Crepuscular Ray
26 June 2020 16:30:59
Wish i was in Ilkley! Got my Edinburgh storm earlier though
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
snow 2004
26 June 2020 17:03:59
Really unlucky here today. We were the breeding ground for the storms to my North now You could see the showers clouds exploding into life overhead. All we had is a few large drops of rain. Ah well.

They seem to be moving at a fair rate of knots too!
Glossop Derbyshire, 200m asl
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
26 June 2020 17:18:27

Excellent thunderstorm roared through Sheffield earlier  I was in Dronfield with family at the time and it scraped by with loads of thunder heard, at one time constant, and just a few spots of rain. The eastern side of the city copped the core, with large hail reported and photographed as shown on this brilliant tweet...

TWEET. Members enable at bottom of page

Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
26 June 2020 17:42:33

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons 

Not a sausage here, Caz - yet. The wind had got up a bit so maybe something will come by. 

The radar shows a few signals near Lincoln. Promising clouds look a long way off. 

Roger

Originally Posted by: Andy J 

Heard distant thunder in your direction Caz, but looks like this first cluster of storms has missed us.  Just a few spots of rain here so far.  More storms brewing further south as I speak though.

Well it seems we got a lot of the shouting again, with plenty of thunder and just a few flashes, but no rain other than a few enormous spots that dried as they hit the ground.  It passed fairly quickly and we’re  back to sunshine again and a few fluffy clouds.  

We’re doing well this month but we generally do, with help from the Pennines.  Glad you got some in Sheffield too Steve!   

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
johncs2016
26 June 2020 18:00:10

Originally Posted by: Crepuscular Ray 

Wish i was in Ilkley! Got my Edinburgh storm earlier though

I think, that is probably about the only bit of weather which we have had over the last few months which has actually been even the least bit interesting.

It's just a shame that I didn't get to see any lightning from that, and that this storm wasn't close enough to here, to have brought us those torrential downpours which missed us to our east.

Had that happened, this might have made quite a big difference to our rainfall totals for this month. Indeed, it is thanks to a lot of nearby rainfall missing us at certain critical times that this month is still running a bit drier than average here in Edinburgh, otherwise this month could easily have ended up being quite a bit wetter than average here overall with those 1981-2010 June averages having already been exceeded by now (that already is the case now, as regards to the number of official rain days).

However, that would probably have been asking for too much here.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
johncs2016
26 June 2020 19:49:53
One real hotspot for thundery activity during today, appears to be the Scottish Borders and according to the latest rain radar maps, there is another batch of storms down there just now with some bright echoes and quite a few lightning strikes showing up. That appears to be taking a similar track to those earlier storms so that by the end of today, Jerry might have another big storm in the distance to look forward to.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Crepuscular Ray
26 June 2020 20:23:41
Just heard more thunder to the E and SE of Edinburgh. It's the same storm system that formed over Yorkshire this afternoon. It's just about reached here intact!
Jerry
Crepuscular Ray
26 June 2020 20:34:35
Frequent thunder now as big storm approaches Edinburgh from the south. 2nd today!
Jerry
johncs2016
26 June 2020 20:35:44

Most of that has just missed us to our east, but there is another cell to our south which is part of that cluster and it looks to be heading straight in this direction as I write.

It has also suddenly got very dark here.

johncs2016
26 June 2020 20:52:33
It looks as though this storm might have played a bit of havoc with my internet connection which was down for a while, although I am now happily back online.

It looks as from the rain rain radar map as though all of the thunder and lightning has now missed us to our east, but those bright echoes to my south are still heading in this direction with another shower of rain having just developed ahead of it.

Indeed, it is now raining here as I write, as a result of that and once that main cell reaches us, we should get quite a torrential downpour out of that.

Crepuscular Ray
26 June 2020 20:53:41
The cell to the east fragmented, the most active cell passed to my SW but has now died away. 2 storms today then but nothing spectacular
Jerry
johncs2016
26 June 2020 21:09:06

Just like the thing, all of that started to break up just as it reached here with the heaviest stuff, now just missing me to my west. It just seems as though I am destined to never be lucky with these things any more which makes it not surprising in the very least, that we hardly ever get any sort of "interesting" weather these days in these parts.

fairweather
26 June 2020 22:47:47

There were a few claps of thunder in S.Essex around 5.30 am and a couple of mm of rain. But the severe storms of yesteryear that used to end these hot spells are a thing of the past here. Haven't had a close lightning strike with window rattling thunder for years and tonight is looking like a dud despite the promise of a few days back.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
howham
27 June 2020 05:00:14
Storms finally arriving here. Lightning just seen to my SE.
doctormog
27 June 2020 05:25:27

Originally Posted by: howham 

Storms finally arriving here. Lightning just seen to my SE.

Thundhaar here. 

howham
27 June 2020 05:41:51

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

Thundhaar here. 

I saw a some lightning but the worst of it passed to the east.  More to come by the look of the radar.  At least more haar and rain...

KevBrads1
27 June 2020 08:59:28
Thunderstorm developed to my west before 5pm yesterday. I reckon it has been the thundriest month here since probably August 2004 and thundriest June probably since 1982

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
27 June 2020 12:51:07

My daughter recorded footage of lightning between 10.30 and 11 o clock last night.  It was to our East, there was no thunder so it was distant and nothing showing on the radar closer than the East coast, which is probably 40-50 miles away as the crow flies.  

There have been occasions when the odd strike hasn’t shown on the radar but this was quite frequent.  Am I right to think it’s possible that could have been what she saw if it was high up?

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
johncs2016
27 June 2020 13:34:05
Here in the north of Edinburgh, I can hear some rumbles of thunder in the distance as I write, even though there are no lightning strikes showing up on the latest rain radar maps.

johncs2016
27 June 2020 13:52:12
Those lightning strokes showed up a little bit later, and it turns out that this have came from a small storm which developed in situ, right over the city centre here in Edinburgh.

From where I am in NW Edinburgh, most of the rain from that started off just to my east, before this storm then moved NW with the rain now being to my north, yet this has actually done nothing right where I live, other than to slightly dampen the ground.

Over recent months, it has been a real struggle to get any sort of meaningful rainfall totals in this part of the world and thanks to this kind of thing happening, that struggle goes on.