johncs2016
01 September 2020 10:36:12

Now that we're into the start of the meteorological autumn, I thought it would be a good time to start this thread, especially as we have already had a lot of autumn weather during that latter part of what was supposed to be "summer".

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
CField
02 September 2020 05:21:44

Patterns very similar to last year ,and I'm worried about that high over Russia ,if that hangs around and slips into Romania and moves SW we could have one of those horrible euro slugs to start winter with....

Favourite snowstorm
Famous channel low
Dec 31st 1978
Hastings East Sussex
Foot of level snow severe drifting
Next day max temp -4 degrees Celsius
johncs2016
02 September 2020 07:19:27

Another day, and yet another cloudy and fairly overcast one here in Edinburgh. When is ithat ever going to come to an end?

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
nsrobins
02 September 2020 08:43:25

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

When is ithat ever going to come to an end?

Revalation 19:14

Failing that, you could accept that its just the weather.

(other predictions of the apocalypse are available)

Neil
Fareham, Hampshire 28m ASL (near estuary)
Stormchaser, Member TORRO
johncs2016
02 September 2020 10:33:30

Originally Posted by: nsrobins 

Revalation 19:14

Failing that, you could accept that its just the weather.

(other predictions of the apocalypse are available)

Yes, it is true that we can't change the weather.

However, this doesn't mean that we cant still moan about it anyway, which is what this thread allows us to do.

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
02 September 2020 14:23:32

Well, I'm going to gloat.  (It was allowed in the Summer thread...)

The current weather is absolutely lovely.  Warm but not too hot, thin cloud to cut out the blazing sun with a few gaps to give a bit of heat, light winds to freshen the air, and not too humid.  Autumn is always my favourite time of year anyway.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
richardabdn
02 September 2020 18:00:11

New month same old crap. Dire cloudy windy day with a worthless 0.4 mm of drizzly rain. Afternoon temperatures as low as 13C yet again and the wind has got worse as the day wore on. Evening the worst part of the day yet again. It's just horrific out there. Couldn't even contemplate doing anything outside so that's yet another write-off day stuck indoors the entire time 

Hasn't reached 17C, which is the average for late August/early September, for 11 days and the past 3 weeks have clocked up a wrist-slittingly awful 59 hours of sun with 11 days recording under an hour. Same period of 2008, which had the dullest August/September combination since 1912 clocked up 67 hours 

This is just INTOLERABLE. The weather shouldn't even be this bad in October. It's just grim, depressing and unpleasant in the extreme. Hell on earth  

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
KevBrads1
04 September 2020 06:47:20
Lovely sunrise this morning, these clouds produce the best sunrises/sunsets

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
tallyho_83
05 September 2020 00:18:59

Our weather is so boring! Night before last it was 19c by day and 18c by night! It was just so grey and drizzly today and day before!
I was looking at the weather in Devon Colorado!

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Denver+CO?canonicalCityId=9298101d6fcde701a8dae5f27c875376e208cae14ce31a258c225f63573146be

Interesting how it can go from one extreme to another - i remember extremes in Calgary, Canada but this extreme tops it!

Going from +35c Monday 7th Sept to a high of -2c on Tuesday 8th Sept with snow. - How the do people cope with this sudden change? The must go to bed feeling hot and bothered using the air con or having all the windows open and then must have to set their alarms to wake up half way through the night to turn heating on and turn off the air con and close all windows!? Only to find out they wake up to snow on the ground the following morning!? hmm! How erratic. Result of being 1 mile high I guess?

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
05 September 2020 05:58:03

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Our weather is so boring! Night before last it was 19c by day and 18c by night! It was just so grey and drizzly today and day before!
I was looking at the weather in Devon Colorado!

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Denver+CO?canonicalCityId=9298101d6fcde701a8dae5f27c875376e208cae14ce31a258c225f63573146be

Interesting how it can go from one extreme to another - i remember extremes in Calgary, Canada but this extreme tops it!

