Retron
13 August 2020 15:02:15
Day 7082 of the heatwave...

27.9C outside (with the fan whirring away, so it really IS that warm) and the sun's beating down.

The house has been shut up all day, with the curtains drawn.

From very warm to hottest...

Dining room, 27, kitchen, 28, games room / shed 28.9, my bedroom, 29.9, back bedroom 32.2.

The a/c's on now, of course, but it's going to struggle to cool things down upstairs!
Leysdown, north Kent
Jiries
13 August 2020 20:00:57

Lovely warm 27.3C in bedroom 2 and my bedroom 27.1C and 26C downstairs.  I kept the windows solid shut today to keep warm inside after unexpected cold day outside.  Was 31C in the bedroom last night so I used the fan while i sleep, the fan which had been sitting on idle since last year only used it 2 times in end of June and July and this week. Tomrorow probably no more as the house temps will drop slowly. I do not open the windows when it cold outside or below 22C which is the threshold.  I open to bring the warm air in and trap them shut after 7pm.

Anyone notice when you go upstairs you can feel the heat half way?  Seem the hot air are lighter and stay upstairs while cooler are heavier stay downstairs.

doctormog
13 August 2020 20:08:27
Still too warm inside here at 21.9°C but hopefully it will cool down a bit more if it is cloudy again tomorrow.
RobN
  • RobN
  • Advanced Member
13 August 2020 20:28:28

All the house windows were left wide open today - which was mercifully a completely cloudy day with little rain - in order to encourage a through draught.

The house is now just about cooling down to an acceptable temperature downstairs, but upstairs it's still too warm for comfort. 

Rob
In the flatlands of South Cambridgeshire 15m ASL.
ARTzeman
13 August 2020 21:55:20

Another night of daytime temperature of 24.0c.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
ARTzeman
14 August 2020 09:54:27

Lower Today  23.4c.

Others just get wet.
xioni2
14 August 2020 10:07:24

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

Still too warm inside here at 21.9°C

We'd put the heating on here at those temps

Retron
14 August 2020 10:36:18

It's been cloudy all day here and I've had the a/c on nonstop - in an attempt to shift that warm, sticky air. (There's no wind again, of course, so opening the windows, aside from the one the hose vents through, wouldn't do much).

As a result, with some judicious use of a fan to blow the cooler air around...

Dining room: 25C, kitchen 24, my bedroom 22.1, back bedroom 22.3, shed 22.1.

Much better!

Leysdown, north Kent
xioni2
14 August 2020 10:42:11

My bedroom peaked at 26.5C on Wed, which was a bit uncomfortable but no big deal. I find taking a cool shower before going to bed quite helpful and also adapting the diet.

I usually dislike extreme heat with humidity (2018 was perfect instead), but working from home has made such a difference. 

ARTzeman
15 August 2020 11:35:56

22.5c in the lounge with the back door closed

Others just get wet.
ARTzeman
16 August 2020 09:05:46

22.5c Lounge this morning.

Others just get wet.
Hungry Tiger
16 August 2020 09:59:09

After a dreadful fortnight with the upstairs either 30C or over that - It's now down to 26C upstairs and 24C downstairs.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

idj20
16 August 2020 10:22:57

It has just fallen below the 30 c mark in my famed west-facing hobby room for the first time in over a week, but am convinced that I am going through the manopause as I'm still sweating in just my shorts with a fan whirring away between my legs.

Naaa, it's where all the time the shade temperature and dewpoint are still close together (22c/20c) via 90% humidity with virtually no wind and the sun still being out this morning.

Folkestone Harbour. 
doctormog
16 August 2020 10:32:09

Originally Posted by: xioni2 

We'd put the heating on here at those temps

To be fair I like it around 19-20°C inside in the summer and perhaps 17-18°C in winter. One winter after a few days away we came back and it was 4°C. That felt a bit chilly for me.

It is 19.3°C inside at the moment. Perfect and comfortable enough to be wearing shorts. It’s the kind of temperature I just don’t even notice, neither warm nor cold.

It does get very warm, especially upstairs at times, in the summer (25-30°C), but thankfully this is rare and if there is any wind (which there often is) it will cool down to something much better pretty quickly when the windows are opened. 

Phil G
16 August 2020 10:35:30
26c in here, but still feels humid and sweaty. A nice breeze would make things more comfortable and appears we might at least get that next week.

This type of weather makes me appreciate the seasons in this country more, I couldn’t live somewhere abroad that has day to day of the last week all year round, though assume you just get used to it.
Tim A
28 August 2020 07:58:24
Heating may need to come on today, it is currently 17.4c inside. Disappointing that we can't have a month without it this year .
Last on around 9th July so a short window this year without it.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

ARTzeman
28 August 2020 11:14:18

Heating came on at 07;00 but I Soon altered the wall thermostat. Now 22.0c.

Others just get wet.
Hungry Tiger
28 August 2020 13:05:20

House nnice and comfortable now. 21C downstairs, 23 upstairs. Reckon these will take a drop this weekend.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

ARTzeman
28 August 2020 15:01:22

22c. All around my bungalow. May drop p 20c First thing tomorrow and Sunday. 

Others just get wet.
Jiries
28 August 2020 18:27:37

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

Heating may need to come on today, it is currently 17.4c inside. Disappointing that we can't have a month without it this year .
Last on around 9th July so a short window this year without it.

Had to put on this morning as it was cold 18.5C for August and yes not a single month without it this year as it been a cool summer overall.  Where there was a short live heatwave I opened the windows and bring the heat in then shut it in the evening and never open again this way to keep the house warmer longer time unlike in the past warmer summers I never do this as it always warm and average room temps was around 25-26C during summer months.