TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
06 August 2020 20:53:58

I have a feeling this could get interesting this week. My house has thick damp walls so tends to start cool and then warm up inexorably during long heatwaves.

Currently 23C in the basement kitchen, 24C on the hall floor, 24.5C on the first floor (no thermometer on the warmer but unused second floor).

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Phil G
06 August 2020 20:57:53
Could be a busy thread.
I remember in the 2003 heat my old fridge freezer warning light started flashing as it could not cope with the temperature. Meltdown, literally!
Heavy Weather 2013
06 August 2020 21:00:25
My indoor temperature is currently 28C.

I’m on the fourth floor in a new build with south facing windows. It’s going to be unbearable in the coming days.
Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
TimS
  • TimS
06 August 2020 21:02:31

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

I’m on the fourth floor in a new build with south facing windows. It’s going to be unbearable in the coming days.

Eww...

Big boom in air conditioning sales the weekend after next I reckon. 

doctormog
06 August 2020 21:12:25
A bit too warm here at 22°C inside currently, and that’s after having most windows open all day.
ARTzeman
06 August 2020 22:25:44
22•5°c. Humidity 73%Rh

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Retron
07 August 2020 03:38:37

It went down to 18C in my bedroom last night, which was actually a bit on the chilly side with the breeze. I then (in a dopey state) set what I thought was 20C, but ended up as 22C... not sure how that happened!

Anyway, the a/c is off now. It's 23C in my bedroom, 24.9C in the back bedroom (where the weather station console is) and 22C in the kitchen. Oh, and it's 20.9C in the posh shed. (I put my old digital thermometer in there - must be over 20 years old now, it's an ancient Oregon).

For completeness, it's 14.8C outside.

Tomorrow morning will be "interesting", as the Met Office are going for a low of 21C here tonight!

Leysdown, north Kent
Retron
07 August 2020 03:41:47

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

Your target to beat (not that you'd want to) is 37C  - which is my record...

I guess that's the downside with having tons of insulation as newbuilds do. My house with little insulation heats up and cools down quickly, so at least once this is over there'll be immediate relief. In a well-insulated place the heat'll linger for longer.

Leysdown, north Kent
ARTzeman
07 August 2020 08:35:13

Bungalow lounge 21.5c. Hallway 22.0c. Bedroom 22.0c.

Others just get wet.
Hungry Tiger
07 August 2020 09:06:41

My upstairs is 27C already - Heaven knows what it will get to this next 4 days.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Rob K
07 August 2020 11:15:24
My window faces west so it gets really hot in the afternoon. Only just gone noon and the temperature is starting to rocket already. Might have to take the laptop outside at this rate!
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Retron
07 August 2020 11:47:02

Early afternoon update:

Outside: 27.1C (sensor just about in shade still)
Kitchen: 26C
Back bedroom (currently with a/c in the hallway pointing into it): 22.4C
My bedroom (faces west, getting a bit of "backwash" from the back bedroom): 24.7C
Shed/games room: 24.1C (as the newest building on site, it's better insulated than the main house!)

All windows closed except the second back bedroom, as the hose goes out there. Curtains drawn - now to hunker down for the afternoon!

Leysdown, north Kent
ARTzeman
07 August 2020 14:05:38

Back door open. The kitchen window open. Vents on the Lounge window open. 

Still 23.0c inside.

Others just get wet.
Retron
07 August 2020 15:33:33

Pointless opening windows here as it'd just let the hot air in! It's around 33C out there, absolutely stifling.

Indoors the a/c is now pointing into my bedroom and I've sealed the doorway, so no way to tell how hot or cold it is in there.

The back bedroom, now no longer getting any a/c, is 29.8C (and rising), the kitchen is 28C and the shed/games room is 29.4C (and also rising).

Without a/c I'd really be struggling tonight.

I suspect there'll be a lot of sweaty bedsheets tomorrow morning, at least across the SE...

Leysdown, north Kent
xioni2
07 August 2020 15:51:30

Originally Posted by: Retron 

Pointless opening windows here as it'd just let the hot air in! It's around 33C out there, absolutely stifling.

