johncs2016
13 September 2020 07:07:26

Originally Posted by: Col 

As this is the autumn moaning thread I was wondering what weather people want/expect in autumn, and what they are going to moan about.
For the other 3 seasons the general consensus is pretty obvious as to what is considered 'good' weather.

Spring - warm & sunny
Summer - hot & sunny with thunderstorms
Winter - cold & snowy

However for autumn it seems less clear. Some people obviously don't want summer-style heatwaves for example.

For me it would be pleasant dry & sunny days, with gentle breezes taking the leaves off the trees and with a touch of frost by night. However by October a good gale wouldn't go amiss.

Most people on this forum know that I just like the seasons to be as they are meant to be and for me, this means the following weather:

Spring

Temperatures recovering after a cold winter, so the ideal weather would be for it to be warm and sunny but not so warm that it ends up being too summer-like early on. This means that for me, the temperature should be around 15°C at that time.

Summer

Hot and Sunny with temperatures reaching the upper 20s°C here in Edinburgh, with that occasionally breaking down into some decent thunderstorms.

Autumn/(known on the other side of the Pond as the Fall)

Cooling down after a hot summer with plenty of Atlantic storms, and lots of wind and rain. However, I would also want to see some nice anti-cyclonic conditions at times which produce some rather cool days and cold nights with our first official air frosts of the season appearing in October:

Winter

Cold and snowy with a lot of clear frosty nights, and a notable white Christmas which has plenty of snow lying on the ground. Temperatures would be struggling to get above freezing during the day with plenty of ice days, and would drop well into minus double digits at night.

Conclusion

Sadly though, our weather will always behave in the way that it wants to which means that all too often, it won't even care about what season we are supposed to be in, according to our own calendar.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
14 September 2020 05:15:41

What was that about not having to water the garden any more thus year?

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
ARTzeman
14 September 2020 10:05:14

I would like to have some wet days to try out my new wellingtons.....

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Crepuscular Ray
14 September 2020 10:07:10
I'd just like to witness a sunny day from dawn till dusk!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Saint Snow
14 September 2020 10:12:19

Originally Posted by: Col 

As this is the autumn moaning thread I was wondering what weather people want/expect in autumn, and what they are going to moan about.
For the other 3 seasons the general consensus is pretty obvious as to what is considered 'good' weather.

Spring - warm & sunny
Summer - hot & sunny with thunderstorms
Winter - cold & snowy

However for autumn it seems less clear. Some people obviously don't want summer-style heatwaves for example.

For me it would be pleasant dry & sunny days, with gentle breezes taking the leaves off the trees and with a touch of frost by night. However by October a good gale wouldn't go amiss.

I'm not too bothered about what happens in spring (well, Mar/Apr I'm not; I like May to be like summer).

I love autumn, possibly my favourite season. If I were to compose my ideal autumn, it'd be a mix of everything:

September - starting warm & sunny, but cooling down as the month progresses with some overnight ground frosts and plenty of mists, but staying very settled

October - a couple of stormy spells early in the month to get the leaves off the trees, then quieting down for the end of the month with a high right over the UK giving cold nights and mists - especially good for Halloween

November - starting as October finishes - at least until bonfire night, as I love the smog from bonfires (although, sadly, these are an endangered species these days) but again reverting to a storm or two mid-month. Then ending exactly like Nov 2010, but gearing up for an even longer cold spell taking us into the new year.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Saint Snow
14 September 2020 10:13:21

Originally Posted by: ARTzeman 

I would like to have some wet days to try out my new wellingtons.....

I'm sure it won't be too long before you get your wish!

Martin
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
xioni2
14 September 2020 11:19:09

Absolutely glorious weather, the period March-September has been 9.5/10 for me.

johncs2016
14 September 2020 13:27:18

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

I'd just like to witness a sunny day from dawn till dusk!

We had plenty of sunny days back in April/May of course, but have had hardly any since then.

Given that we are no longer in summer, I was very much hoping that it would become sunnier as a result. However, we are almost halfway through the month, but a total of just 41.6 hours of sunshine have been recorded during this month so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 2pm this afternoon which amounts to just under a third of the 1981-2010 September average for that particular station.

What is clear from this is that unless there is a significant improvement in our sunshine totals over the second half of this month, this month is going to go down as being substantially duller yet again for the fourth month in a row.

Furthermore, we are less than two weeks away from the Autumn Equinox now, and at the time of year when the maximum possible amount of sunshine on any given day is dwindling at its fastest rate within the entire year. This means that if the autumn is to be sunnier than average overall, this very month when we have our highest amount of available sunshine, is when we really need to be getting that sunshine.

Because of that, our chances of this autumn being sunnier than average overall, are already looking very slim as a result.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
idj20
14 September 2020 15:36:40

As I sit outside on my famed garden chair soaking up the warm sunshine, it would be nice if we get to completely bypass Autumn and Winter and go straight onto Spring- especially as I have given up all hopes of ever seeing a proper snow event complete with actual snow cover, but that might be wishful thinking on my part. Still going to be predominantly dry here at Kent over the next seven days (and possibly beyond) even when we do lose this heat and that is bad news for my already struggling patchy-looking lawn complete with holes dug up by bloody foxes.

Folkestone Harbour. 
tallyho_83
14 September 2020 16:12:35

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

We had plenty of sunny days back in April/May of course, but have had hardly any since then.

