Justin W
10 May 2020 20:45:57

Originally Posted by: CreweCold 

What did people expect in an 8 minute speech? Seriously. 

It was an overview, an outline, nothing more and nothing less. The details will be fleshed out tomorrow as has been stated.

The people who need to return to work tomorrow will have been informed a while ago. Liaisons are ongoing between the government and affected businesses.

People who are confused by his address tonight are either nigh on braindead or wilfully ignorant.

We are all adults but it seems some people need their arses wiping for them and expect a personal itinerary of what they as an individual should be doing on a daily basis.

So should I be going back to work tomorrow if I don’t have a car?

Yo yo yo. 148-3 to the 3 to the 6 to the 9, representing the ABQ, what up, biatch?
SJV
  • SJV
  • Advanced Member
10 May 2020 20:47:08

The people who need to return to work tomorrow will have been informed a while ago. 

Not all of them

People who are confused by his address tonight are either nigh on braindead or wilfully ignorant.

Disrespectful and uncalled for.

Originally Posted by: Whether Idle 

Issues around public transport, a requirement to go to work for millions, and fear of losing ones job. 

Very possibly a recipe for worry, confusion and possibly getting R above 1.

Is Boris and his Cabinet going to man all the over ground & underground stations? Or patrol the buses?

Think about it.

Your comment above is one of the most wrong-headed Ive seen on here for a while, and a perfect example of blind faith leading to defective thinking.

I agree.

Follow/like Steel City Skies - Sheffield Weather Forecasting on Facebook , Twitter  and Instagram .
📢 Play the TWO Forums Quiz!  📢
Bertwhistle
10 May 2020 20:48:10

Originally Posted by: pfw 

Was just chatting to a member of my family who is a school headteacher in the UK.

They've been trying to plan out how to re-open. She reckons no more than 6 kids per classroom if the 2m limit is to be enforceable. Staggered playtime and other measures. Difficulties with lunch hour and so on. They need to sort out how toilet hygiene and staff PPE will work. Some parents will refuse to send their kids anyway unless their safety is "absolutely guaranteed". A number of members of staff apparently very scared to come back. Plus the unions may be an issue. It sounds like a complete nightmare to be honest.

Same problem; trying to think of how to run Breakfast and After School Club; how much hand soap and paper towels needed(we got through a month of these in the week before lock-down due to 7 handwashes a day); how to manage lunch indoors on rainy days- extra hygiene on classroom tables; whether school library is usable (++ handling); several staff now expressing issues with mental well-being; YR pupils who won't keep their fingers to themselves; staff who forget not to cough outwardly (aaagh!); and all the time, worrying about pupil well-being if govs decide to go for masks, staff well-being anyway, parents distancing at collection time (impossible), and all throughout, safeguarding those most vulnerable pupils if we spread out across a large site.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
CreweCold
10 May 2020 20:48:33

Issues around public transport, a requirement to go to work for millions, and fear of losing ones job. 

Very possibly a recipe for worry, confusion and possibly getting R above 1.

Is Boris and his Cabinet going to man all the over ground & underground stations? Or patrol the buses?

Think about it.

Your comment above is one of the most wrong-headed Ive seen on here for a while, and a perfect example of blind faith leading to defective thinking.

What do you want done about public transport? It is what it is, it's what happens when you choose a job so far from your home. 

On the one hand people want the economy to get back up and running but on the other hand want a miraculous risk free way of getting the labour force to these jobs. I'm sorry but it doesn't cut both ways. 

What more did you expect from him other to suggest walking or cycling (where possible) or using the car?

Crewe, Cheshire
55 metres above sea level
Polar Low
10 May 2020 20:48:58

Homebase and local car wash now open are we gong to see more secret openings before then?