You'll get your North Sea air con tomorrow Darren, I expect you to be dancing in the gusting breeze.

Retron
07 August 2020 17:24:59

Originally Posted by: xioni2 

You'll get your North Sea air con tomorrow Darren, I expect you to be dancing in the gusting breeze.

GFS reckons it'll be 33C with that onshore breeze tomorrow... I wouldn't be dancing if that's the case! Even the Met Office raw has 27C... it won't be a cool day. Sunday, on the other hand... GFS 31, MetO 24. The latter is more like it!

It's now close to an equilibrium here... 31.6C outside (and falling), 30.9C in the back bedroom (and rising slowly), 29 in the kitchen and 29.9C out in the shed. I can't see the thermometer in my bedroom (stupidly placed it in the corner nook) but a quick waving of my hand around felt like the mid 20s...

Leysdown, north Kent
TimS
  • TimS
07 August 2020 17:26:23
Just took a floor by floor reading and I’m pleased with how the house has performed today:

Basement kitchen: 23.3C
Hall floor: 24.5C
First floor: 25.0
Second floor no thermostat but probably a degree warmer

Trouble is it will creep up each day and there’s little possibility of cooling it down with open windows tonight. Will probably open the top floor windows at bedtime and hope the house works as a heat chimney, then open bedroom windows in early hours.
Retron
07 August 2020 17:28:36

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Just took a floor by floor reading and I’m pleased with how the house has performed today:

Basement kitchen: 23.3C
Hall floor: 24.5C
First floor: 25.0
Second floor no thermostat but probably a degree warmer

Trouble is it will creep up each day and there’s little possibility of cooling it down with open windows tonight. Will probably open the top floor windows at bedtime and hope the house works as a heat chimney, then open bedroom windows in early hours.

That's some impressive insulation there! As you say, the downside of that is though it protects you from a one-day wonder (like last Friday) it's a nightmare if it goes on for several days. I'd imagine you'll be hoping for a blow-through breeze developing.

Leysdown, north Kent
Bertwhistle
07 August 2020 17:32:07

I always find it interesting that people will open the windows when the house is too warm, regardless of the conditions dehors.

After a hot day, a 20 min night with a bit of a breeze is a great way to help the house freshen up for another day.

But when it's 26 in, and 30 out, with hot sun and beggar-all breeze, at 1pm, the windows (and curtains/ blinds on the sunny side) need to be closed.

I've even explained to a co-op staff member why keeping their door lodged open is a mistake, when they have a fresh 20C AC running through; but they don't get it. Reminds me of a joke about the chap who took a car door into the desert so if it got too hot, he could open the window.

Interim, it's 26 out and 27 in. Time to open the windows!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
TimS
  • TimS
07 August 2020 17:39:50

Originally Posted by: Retron 

That's some impressive insulation there! As you say, the downside of that is though it protects you from a one-day wonder (like last Friday) it's a nightmare if it goes on for several days. I'd imagine you'll be hoping for a blow-through breeze developing.

Not insulation. In fact we have very little. But a few things that keep us relatively cool:

• Kitchen is half below ground in classic London semi basement style. So it gets its temperature from surrounding earth

• Walls are quite thick and (probably) a bit damp

• We have no South facing windows. We face East (front) and West (garden). The south wall is next to the next terrace so always shaded

• Our east facing front is shaded by large trees on the Avenue. Just like a Provençal village square 

• We have classic Victorian high ceilings so the air can circulate

• the second floor closest to the attic and roof space is not used - just spare rooms and studio. So the real heat tends to gather up there and in the attic

• Roof surface area is pretty small compared with house volume, as it’s a tall thin townhouse

I hope that future architects take into account summer cooling in design. There’s plenty of architecture focusing on winter insulation but I’ve found most modern houses and flats get unbearably hot in summer, indeed the new builds near the river in my area are too hot even in spring and autumn because they all have huge solar gain windows and low ceilings.