Given that we are no longer in summer, I was very much hoping that it would become sunnier as a result. However, we are almost halfway through the month, but a total of just 41.6 hours of sunshine have been recorded during this month so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 2pm this afternoon which amounts to just under a third of the 1981-2010 September average for that particular station.

What is clear from this is that unless there is a significant improvement in our sunshine totals over the second half of this month, this month is going to go down as being substantially duller yet again for the fourth month in a row.

Furthermore, we are less than two weeks away from the Autumn Equinox now, and at the time of year when the maximum possible amount of sunshine on any given day is dwindling at its fastest rate within the entire year. This means that if the autumn is to be sunnier than average overall, this very month when we have our highest amount of available sunshine, is when we really need to be getting that sunshine.

Because of that, our chances of this autumn being sunnier than average overall, are already looking very slim as a result.

Typical to get more sun in Spring months!

Weather is beautiful today but it's September! 26'c is a hot July day! I remember in 80's and 90's when a 25'c was was forecast by John Ketley and Michael Fish - and they considered that as hot for a July day in the south-east! Really hope things cool down - preparing for another mild night but least it's not as hot and humid as early August!

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
14 September 2020 20:33:51

Originally Posted by: DEW 

What was that about not having to water the garden any more thus year?

I was out there this evening with the hose on for 20 minutes giving the gooseberry bushes a thorough drenching as the leaves were starting to go yellow in places.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
tallyho_83
14 September 2020 22:45:16
23:45 and it's still 18.0c outside - this is unseasonal beyond belief! 18c should be an average daytime max for September not night time min. Horrible start to an autumn month. Tomorrow it's expecting to reach 29c in parts of the SE and 26c to 28c quite widely along the south. Just remarkable. Really.
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

richardabdn
15 September 2020 15:23:47

61 hours sun back home for the 12 days I was away which sure as hell was more than I saw down south 

No sun recording stations in the Cotswolds that I can see but the nearby Brize Norton had recorded a dismal 41 hours for the entire month up to the 12th which was my last full day there 

Wasn't even any warmer. Reached 22C last Tuesday and was about the same there. However it was also reached on Wednesday here whereas I was subjected to grey skies and drizzle until 2pm and even when the sun came out it was perhaps only 19/20C.

Didn't pick up until the weekend. Sunday was the best day and I had to endure a hellish journey from Warwick to Durham in a boiling car travelling along an ugly motorway flanked by bland scenery and dismal depressing towns with nowhere worth stopping until Wetherby in Yorkshire. Utterly infuriating waste of good weather 

Yesterday I had more time to enjoy the fine weather spending the morning in Durham then a stop at Warkworth on the Northumberland Coast. Sunny there but only around 20C. This will be only the 2nd year since 1988 that I haven't experienced a temperature of 26C+. Other was 2000 with a dire cool summer here and a horrific summer holiday in the Netherlands.

Today I had to cancel a planned walk along the River Almond in Edinburgh due to dire wet weather and just headed up the road. Saw very little sun on the way and was drizzling when I got back but the sun has just popped out now.

The last two nights have recorded minima of 14.0C and 13.6C which is just horrendous for mid-September especially when there isn't any decent daytime warmth. I sense yet another poor autumn for tree colour with these sorts of awful minima 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
Bolty
16 September 2020 15:21:11

Going by the models, it looks like we're going back into a more prolonged dry spell again. It really is strange how we seem to be going from drought, to deluge and back to drought again, with very little in between.

Just this year for instance:

February-mid March: extremely wet
Mid-March-late May: very dry
June-August: wet
September-: back to dry

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
KevBrads1
18 September 2020 04:53:15
Weird how the clouds just vanish at around 1.12 into video

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
tallyho_83
19 September 2020 20:59:39

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

Weird how the clouds just vanish at around 1.12 into video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXTAMOGAYb4

That's not a moan? Nice time-lapse.

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

tallyho_83
19 September 2020 21:00:40
It's 2200 and temperature outside is still 20.0c here in Exeter. - Very unseasonal as it has been for weeks here in the south esp the south west.
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

xioni2
22 September 2020 06:26:37

I am sure we'll get some more nice days in October, but today does feel like the last day of the extended summer we had down here since mid-March. It's been a great 6-month summer!

springsunshine
22 September 2020 14:28:43

Originally Posted by: xioni2 

I am sure we'll get some more nice days in October, but today does feel like the last day of the extended summer we had down here since mid-March. It's been a great 6-month summer!

Same imby a very long summer indeed and yesterday here was the last day of summer thank god! Most of it has been far too hot and uncomfortable. I don`t like temperatures more than 20c It would be nice to get a genuinly cold summer one year where the CET is sub 15c in all the summer months.

The change is happening today before autumn finally sweeps in tomorrow  Roll on winter!

Saint Snow
22 September 2020 14:49:30

Originally Posted by: springsunshine 

Same imby a very long summer indeed and yesterday here was the last day of summer thank god! Most of it has been far too hot and uncomfortable. I don`t like temperatures more than 20c It would be nice to get a genuinly cold summer one year where the CET is sub 15c in all the summer months.

The change is happening today before autumn finally sweeps in tomorrow  Roll on winter!

Move to Aberdeen; you'll love it, apparently

Martin
Aneurin Bevan