Heavy Weather 2013
08 November 2020 16:21:44
I’m sorry. While the weather is useful, disgusting levels of warmth today.
Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
richardabdn
11 November 2020 13:32:29

The garbage should be known as Trump weather. Despicable, disgraceful, serves no useful purpose, like nothing that went before it and just won't give up.

More of the 21st Century specialty of vile humid muck pumped up from the tropics on a repugnant SE flow. Endless featureless murky grey skies since Sunday mixed with mist, drizzle and wind but no proper rain. Temperature barely moved from 10C the whole time day or night. What you would expect on a rock off the Cornish coast

Utterly LUDICROUS and another nail in the coffin of 2020, one of the worst years ever for weather 

We saw colder weather in June with one day down at 6.4C around 5pm. Nothing remotely as cold as that during afternoon in this autumn so far and it's nearly mid-November. It's like living in a cold equatorial climate. Basically just a dry season and a wet season with barely any difference in temperature year round 

Most of the trees are bare now, which is much earlier than recent years but historically about normal, so all we have to look forward to for the next four months is living in a dead, depressing landscape with dead, depressing weather. Would love to be a hedgehog and just hibernate until March missing out the most worthless and unfulfilling season of the year

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
johncs2016
11 November 2020 21:04:44

Today has now been our fifth consecutive completely sunless day at Edinburgh Gogarbank and yet, our rainfall totals for this month are way below where they should be at this stage of this month. Despite there being a lot of rain nearby once again, the rain is once again refusing to fall here where the last few days have been virtually bone dry yet again. Since we didn't get as much rain during October as what large parts of the rest of the UK got, this now means that this entire autumn is also likely to go down as a substantially drier than average season.

Yet it will also go down as a substantially duller than average overall. At the same time, we still even get close to getting a frost. Our last official air frost was on 27 September, but the botanic gardens in Edinburgh missed out on that altogether and so, we still haven't had a single air frost at that particular station during this autumn/winter season so far. To me, you can't really come up with a more boring season than that which means that when I come to reporting the final statistics for this autumn on this forum, I am going to find it a real; struggle to find anything interesting to report in that whatsoever.

That sums up just how boring our weather in this part of the world has become these days and yet as I have said many times, it never used to be like that before because we used to always be ab;e rely on our weather being changeable and unpredictable from one day to the next. Sadly though, that no longer appears to be the case any more.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
idj20
11 November 2020 22:21:25

Since there is a squall line moving westwards over the UK right now but it's not expected to arrive here at South Kent until after midnight, until then there is a strong southerly wind blowing through.

What IS it with southerly gales and squall lines occurring at night time here at Kent? As that's when it seems more unsettling in the dark thus making for another sleepless night.

Already bored of this Autumn and still got at least four months of this crap to come. 

Folkestone Harbour. 
Tim A
19 November 2020 09:29:15
Annoying that tonight we won't even get an air frost before the milder air moves in .
Lowest temp this autumn 3.6c and no frost so far. Far too many flowers in the garden still.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Saint Snow
19 November 2020 09:37:03

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

Annoying that tonight we won't even get an air frost before the milder air moves in .
Lowest temp this autumn 3.6c and no frost so far. Far too many flowers in the garden still.

Yeah, the 'colder snap' has really been squeezed.

It's been a weird autumn. Covid and [personally] being preoccupied with some house jobs has had me barely taking much notice of the weather apart from for a few key 'event' days, which have largely seen the weather play ball.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
johncs2016
19 November 2020 23:59:06

Well, would you just believe it?

At 9pm tonight, the temperature at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh had got down to exactly 0.0°C with the temperature at Edinburgh Airport also getting down to 0°C at that time. That isn't quite enough to give us an official air frost because (as far as I know at least), the temperature actually has to be below freezing for an air frost to officially be recorded which means that a temperature of exactly bang on 0.0°C isn't quite enough for that to happen.

However, we would have had an official air frost at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh if the temperature had dropped any lower there, and that could yet be confirmed as actually happening once the 6Z SYNAP data for that particular station comes through tomorrow morning, as the actual minimum temperature is usually a bit lower than the lowest hourly reading.

Since that was the only one of my three local stations to have missed out on the very early air frost which we had back in September, this would have been the first official air frost of this autumn at that particular station and even as it is, tonight will go down as being the coldest night of this autumn so far at that particular station, regardless of what happens from now on.

Yet just as it was looking so good for us to finally get that long awaited official air frost, it then started to clouded over. The result of this is that the temperatures have now jumped back up to around 3°C as at 11pm tonight and are still going up.

I knew that this was going to happen, and it looks as though my prediction of yet another frost-free horror show by tomorrow morning is about to come true after all. This is just typical of what this autumn has been like and normally, I would be glad to see the back of a season like like except that our most recent winters have tended to bring more of the same in that regard, and that is something which I certainly not looking forward to.

