

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

Typical. The snow band passed just to our south.

By about 300 miles. 

The rain will not offer us such a courtesy later.

At least you knew the snow would miss you. We were on the northern boundary but apart from some brief snizzle, it was dry. 

Just 10 miles south, some places got a couple of cm.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
howham
24 January 2021 23:46:08
A bit fed up of this winter now. Cold, yes. Snow, hardly any. In fact that goes for the last few as well.

What ever happened to good old northerlies?!? Why is there always an easterly component to the wind these days?
fairweather
25 January 2021 00:11:01

A cheeky bit of light snow turned back to rain and poked its tongue out on the way past returning south tonight.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
tallyho_83
25 January 2021 00:20:48

Originally Posted by: howham 

A bit fed up of this winter now. Cold, yes. Snow, hardly any. In fact that goes for the last few as well.

What ever happened to good old northerlies?!? Why is there always an easterly component to the wind these days?

Are you Richard in disguise? 

Least you had some on Xmas eve and last week?

What about for some of us in the far south west esp lowland southern parts - We still haven't had what I call any 'proper' snow. central and southern parts as well as the very far SE have yet to see any snow falling let alone settling.

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

tallyho_83
25 January 2021 01:35:42
Not really a moan but more of an observation - Met Office forecast a low of -6c for the wider SW tonight (Sunday night) and BBC forecast low of -4c - truth is we have not got below +2.0c yet and it's 01:30am. Annoying stubborn cloud cover. - Maybe from that decaying frontal system pushing back southwards before clearing? :s

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Chelsea
25 January 2021 07:46:07

Yes as usual we, in Chelmsford, missed all the snow, except for a few flakes in the rain, whilst others just 10 miles away had a lot. To annoy me more the BBC 5 Live forecaster said everyone in the country had snow and has laying snow so enjoy crunching in t today..........

nsrobins
25 January 2021 09:40:52

Originally Posted by: Chelsea 

Yes as usual we, in Chelmsford, missed all the snow, except for a few flakes in the rain, whilst others just 10 miles away had a lot. To annoy me more the BBC 5 Live forecaster said everyone in the country had snow and has laying snow so enjoy crunching in t today..........

Don’t be too bitter. I’ve had to put up with years of this living close to The Solent in a notoriously poor spot for snow, falling or otherwise. 
We need easterlies, pure and simple.

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
howham
25 January 2021 09:44:09

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

What about for some of us in the far south west esp lowland southern parts - We still haven't had what I call any 'proper' snow. central and southern parts as well as the very far SE have yet to see any snow falling let alone settling.

Yes, the thinnest of coverings Xmas Eve lasted into Xmas Day and we had about 1cm around the 8th (lasted into the Saturday).  Other than that, lots of cold rain.  Last few winters equally as sparse.  I mean, I'm not saying it isn't wintry but the lack of snow compared to average here is bizarre.

Heavy Weather 2013
25 January 2021 10:13:21
This map highlights perfectly why a number of contributors were miffed.

My mini snow shield worked perfectly.

Yes it snowed, but crazy to have London split in half like that.

https://twitter.com/danholley_/status/1353625551609749504?s=21 

Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
tallyho_83
25 January 2021 10:18:17

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

Goodness me didn't realise E london had no accumulating snow at all compared to 5-10cm in west London!? :

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

richardabdn
25 January 2021 10:50:39

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

SW England getting no snow is in no way comparable to NE Scotland not getting any snow. One was always the least snowy region in the country while the other was the snowiest and now gets nothing at all. Pitiful dustings that last 36-48hrs don't count. 

I was sick fed up of this atrocious winter before it began. I've been sick fed up of winter for 8 years constantly subjected to the ludicrous scenario of pretty much everywhere else continuing to get normal levels of snowfall while we get next to nothing  

Edinburgh and Manchester getting more snow in a winter than Aberdeen was something that just never happened before and it just gets worse with now West & North London getting more than we've had in years while we get more putrid crap. More repulsive cold rain falling overnight under just about the mildest air in the country with the temperature getting nowhere near freezing  

It's beyond credulity that mild air keeps coming down from the north. What the hell is causing this? Cold air always came from the north not the west like it has constantly over the past 8 years. 

We never even had two consecutive winters that failed to reach 5cm depth but now we're on to the third that hasn't achieved that measly and pathetic threshold. Beyond ludicrous and all the more preposterous that this January could end up colder than every January of the 1960s bar 1963 yet end up virtually snowless yet again with less snow than many of the mildest Januaries on record  

ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
phlippy67
25 January 2021 11:02:13
My thoughts exactly, how on earth does a huge metropolis such as London with a supposed UHI that increases the air temperature by 2-4degC manage to get hours of heavy snow from a weather system that came from the west when last week in my part of northern England, SE Holderness, we had a band of heavy ppn coming down from the Nth with no UHI in sight and temps of 1degC and yet all we got was hours of heavy rain...!!! really gets my goat, it goes against the laws of physics, like Manchester too, i lived there for 11yrs and it snowed heavily twice due to the UHI effect yet these days even they're getting regular snowfalls, it really is just a kick in the teeth, two years without snow falling in my area and the wait goes on...the models don't look promising either as the UK seems to be always in the mild wedge, i though the Jet was meant to plunge south in Feb...!!!
Ally Pally Snowman
25 January 2021 12:03:08

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

Wow that is an amazing map I'm right on the edge Herts/Essex with about 2cm. The issue the east had was it became marginal we probably had 8cm + fall but only 1/2cm settled. 

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Zubzero
25 January 2021 12:24:57

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Wow that is an amazing map I'm right on the edge Herts/Essex with about 2cm. The issue the east had was it became marginal we probably had 8cm + fall but only 1/2cm settled. 

Was right on the cut off line in Cambridge. My brother done well in Welwyn. Most frustrating snow event I can remember 😈😈. I've had it with this Winter now roll on Summer 

Ally Pally Snowman
25 January 2021 12:33:22

Originally Posted by: Zubzero 

Was right on the cut off line in Cambridge. My brother done well in Welwyn. Most frustrating snow event I can remember 😈😈. I've had it with this Winter now roll on Summer 

It is incredibly frustrating isn't it when it's so close  , we had just enough here to build a little snowman with my sons.  My 7 year old really seems to love snow now but my 5 year old hates the cold so can't really cope with snow. We had just enough here to scratch the snow itch . But with the coldish winter likely to continue after a brief mild spell, it looks  like more marginal snow opportunities for our part of the world. Hopefully we get lucky and get one fall of 5cm at least.

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
doctormog
25 January 2021 12:36:38

Too
Much
Easterly
Muck

Rant over.

howham
25 January 2021 13:42:07

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

Too
Much
Easterly
Muck

Rant over.

#TMEM

doctormog
25 January 2021 14:10:17

Originally Posted by: howham 

#TMEM

Perhaps: "Still having irritating tepid easterlies" might work as well? 

tallyho_83
25 January 2021 14:32:41

Does anyone know where these following members are: Festivalking (Plymouth), Gaz (Torquay), Adrian (Dawlish) etc are? - Would be good to have more members reporting from the south western parts of the UK? I know Squish reports from Dartmoor occasionally but it's not a true representation of the weather in the SW as he is right up on DARTMOOR - There is 'roadrunner'. But I am sure there are more in the south west. Not a rant. - But where are those guys? - If anyone knows of course..?

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com