RobN
  • RobN
  • Advanced Member
11 May 2020 22:02:26

Originally Posted by: Brian Gaze 

Paris 21 Apr
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/coronavirus-found-paris-sewage-points-early-warning-system

Australis 23 April
https://theconversation.com/flushing-is-our-next-weapon-against-covid-19-if-youre-happy-to-have-your-sewage-scrutinised-136844

Sadly it is all part of the rinse and repeat that is now widespread in online media. Basically republishing the same story is a cheap way to get more clicks. I expect it will be doing the rounds again in a few weeks time.

So true! Most journalism now seems to consist of people sitting in front of keyboards regurgitating other people's stories. Somewhere there must be people writing original material but they seem to be getting fewer and fewer.

Rob
In the flatlands of South Cambridgeshire 15m ASL.
fairweather
11 May 2020 22:05:26

Originally Posted by: JHutch 

Gave me a cheap joke too as well which may have been a factor.

Me too 

S.Essex, 42m ASL
JHutch
11 May 2020 22:16:12

Originally Posted by: David M Porter 

Let's hope their cautious optimism, if it can be described as such, is not misplaced Joe.

I can't remember which of Whitty and Vallance it was who only 2-3 weeks ago were downplaying the chances of a successful vaccine against Covid-19 coming along any time in the near future. I guess they have to be careful with what they say given their public roles, but I for onw am placing my faith in the work that Professor Sarah Gilbert and her team of scientists are doing in Oxford.

I remember Whitty was downplaying the chance of a vaccine being fully available this year. Was that the one?

One negative from tonight was that they reckoned that the number of people who have been infected was about 10% in London, 4% elsewhere across the country. Other estimates i have seen had us a few percent higher than that, i guess we will find out one day how many do have antibodies.

fairweather
11 May 2020 22:22:48

Originally Posted by: JHutch 

I remember Whitty was downplaying the chance of a vaccine being fully available this year. Was that the one?

One negative from tonight was that they reckoned that the number of people who have been infected was about 10% in London, 4% elsewhere across the country. Other estimates i have seen had us a few percent higher than that, i guess we will find out one day how many do have antibodies.

.... not at the current rate of anti-body testing they won't. I mean where is the plan for that in the speech?? Talk the talk but can't walk the walk and now they can't even get the talk right !

S.Essex, 42m ASL
fairweather
11 May 2020 22:27:36

I think Witty and Vallance have been compromised. They don't agree with the current statement but if they say so they know that will be it for the Government. They are being loyal because they think to cause a rift now will make things worse. They managed not to get drawn in by saying that the PR and slogan writing isn't part of their remit.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
CreweCold
11 May 2020 22:44:34

No doubt the New Brexit Party apologists will gloss over this contribution by Hunt. 

You're assuming Labour would have done better, which is a huge assumption to make given that they would have been led by the same scientists. Allied to the fact that most of Europe sat on their hands at some point.

It's alright for the likes of Starmer to sound calm and collected when he has been able to watch events unfold from the sidelines, throwing in the odd snipe about the government along the way.

Crewe, Cheshire
55 metres above sea level
JHutch
11 May 2020 22:54:19

On the subject of things coming back up, just saw this interview with Rory Stewart from March 12th reappear.

The Beast from the East
11 May 2020 23:42:45

Originally Posted by: RobN 

Some hid in their homes. Others refused to accept the threat. Their way of coping, Boccaccio wrote, was to “drink heavily, enjoy life to the full, go round singing and merrymaking, and gratify all of one’s cravings when the opportunity emerged, and shrug the whole thing off as one enormous joke.”

Way to go!

Sounds like a night out in Croydon (pre social distancing of course)Gratifying "cravings" might he a little difficult these days

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
bledur
12 May 2020 04:48:15

We took delivery of a sofa ordered in early December this afternoon. Today was the first day of deliveries since lockdown started.

And if you still like it after seeing it in December, Sofa So Good.

Roger Parsons
12 May 2020 04:54:18

Originally Posted by: bledur 

And if you still like it after seeing it in December, Sofa So Good.

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830