The only thing which I can therefore say that, is Roll On next spring and the actual proper "winter" weather will no doubt, finally arrive with that.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Jiries
20 November 2020 20:31:32

Originally Posted by: idj20 

Since there is a squall line moving westwards over the UK right now but it's not expected to arrive here at South Kent until after midnight, until then there is a strong southerly wind blowing through.

What IS it with southerly gales and squall lines occurring at night time here at Kent? As that's when it seems more unsettling in the dark thus making for another sleepless night.

Already bored of this Autumn and still got at least four months of this crap to come. 

It been quite Autumn since June to now bar few hot cloudy days but those temperatures we having now are not far off from the summer values by just tad few degrees less compare to Cyprus record 40-46C summer temps to now low 20's so that around 20C ranged difference from summer to November current temps.   Very boring every day here and really not a place to invest a weather station which last used on 31st Dec 2012 when WS2500 station last switched off and took it to recycling dump.  No regret afterward and just use max and min thermometer when there a heatwave days, longest was 2 months full recording in June/July 2018 and first week of August before summer was lost.

Bolty
24 November 2020 22:08:50
A very dreary and uninspiring forecast here for the rest of this week, with cloud pretty much non-stop and days in the 6-9°C range, and nights in the 1-4°C range. Typical winter anticyclonic gloom.

Still at least it's looking mostly dry, that's the main thing IMO.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Saint Snow
25 November 2020 12:41:52

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

A very dreary and uninspiring forecast here for the rest of this week, with cloud pretty much non-stop and days in the 6-9°C range, and nights in the 1-4°C range. Typical winter anticyclonic gloom.

Still at least it's looking mostly dry, that's the main thing IMO.

I actually like anticyclonic gloom in mid-winter, where it never really gets fully light. Very atmospheric, especially when it comes hand in had with some mist/fog and cooler temps.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
johncs2016
26 November 2020 08:02:07

Last night, Gavin P. kept going on in his live stream on YouTube about how much more "seasonal" the weather was becoming in terms of how much colder it was becoming in his neck of the woods, and tried to dress that up as though this was the case throughout the UK.

Perhaps he has tinted glasses there because if we had looked at the various charts which has used before to show us the latest temperatures across the UK, he would have seen that this was not actually the the case at that time.

Here in Edinburgh for example, the temperature during the time of his live stream was no lower than around 7°C and during the rest of the night here since then, the temperature has dropped to no lower than around 4°C here with some cloud around at times.

Once again, this has been yet another occasion during this autumn where we just CANNOT get anywhere near to getting a frost regardless of what the current synoptic situation is actually like.

Yet, I have no doubt that other parts of the UK will be getting their frost, especially down south. For that reason, I don't think that there is any point in me even looking at the latest CC threads just now, as I already know that this is bound to be full of southerners gloating about how cold and frosty it is in their neck of the woods.

People in the south of the UK often go on about the lack of snow in their area and at certain times of the year, a lack of rainfall. Yet, there has been many times in recent years when they have actually had more snow than what we have had here in Edinburgh. As fat as rainfall is concerned, they have actually been getting more rain in recent months than what we have been getting here in Edinburgh.

Finally, the south of England will get the hotter weather during the summer which are entitled to as a result of them being further south and closer to the Equator as a result. Surely then, that should also result in the northern half of the UK being colder than the south at this time of the year for those very same reasons.

Yet the southerners are always happy to grab all of the cold weather which is going just now whilst we in the northern half of the UK miss out on all of that yet again.

That just isn't fair and now, I'm just sick to the back teeth of the southerners getting nearly all of the more "interesting" weather which is on offer whilst we in the northern half of the UK continue to miss out on all of that, especially here in Edinburgh (that most boring part of the UK when comes to any sort of "interesting" weather).

pdiddy
26 November 2020 11:54:56

That just isn't fair and now, I'm just sick to the back teeth of the southerners getting nearly all of the more "interesting" weather which is on offer whilst we in the northern half of the UK continue to miss out on all of that, especially here in Edinburgh (that most boring part of the UK when comes to any sort of "interesting" weather).

Not a fan of "IMBY-ism" but have to agree that Edinburgh weather has been really boring in recent times!

Frank H
28 November 2020 08:42:35

Finally recorded the first air frost of the season just after midnight -0.3c

Didn't last long as temps back above freezing by 1am

Wrightington, Wigan
Tim A
28 November 2020 09:38:31

Originally Posted by: Frank H 

Finally recorded the first air frost of the season just after midnight -0.3c

Didn't last long as temps back above freezing by 1am

Same here, first air frost of the season at -0.4c, turned cloudy in the early hours and now 3.0c with thick cloud. 

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Bolty
28 November 2020 17:42:29
Nasty day today... cold, wet and dark. It was very much one of those days where it never got properly light, so the lights have been on for most of today.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station