tallyho_83
26 November 2020 01:03:39

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-bitter-chill-hits-23052147

If its from a tabloid, theres a very high chance of context issues and misquotes

Still - seems a fairly strong claim

Is this a prediction then or if not based on what!? Models?

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

roadrunnerajn
26 November 2020 06:42:42

A newspaper on weather steroids... I see it says England could drop to 4c? and Edinburgh to 0c it does not say if this is during the day or night.

Sounds pretty average to me.

Germoe, part of the breakaway Celtic Republic.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
26 November 2020 07:09:01

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I know it's comparing freshwater to seawater, but this pic is of Derwentwater in Jan 2010:

There was ice covering most of Bosham Creek in Chichester Harbour in 2001 (or was it 2000?) but scarcely thick enough for a duck to walk on.

Slightly off-topic but told to me by a colleague when I worked in Manchester: his father lived in Keswick and in the 1930s Derwentwater had been frozen for several weeks, so his father went out for a regular evening skate after supper. As the freeze went on, the level of the water had dropped and there was a gap between the water and the ice sheet on top, with the sheet being supported by pillars of ice. That evening his father went out as usual, with s southerly wind getting up, and there was suddenly a cracking and groaning sound. He got off the ice quickly, and fortunately so - the wind ha got into the space under the ice and within half an hour the ice covering the whole lake had broken up into smallish floating patches of ice, not big enough to support a man.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
26 November 2020 10:37:28
My gut instinct is that South East Europe could once again be the sweet spot for cold spells this winter. It wouldn't surprise me if mainland Greece saw more snow than much of the UK. Book your skiing trip to Mount Parnassos now!

Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
tallyho_83
26 November 2020 12:45:55

Originally Posted by: GezM 

My gut instinct is that South East Europe could once again be the sweet spot for cold spells this winter. It wouldn't surprise me if mainland Greece saw more snow than much of the UK. Book your skiing trip to Mount Parnassos now!

What makes you think that? 🤔

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
27 November 2020 10:21:19

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

What makes you think that? 🤔

I think that occasional blocking highs over Scandinavia, alongside mid-Atlantic high pressure systems, will drive low pressure systems south/south east into the Mediterranean region. Sometimes they might head straight for the Balkan regions, on other occasions they will take an easterly track through the Med from Spain to Turkey. For any of these situations, cold continental air is likely to be drawn down on their western flanks from the north east across Greece, Turkey and the Balkan states.

I'm sure between these there will be still be plenty of mild spells but it wouldn't surprise me if they see quite frequent snow events in that region. At least in the first part of the winter. 

Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)
picturesareme
27 November 2020 16:56:10
Winter has definitely arrived down here over tje past few day's with temperatures in single figures, and the next 7 days look to continue the trend with just one exception - the weekend has double digit highs.