picturesareme
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
01 July 2020 08:10:37
Saw that last night and it blew my mind. I hadn't ever clocked that lightning bolts could travel more than a couple of miles.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
johncs2016
01 July 2020 09:09:03
To put that into perspective, that is longer than the distance between where I am here in Edinburgh, and somewhere down in London. It's amazing to think that lightning bolts can get as long as that, especially as most thunderstorms here in the UK, tend to be very localised events.
The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
01 July 2020 09:43:13

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Saw that last night and it blew my mind. I hadn't ever clocked that lightning bolts could travel more than a couple of miles.

That's what I would have thought, if I had ever really considered the matter before now. However it looks like any individual 'strike' can be part of a very complex system, and what we might see from the ground could be just a very small proportion of that. Thinking about it, from watching the lightning radar strikes do often seem to ocurr in 'clusters' all at the same time over a certain area, though hardly an Edinburgh to London distance!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
wingman
01 July 2020 10:38:40
Interesting, so presumably the duration of the rumble of thunder you hear is related to the length of the lightening bolt? If so, then the sound following that one in Brazil would have lasted a relatively long time. Any clever folks out there care to work it out?
picturesareme
01 July 2020 16:08:44
Equally amazing was the longest duration for a lightning strike at some 16 seconds in Argentina.. jaw dropping 😯

I don't think the length would make a huge difference on the duration of the rumble as it's more the reverberation of the sound waves..

but that 16 second flash would have made some sound.
Hungry Tiger
02 July 2020 14:01:41

Amazing - I had no idea lightning could travel that far.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.