severnside
27 June 2020 20:56:43

What a dreadful day today, more like Mad March than flaming June. Heavy Rain showers all day ,cold wind, low lead coloured clouds, truly nasty. Still bouts of heavy showers pilling over now. This has become a wet month about 105mm of rain, getting close to last years pitiful June of 120mm rain. Every weekend this month has been poor.

severnside
27 June 2020 21:06:22
Bolty
28 June 2020 12:21:07
In terms of summery weather, June has been a poor month. Apart from the hot weather earlier this week, there's only been a smattering of warm and dry days here and there. However, the thunderstorms have definitely, at least partially, made up for it. This has probably been one of the thunderiest months I can remember, with at least 5 days of thunder, off the top of my head.

If we can't have warm and dry, then I'll happily take thundery and convective instead. There's nothing I hate more than 15C, windy and rain-laden skies all day in summer, like we more or less have now. We've got all autumn and winter for rubbish like this.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
28 June 2020 12:28:25

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

In terms of summery weather, June has been a poor month. Apart from the hot weather earlier this week, there's only been a smattering of warm and dry days here and there. However, the thunderstorms have definitely, at least partially, made up for it. This has probably been one of the thunderiest months I can remember, with at least 5 days of thunder, off the top of my head.

If we can't have warm and dry, then I'll happily take thundery and convective instead. There's nothing I hate more than 15C, windy and rain-laden skies all day in summer, like we more or less have now. We've got all autumn and winter for rubbish like this.

Yes, it's utterly dire today. Windy with driving rain at times. Even worse than yesterday as even though there were frequent heavy showers at least there was some thunder to give a degree of interest. None of that today, it's completely abysmal, a real Aberdeen Richard suicide inducing weekend!

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
AlvinMeister
28 June 2020 12:33:04
Bit gritty today, but yesterday saw some interesting heavy rain. June overall has been fairly decent.
Retron
28 June 2020 15:24:07
Today (and yesterday) were about as perfect as it's possible to be in summer: breezy, cloudy at times, temperatures around 20C with dewpoints a good ten degrees lower. Ideal weather from my point of view for going out in the garden, perfect for sleeping too (no need for a/c!)

The great news is that this will carry on for another week by the looks of it, perfect weather really!

(It also means my next visit to the wolf centre, on Saturday, will be pleasant too; those calm, humid, 30C+ days are awful for taking wolves on walks...)
Leysdown, north Kent
richardabdn
28 June 2020 21:07:54

After yet another vile and disgusting weekend the winds switched to SW at around 6pm and we were bathed in sunshine from a lenticular filled sky as opposed to the drizzly leaden easterly muck which had prevailed until then.

Reminiscent of the quiz show Bullseye when Jim Bowen would invite losing contestants to 'take a look at what they could have won'. As far as this horrendous summer goes, it's not just failing to land on the treble 20 but missing the board completely.

Even when the weekdays are rotten the Weekend Curse still manages to strike. Four diabolical Sundays this month which could aggregate only 6.7 hours sunshine between them, including today's late burst. That works out at a putrid average of 1.68 hours which is the worst performance from any month since December 2016 and the worst from a summer month since the gruesome June 2007

This summer is pure and utter GARBAGE and it's not getting any better. Fit to rank only amongst the very worst like so much of the post-2006 dross 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
johncs2016
28 June 2020 23:02:30

One incredible statistic which I have noticed is that with just two left of this month as I write, there has been less sunshine at Edinburgh Gogarbank during this month than what there was back in March and any of the spring months. It is true that we had an exceptionally sunny spring, but March wasn't sunnier than average by very much and until now, we haven't even been able to beat the total for back then, during this month.

That therefore makes this month, our third dullest month of this entire year so far with only the two preceding winter months with the lowest amounts of available daylight, having less sunshine than what we have during this month. Of course, it may not necessarily end up that way in the end, but we have just passed the summer solstice so that we are in the month which has the highest amount of available daylight hours.

That means that for this month to have had so little in the way of sunshine is just ridiculous, especially since the total for March is now the only total which we can now beat, during these last two days of this month (and I wouldn't put it past our weather, for that to end up not happening). At the same time, it's not as though it's been all that wet here either and indeed, it's been nowhere near as wet here during this month, as what it was during last year.

This month hasn't been as exceptionally dry here either, and it certainly hasn't been anywhere near as dry as what all of the spring months were, especially during April. Indeed, this month has been a bit wetter than average in terms of the number of official rain days here, but the actual rainfall amounts just haven't been able to catch up with that and with just 2 days left of this month, our rainfall totals are struggling really badly, to even reach our appropriate 1981-2010 June averages for that.

In fact, this summer is reminding me quite a lot of what happened in 2016 when just about everywhere else was wetter than average during that summer (at least, here in Scotland), but with our rainfall totals being no more or less than around average during all of those summer months. Now, it is true that Edinburgh is the driest city on average out of Scotland's four major cities (those in order of population and size being Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee).

However, it is the rainfall anomalies which I am comparing here, and not the actual rainfall amounts. Because of that, our 1981-81 averages for rainfall here in Edinburgh are always going to be that bit lower than they are in the other Scottish cities as a result of it being the driest out of those for cities on average. Yet in spite of that, we are still managing to get no more than average rainfall during this month at a time when just everywhere else has been wetter than average.

I don't want to get into any arguments with Richard from Aberdeen about who has the most boring and uninteresting weather overall, but that that very fact that I have just mentions, surely has to demonstrate that we just don't get interesting weather here any more in the same way that everywhere else still does. Even those recent thunderstorms still showed that up to be the case because although I was able to hear that thunder in the distance, the bottom line is that they still missed here because for them to have not done so, would have been asking for too much.

Furthermore, this isn't even been a month which deserves to be anything other than wetter than average, as there been so many occasions during this month when there has been plentiful rainfall nearby that has just refused to fall here, that it has just been unbelievable. However, that is why it is often better to go by the number of official rain days rather than actual rainfall amounts, and it is only right that we have come out above average during this month on that score.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Tim A
29 June 2020 09:47:47
Truly horrible this morning 11.7c with strong winds and outbreaks of rain.
Heating back on, seems bizarre when I was wishing for AC last week.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
29 June 2020 13:12:26

FFS, is it ever going to stop bloody raining??

That is all.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
johncs2016
29 June 2020 13:28:45
My gripe is that I've seen warmer weather at Christmas than what we are seeing just now, and yet, this is supposed to be the middle of summer whereas Christmas lies within what should be the middle of winter.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
JOHN NI
29 June 2020 13:57:52

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

My gripe is that I've seen warmer weather at Christmas than what we are seeing just now, and yet, this is supposed to be the middle of summer whereas Christmas lies within what should be the middle of winter.

And that is what makes the great British weather the talking point that it has always been. On some occasions the name of season means absolutely nothing. From sweltering heat last week to an October feel at the moment.  We've had 25-30 MPH winds, rain (40-50MM in the west) and temperatures 12-13C since Saturday here in Northern Ireland and in some areas out west have gone from drought to flood. Last Thursday/Friday it was 25-27C.  On the plus side - I've slept like a log these last few nights....

John.
The orange County of Armagh.
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
29 June 2020 14:12:18

Today makes me realise it's a lot more depressing enduring rubbish weather when the outlook is also rubbish, than when you know there is warm sunny weather on the horizon. The run-by-run deterioration of the main models since Saturday has been thoroughly disheartening.

That said at least it's fairly dry down here today. Just cool and very windy.

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
Tim A
29 June 2020 14:34:01

Originally Posted by: TimS 

Today makes me realise it's a lot more depressing enduring rubbish weather when the outlook is also rubbish, than when you know there is warm sunny weather on the horizon. The run-by-run deterioration of the main models since Saturday has been thoroughly disheartening.

That said at least it's fairly dry down here today. Just cool and very windy.

Still 20c at City airport though !

You should try 11.7c at 3pm, drizzle and 38mph gusts!

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member
29 June 2020 14:59:47

Originally Posted by: Tim A 

Still 20c at City airport though !

You should try 11.7c at 3pm, drizzle and 38mph gusts!

Yes, all relative. And if this were February I'd probably be sitting outside on the patio remarking on how unusually warm and summery it is.

Brockley, South East London 30m asl
idj20
29 June 2020 15:27:33

Originally Posted by: Col 

FFS, is it ever going to stop bloody raining??

That is all.

In my case, when it is ever going to bloody rain??

Folkestone Harbour. 
Heavy Weather 2013
29 June 2020 15:33:08
This wind has been the most irritating thing over the last few days.
Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
sunny coast
29 June 2020 15:36:28

Originally Posted by: idj20 

.  Looks like tomorrow could be the day for the SE coast for a decent soak. 

Bolty
29 June 2020 15:57:10

Yes, a truly nasty day today. Low/mid-teens and rain coming down for the entire day and feeling decidedly cold. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was November...

Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Retron
29 June 2020 16:20:43

Originally Posted by: idj20 

Would be nice to see some - I've cut the lawn today (perfect conditions too, didn't even work up a sweat thanks to the breeze and 9C dewpoint). I usually only mow when I'm expecting rain (hence I often have the only green lawn in the street - unlike those suckers that mow it every week for some reason!)

In this case, it's a bit of a gamble. The Met Office shows some heavy rain tomorrow afternoon, while GFS only has 0.9mm during daylight hours (not even enough to properly wet the ground). GFS does, however show heavier rain overnight into Wednesday.

We shall see.

At least this pleasant, get-out-and-do-stuff, no-need-for-a/c weather looks like continuing into the weekend - I'll take that with open arms!

Leysdown, north Kent