Going from +35c Monday 7th Sept to a high of -2c on Tuesday 8th Sept with snow. - How the do people cope with this sudden change? The must go to bed feeling hot and bothered using the air con or having all the windows open and then must have to set their alarms to wake up half way through the night to turn heating on and turn off the air con and close all windows!? Only to find out they wake up to snow on the ground the following morning!? hmm! How erratic. Result of being 1 mile high I guess?

Incredible. That would represent an impressive yearly variation for a location in this country.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
tallyho_83
05 September 2020 09:58:12

Originally Posted by: Col 

Incredible. That would represent an impressive yearly variation for a location in this country.

Exactly - people Denver must go to bed hot, bothered with windows open and air con on full and only to wake up to turn all air con off and close windows and find out there is snow falling and settling several inches! To go from an almost record breaking warmth of +35c by day to -2c with snow the following day in Denver is highly unusual. Be funny if the snow settled that day. Imagine London going from 37.8c like we had on 31st July and then waking up to -2c with snow falling and road closures the next morning!!? WHat would British people say, think and feel?

I was thinking also for Denver that there will be a record daytime high for September and falling to a record low daytime max in less than a day!!

Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Bolty
06 September 2020 18:33:38
An indifferent start to autumn. Some rain and some spells of sunshine, though it has been very much on the cloudy side. It pretty much continues with the theme of the weather from most of the summer.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
johncs2016
08 September 2020 19:14:34

I'm not sure what others think but at the moment, this month is turning out to be increasingly more like summer here in Edinburgh than what the actual summer itself was in this part of the world which of course, is just typical for this part of the world.

That was shown today by the fact that the maximum temperature at Edinburgh Gogarbank reached 21.7°C which makes today, our warmest day of this so-called "autumn" so far.

That has also come with a total of 5.3 hours of sunshine at Edinburgh Gogarbank and although this still not exactly been a spectacularly sunny month here up until now, we are doing a bit better on the sunshine front during this month (although that wouldn't exactly have been difficult, given just how dismal the summer actually was).

tallyho_83
08 September 2020 19:17:48
Very unseasonal! It's 26.0c - how did I know the temperature would rise and the weather would dry up as children go back to school!? Not affecting me of course but has anyone notice early - mid September there is always a push of warm air as students/pupils go back to school!?

Also some very muggy nights as well. Not fun! Could do with some colder nights it's 20:15 and still 20.0c outside.
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

johncs2016
08 September 2020 22:24:09
Even here in Edinburgh, the temperature at 11pm tonight was still up at 19°C which is ridiculously warm for what is supposed to be a September night at the start of autumn.

However, a cold front is now moving through from the NW which is already bringing us some rain, and that should bring quite a decent drop in the temperatures before too long.

Crepuscular Ray
10 September 2020 07:57:55
So, after experiencing a cool, dull, wet summer in Edinburgh, I've spent the first bit of September in the Yorkshire Dales. Guess what? Cool, dull and drizzly (a little sun yesterday). No summer weather for me this year, even the promised September warm spell seems to be waning. Worst thing is I'm normally in Portugal now for my summery weather....

At least me and my family are well so it's a superficial moan!
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Heavy Weather 2013
10 September 2020 20:13:57
Can autumn actually arrive already. This heatwave next week is very annoying.
Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
11 September 2020 03:07:59

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

Can autumn actually arrive already. This heatwave next week is very annoying.

Only a southerner could moan about that!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
severnside
11 September 2020 18:40:24

A South Easterner I would like 10 months of Summer and 2 months winter, that would do nice. I would never make that statement with the summers we have.

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
13 September 2020 05:44:04
As this is the autumn moaning thread I was wondering what weather people want/expect in autumn, and what they are going to moan about.
For the other 3 seasons the general consensus is pretty obvious as to what is considered 'good' weather.

Spring - warm & sunny
Summer - hot & sunny with thunderstorms
Winter - cold & snowy

However for autumn it seems less clear. Some people obviously don't want summer-style heatwaves for example.

For me it would be pleasant dry & sunny days, with gentle breezes taking the leaves off the trees and with a touch of frost by night. However by October a good gale wouldn't go amiss.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos: