Joe Bloggs
23 January 2021 21:42:07

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I think it was. Manchester city centre had no snow, and even a colleague who lives in Flixton had just flurries. It was an ENE flow and we got about 12cm level, plus some amazing drifts.

Below pic shows a weird, frozen wave-type drift, somehow caused by the snow coming through the hedge (a large farmer's field is behind). The land my eldest is stood on is a flat grass verge alongside a road. 

We benefited from large area of PPN (iirc from a frontal feature) moving WSW'wards, that reorganised over here as it approached the North East Wales mountains. Areas around Wrexham, Mold, Llangollen had 30-40cm of level snow. 

Absolutely amazing. 

Last time we had anything like that was January 2010. 

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

Saint Snow
23 January 2021 22:41:05

Originally Posted by: Joe Bloggs 

Absolutely amazing. 

Last time we had anything like that was January 2010. 

Was the Dec 10 fall not comparable? 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Joe Bloggs
23 January 2021 22:43:09

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Was the Dec 10 fall not comparable? 

December 2010 was good I think but I was up in Edinburgh at the time and it was genuinely historic up there with 50cm of snow.

In terms of Manchester I think west Manchester did better than east that time around. 

Joe Bloggs
24 January 2021 09:19:06

Has Moomin had snow this morning?

doctormog
24 January 2021 09:21:52

Another nice dry sunny and frosty day here but the forecast is for some rain showers overnight tonight. Should be nice tomorrow morning. Then dry and cool until Thursday when more rain moves in.

marting
24 January 2021 09:33:13

Radar has had snow over us for 30 mins and nothing! So frustrating 

Martin

Martin
Greasby, Wirral.
Martybhoy
24 January 2021 09:52:42
Another glorious winter’s morning.

IMAGE. Members enable at bottom of page

200m above sea level
Rural East Ayrshire
Near to the village of Sorn
fairweather
24 January 2021 11:44:05

Has this been renamed the "Winter gloating" thread 

Good to see snow about but now looking like same old in S.Essex and no doubt E.Kent. As the front has stalled and pivoted it is drawing in milder southerlies and weaker precipitation. If we get anything I'm expecting drizzly sleety stuff. Still it did get to within ten miles of me before ir stalled !! 

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Chichesterweatherfan2
24 January 2021 11:46:21
Just to console you FW, diddly squat here apart from cold rain!
Ally Pally Snowman
24 January 2021 11:47:26

Band breaking before it gets here yell

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
doctormog
24 January 2021 11:57:01

Typical. The snow band passed just to our south.

By about 300 miles. 

The rain will not offer us such a courtesy later.

fairweather
24 January 2021 12:03:43

Originally Posted by: Chichesterweatherfan2 

Just to console you FW, diddly squat here apart from cold rain!

Yes I saw that and thought you'd be pleased ! I now am right in the middle of moderate snow according to my paid for netweather radar - must be this new invisible Brexit benefit snow - invisible 

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Retron
24 January 2021 12:24:21

So, as once again the rain pours down at 4C, I think to myself - why do we go through this every year? Why all the excitement, anticipation, when we all know it's just going to be rain, or at the very most just a few bits of slush on the ground for a few minutes?

Simple - because we look at posts on here, the cameras on the motorways, see that snow not so far away and think "it could be me".

It's a bit like buying lottery tickets, then buying more to make up the losses.

TBH it was never looking good here so I wasn't getting too excited. It's the -10 line that does it for me and that's as rare as hen's teeth these days.

I just wish I'd appreciated those winters more in my childhood, little did I know they would almost entirely vanish once I became an adult!

My advice to those enjoying the snow today - make the most of it, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone!

Leysdown, north Kent
Heavy Weather 2013
24 January 2021 12:28:52
It was nice to see snow falling today, moderate to heavy at times. From an accumulation point of view it’s been pathetic.

I think my proximity to the Thames estuary hasn’t helped matters.
Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
fairweather
24 January 2021 12:30:19

Originally Posted by: Retron 

So, as once again the rain pours down at 4C, I think to myself - why do we go through this every year? Why all the excitement, anticipation, when we all know it's just going to be rain, or at the very most just a few bits of slush on the ground for a few minutes?

Simple - because we look at posts on here, the cameras on the motorways, see that snow not so far away and think "it could be me".

It's a bit like buying lottery tickets, then buying more to make up the losses.

TBH it was never looking good here so I wasn't getting too excited. It's the -10 line that does it for me and that's as rare as hen's teeth these days.

I just wish I'd appreciated those winters more in my childhood, little did I know they would almost entirely vanish once I became an adult!

My advice to those enjoying the snow today - make the most of it, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone!

Do you remember back in the day Darren, when we were on USW watching the N.Sea snow showers and the Thames Streamers !

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Retron
24 January 2021 12:33:35

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

Do you remember back in the day Darren, when we were on USW watching the N.Sea snow showers and the Thames Streamers !

I think I've just figured out who you are! Yes, back in the days when marginality didn't come into it - what I wouldn't give to experience that again.

(Yes, we had a taste of it in 2018, I know... but it was so brief. Hopefully it won't be another 18 years before we get to see powder again, I'd be an old man by then.)

Leysdown, north Kent
idj20
24 January 2021 13:53:18

Another "look what you could have won" type event for here at Folkestone too with spitty light rain blowing in a brisk southerly wind, but to be honest it was all completely expected and thus I don't feel that let down about it all (apart from being jealous of other people's snowy photos, of course).
 It also means that my reputation in my own Facebook weather group remains intact, it could have been a forecasting fail on my part if we actually ended up with heavy settling snow after all. 

Folkestone Harbour. 
Whether Idle
24 January 2021 15:45:22

Originally Posted by: Retron 

Yes, Kent is proving to be something of a canary in a coalmine with regards to winter snow due to our peninsular location.  All the old snow makers are now all but redundant and Im reduced to driving to the nearest hilltop to gain half a cm of slush underfoot.

People must enjoy their snow while they can, as its clear the way things are headed countrywide...

WI

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
tallyho_83
24 January 2021 16:01:37

My moan is that the heavier wintry' showers are to our south and we just missed a heavier more widespread band of precipitation to our north leaving Exeter with spits of light rain:

No description available.

Meanwhile up on Dartmoor:

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
24 January 2021 16:02:50

I realise that Chichester has a 200-year-old reputation to keep up for lack of snow (see signature text) but it is infuriating to miss out on heavy snow by 30 miles  - cars were getting stuck on quite significant roads around Guildford, for instance) - and realise that the net result will be that the trolls in the north will go on about their plentiful amounts while assuming that the south coast has had the same

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl