The Beast from the East
15 May 2020 19:47:57

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

Matt Hancock today said this 

Remember when he was running for Tory leadership last year and he said proroguing Parliament would be illegal and anti-democratic?

When Boris prorogued Parliament, the little weasel did a 180 and said it was fine. He is an utter piece of slime

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
The Beast from the East
15 May 2020 19:50:02

Originally Posted by: Maunder Minimum 

We have spent the 21st Century thus far, crippling the young to favour the old - it is time to introduce some inter-generational fairness and if that means granny and grandad have to be isolated for a few months, so be it (and I speak as a grandfather myself of 65 years of age).

Are you going on one of the "freedom" marches tomorrow?

Heavy Weather 2013
15 May 2020 19:50:49

Originally Posted by: The Beast from the East 

Remember when he was running for Tory leadership last year and he said proroguing Parliament would be illegal and anti-democratic?

When Boris prorogued Parliament, the little weasel did a 180 and said it was fine. He is an utter piece of slime

He really is. 

Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
Maunder Minimum
15 May 2020 19:51:12

Originally Posted by: Justin W 

Given the deflationary headwind, we can lockdown and print money for months. 

That would not save the myriads of small businesses which rely on customer footfall to keep the cashflow up to speed.

We should come out of lockdown, but with proper shielding for the vulnerable and proper testing, track and trace in operation.

There is no earthly reason why a young woman should not be able to visit the hairdressers or why a healthy chap like Beast should not be able to go down to the boozer for a pint or two.

New world order coming.
The Beast from the East
15 May 2020 19:52:32

I suspect Dr Clarke will not be invited back onto the BBC after this

The Beast from the East
15 May 2020 19:57:22

That would not save the myriads of small businesses which rely on customer footfall to keep the cashflow up to speed.

We should come out of lockdown, but with proper shielding for the vulnerable and proper testing, track and trace in operation.

There is no earthly reason why a young woman should not be able to visit the hairdressers or why a healthy chap like Beast should not be able to go down to the boozer for a pint or two.

We don't have this in place yet. The testing is mostly self testing and unreliable. There is no track and trace at the moment. Its a farce Maunder and you know it!

My pub will not be reopening until social distancing rules are relaxed. It wouldn't be financially viable and this branch doesn't have a garden. Other spoons might open but only use the App and table service. I only pay in cash and without my mates, there is no point going. 

I have got used to drinking cans at home. 

Heavy Weather 2013
15 May 2020 19:57:40

The government have done a land grab on the mayors office.

They now have someone sitting on the TfL board. They have successfully spun this as his fault. However, he had to cut services after the stay at home message. You can’t run a full service if no one is travelling. Equally, the message meant their revenues dropped. 

I am no fan of Khan. But the tories have spun this appallingly.

We now have the following:

1. The government to sit on the tfl board

2. Fare increase of 1% above RPI

3. Free Travel for Kids removed

4. Congestion charge increases by 30%

The thing is, now they’ve been removed, I bet you any money they won’t bring them back and the CC charge will stay the same. Poorer kids and family’s are now hit with another cost of the schools do open. 

I suspect Cummings hates the idea of a mayor and power being decentralised. Who is really running this country. You have to ask.

Mark
Beckton, E London
The Beast from the East
15 May 2020 20:01:58

Originally Posted by: Phil G 

Meanwhile, in Holland
Find lockdown ‘sex buddy’, Dutch singles advised
From the BBC news ticker:
"The Dutch government has issued new guidance to single people seeking intimacy during the pandemic: find a "sex buddy".
The National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) says singletons should come to an arrangement with one person.
But couples should avoid sex if one of them suspects they have coronavirus, the advice says.
It comes after critics argued social distancing rules have complicated intimate relations for partners not living together".

Didn't Xioni post a link to a study that showed Corona was found in spunk and fanny juice? So it should be classed as an STD as well

The Beast from the East
15 May 2020 20:03:45

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

The government have done a land grab on the mayors office.

They now have someone sitting on the TfL board. They have successfully spun this as his fault. However, he had to cut services after the stay at home message. You can’t run a full service if no one is travelling. Equally, the message meant their revenues dropped. 

I am no fan of Khan. But the tories have spun this appallingly.

We now have the following:

1. The government to sit on the tfl board

2. Fare increase of 1% above RPI

3. Free Travel for Kids removed

4. Congestion charge increases by 30%

The thing is, now they’ve been removed, I bet you any money they won’t bring them back and the CC charge will stay the same. Poorer kids and family’s are now hit with another cost of the schools do open. 

I suspect Cummings hates the idea of a mayor and power being decentralised. Who is really running this country. You have to ask.

This should be a much bigger story. The govt have totally shafted Khan and got their media acolytes to attack him as well. Its all very sinister and Cummings all over

Gandalf The White
15 May 2020 20:10:40

Originally Posted by: bledur 

Rubbish, The more you keep out it lowers the spread of infection. You either keep it out or let it in and lockdown to slow the transmission. What is best? !0 people carrying the virus or 100? Bleeding obvious.

With the greatest respect, you've missed the point and then managed to support my argument at the same time.

I'll try to keep it simple for you and take you through the steps slowly....

Yes, 10 people carrying the virus is better than 100.

But what do those ten people do, if they're not traced and isolated (which we were not doing effectively)?

The 10 very rapidly becomes 25 to 30 and those then become 60 to 90 which then become 125 to 180.

Now, that is bleeding obvious - but clearly not sufficiently obvious for you.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Phil G
15 May 2020 20:13:05
Put this in your pipe and ......
Tobacco-based vaccine 'ready for human trials'
From the BBC news ticker:
"One of the world's largest cigarette companies, British American Tobacco (BAT), says it is ready to begin human trials on a tobacco-based coronavirus vaccine.
In a statement, the firm said it was using proteins from tobacco leaves, which have generated a positive immune response in pre-clinical trials.
The maker of famous brands such as Lucky Strike said human trials could begin in late June, pending approval by the US Food and Drug Agency.
It raised eyebrows after announcing plans for the jab in April, saying it could produce up to three million doses a week if it received government support.
But it's not the only tobacco firm to do so - industry rival Philip Morris International is also working on its own vaccine".

Heavy Weather 2013
15 May 2020 20:14:29

This should be a much bigger story. The govt have totally shafted Khan and got their media acolytes to attack him as well. Its all very sinister and Cummings all over

Its been buried. But when things get moving and people actually realise their will be outrage. Guess who the outrage will be at. Hint: It won’t be the tories 

Mark
Beckton, E London
Gandalf The White
15 May 2020 20:20:30

Well, there is a good reason: the young woman or a healthy chap can spread the virus to others who are more at risk. That's exactly why we have been through this period of restrictions.

You may be fed up with arguing about closing the borders but no more than I'm fed up with the inability of people to grasp the 'bleeding obvious' (which, apparently, is now an acceptable expression).  Suggesting that everyone in the more vulnerable groups should be locked away ('shielded') is absurd; and of course fails because it assumes that all those in vulnerable groups are known, when quite clearly they are not.

Maybe you missed the report this evening that the figures suggest the R value has crept up to 1 again, even before the latest very modest relaxation of the restrictions. Coming out of 'lockdown' would simply drive R above 1 and, like a game of snakes and ladders, see us slide back to the bottom again.

Relaxing prematurely is a nonsense: dangerous and almost inevitably counterproductive.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Saint Snow
15 May 2020 20:26:50

And what exactly is the relevance of that comment?

I am not a great fan of Hancock and would prefer Hunt in the role, but cut the guy some slack - he has been under the most severe pressure imaginable for the past couple of months.

Is that why he's a habitual liar? The pressure?

As for Hunt, he's just the Murdock family pet. If he was Health Secretary now, we'd probably see the NHS being run by Sky.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Gandalf The White
15 May 2020 20:31:06

As I tirelessly point out Justin, without a free market and private enterprise, there would be no economy to speak of to fund the public sector.

Trashing the economy is not a sensible thing to do, even for public sector workers, since they rely on the wealth creators to generate the income which pays the taxes which funds them.

We have spent the 21st Century thus far, crippling the young to favour the old - it is time to introduce some inter-generational fairness and if that means granny and grandad have to be isolated for a few months, so be it (and I speak as a grandfather myself of 65 years of age).

If you took that position as regards climate change and environmental damage I'd be more willing to contemplate your views. I suspect your views don't extend beyond financial issues.

There was a separate thread about intergenerational fairness. Suffice to say your view is simplistic and incomplete, not to mention grossly unfair and unachievable.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Saint Snow
15 May 2020 20:34:21

Didn't Xioni post a link to a study that showed Corona was found in spunk  and fanny juice? 

Pure poetry 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
15 May 2020 20:51:55

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Pure poetry 

Thank God it's past 9pm 

Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
Chunky Pea
15 May 2020 21:02:55

Originally Posted by: Devonian 

You really need to think about what you just wrote

Good to see you back posting again Dev   

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
Ulric
15 May 2020 21:09:52

Didn't Xioni post a link to a study that showed Corona was found in spunk and fanny juice? So it should be classed as an STD as well

Let's hope the righties all get up to Norwich at the weekend to exchange fluids then.

If someone succeeds in provoking you, realise that your own mind is complicit in the provocation. - Epicetus
Northern Sky
15 May 2020 21:51:47

Originally Posted by: Chidog 

I'm not sure about this study. Gives an infection rate overall of 10% in the UK and 20% in London which sounds way too high to me. Would explain the massive drop in London cases compared to rest of the country though. London has been recording far fewer cases than the rest of the country every day for the last 10

If this study is correct then it's a game changer. We would surely have to massively revise our approach?