Originally Posted by: speckledjim 

Builders, manufacturing etc. He mentioned shops opening from 1st June

Justin W
10 May 2020 20:49:16

Originally Posted by: Phil G 

I wish Russia would let us know their secret of keeping people alive. Another 11k new cases today, but less than a hundred reported dead again. So out of sync with other countries. Over hundred nurses and doctors dead. Some 'managing' to fall out of windows. Ministers going down with the virus like flies. A few weeks ago 9 hour ambulance queues waiting to go into hospitals when the new case rate was 4k. How on earth are they coping now. I suspect there are a lot of bodies in bags being taken somewhere and hidden/disposed of.

Maybe, you know, fewer people are actually dying than in your dear old Blighty where your Saint Winston De Pfeiffel Phallushead Cock has actual ultra violet light emanating from his engorged butthole.

Yo yo yo. 148-3 to the 3 to the 6 to the 9, representing the ABQ, what up, biatch?
Justin W
10 May 2020 20:50:52

What do you want done about public transport? It is what it is, it's what happens when you choose a job so far from your home. 

On the one hand people want the economy to get back up and running but on the other hand want a miraculous risk free way of getting the labour force to these jobs. I'm sorry but it doesn't cut both ways. 

What more did you expect from him other to suggest walking or cycling (where possible) or using the car?

If I usually get the bus to work 10 miles away and I don’t have a car, do you advise me to get the bus. Cos your Saintly Boris told me not to. Or was he wrong? You seem on top of this.

John p
10 May 2020 20:53:58

Originally Posted by: Gooner 

So you wouldn't utilise the empty class rooms that would be available ? Surely to god you aren't going to lob them into one room ????

It’s not that easy to create an extra yrr, yr1, yr6 teacher. 

Camberley, Surrey
Phil G
10 May 2020 20:55:05

Originally Posted by: Darren S 

I can't see how this can be right, as it implies an average of less than 1,600 per day. I know it's only England, and I'm guessing it's only Tier 1, but even then it seems too low.

I'm also confused about the new case numbers. I have been seeing roughly 4k each day reported give or take, but this morning on the Marr show and another source which I can't remember suggested the rate was in fact somewhere between 18,000 to 20,000 every day!

CreweCold
10 May 2020 20:55:49

Originally Posted by: Justin W 

If I usually get the bus to work 10 miles away and I don’t have a car, do you advise me to get the bus. Cos your Saintly Boris told me not to. Or was he wrong? You seem on top of this.

For starters no one is saintly to me.

Secondly, why is everyone acting shocked. We all knew there would come a time where people had to go back to work. Some of the same people moaning about the economy being crippled are now moaning about people going back to work...can you see why this might rub me up the wrong way??

For what it's worth, I always advocated a complete lockdown of everything that possibly could be so that case numbers were low enough that we could completely reopen. But guess what? These same people said it was impossible.

So what exactly DO you want to see happen?

Crewe, Cheshire
Whether Idle
10 May 2020 20:56:36

I think he is bending to pressure from the right wing of the Tory Party.  And whilst talking about putting health first, his actions put business ahead of health.

Just as Boris was pressured by the likes of the mendacious Cummings to follow herd immunity and keep the economy going, thinking (wrongly) that Britannia would steal a march on those over-reacting Europeans, until their Damascean conversion on Thursday 12 March; they are now trying to get business going in construction and manufacturing before PPE, track  and trace, and testing are anywhere near where they should be.

The net effect will tragically be the same - thousands, possibly tens of thousands more deaths as a direct result of a government decision based on money rather than health.  A balance needs to be struck, but the Tories have again got this terribly wrong.

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
CreweCold
10 May 2020 21:00:32

I think he is bending to pressure from the right wing of the Tory Party.  And whilst talking about putting health first, his actions put business ahead of health.

Just as Boris was pressured by the likes of the mendacious Cummings to follow herd immunity and keep the economy going, thinking (wrongly) that Britannia would steal a march on those over-reacting Europeans, until their Damascean conversion on Thursday 12 March; they are now trying to get business going in construction and manufacturing before PPE, track  and trace, and testing are anywhere near where they should be.

The net effect will tragically be the same - thousands, possibly tens of thousands more deaths as a direct result of a government decision based on money rather than health.  A balance needs to be struck, but the Tories have again got this terribly wrong.

Well I kind of agree. However, the same people moaning about reopening tonight are the same people who have been telling us how terrible lockdown is for mental health, and how many deaths there would be from a tanked economy. So I'm genuinely confused as to what would assuage these individuals?

I can only conclude from the contradictory nature of their postings, they just want to stick the boot into the government and are using the COVID pandemic as a proxy.

To them, if they can get enough people onboard the 'government is doing crap' train, they feel they can garner support for the opposition. That is all this boils down to beneath the veneer.

Crewe, Cheshire
Polar Low
10 May 2020 21:02:30

And our head will run it from home giving out orders with no risks 

quote=Bertwhistle;1214409]

Same problem; trying to think of how to run Breakfast and After School Club; how much hand soap and paper towels needed(we got through a month of these in the week before lock-down due to 7 handwashes a day); how to manage lunch indoors on rainy days- extra hygiene on classroom tables; whether school library is usable (++ handling); several staff now expressing issues with mental well-being; YR pupils who won't keep their fingers to themselves; staff who forget not to cough outwardly (aaagh!); and all the time, worrying about pupil well-being if govs decide to go for masks, staff well-being anyway, parents distancing at collection time (impossible), and all throughout, safeguarding those most vulnerable pupils if we spread out across a large site.

Phil G
10 May 2020 21:11:39
Surprised no mention of masks which I thought would be a gimme if travelling on public transport, especially during rush hour.
Phil G
10 May 2020 21:14:46

Originally Posted by: Justin W 

Maybe, you know, fewer people are actually dying than in your dear old Blighty where your Saint Winston De Pfeiffel Phallushead Cock has actual ultra violet light emanating from his engorged butthole.

Nah, my strong gut feel is more will be dead over there, by a country mile if ever the truth came out.

Bertwhistle
10 May 2020 21:14:47

Originally Posted by: Polar Low 

And our head will run it from home giving out orders with no risks 

Um...not sure if you realise the risks involved. Not sure also why you think heads 'give out orders'. Primary education is not the Wellingtonian military.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Polar Low
10 May 2020 21:21:09

I did say our head last one was much better and much more supportive

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Um...not sure if you realise the risks involved. Not sure also why you think heads 'give out orders'. Primary education is not the Wellingtonian military.

David M Porter
10 May 2020 21:23:47

The government seem to have been going in circles ever since day one of this crisis.

My own considered view is that BJ is taking another massive gamble with what he said this evening. Like everyone I fully realise there will come a time when we will make to make some move to restart the economy, but I am far from convinced that we have yet reached that stage.

Yes, the number of infections and deaths each day and week has fallen a bit compared to a month or so ago, but my worry is that if restrictions are eased even slightly, it could (and IMHO likely will) lead to another surge in the number of new cases and deaths, rather like what we saw in late March and early-mid April. In my view, the lockdown which has been in place since 23rd March needs to remain in place until the much talked about "R" number is below 0.5 across the UK. Things are still far too precarious as they are.

Lenzie, Glasgow

"Let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly on wisdom, and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view."- Queen Elizabeth II 1926-2022
Gandalf The White
10 May 2020 21:25:40

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Meant, Gandalf, in my slackening mental capacity, that it's not great to judge when we don't know how anyone else, given the circumstances, would have done better.

Nothing more sinister.

Thanks Bertie.

My perspective is that we should be looking at the best practice of leadership demonstrated by leaders of other countries with broadly similar socioeconomic circumstances.  On that measure the Johnson government comes up short of the best; I'd hope you would concur with that reasonable assessment.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

westv
10 May 2020 21:29:55

Originally Posted by: Phil G 

Surprised no mention of masks which I thought would be a gimme if travelling on public transport, especially during rush hour.

Presumably because the advice was to avoid PT if possible.

At least it will be mild!