Polar Low
09 May 2020 20:58:05

Think toilets would have to be open as covered by Public health care act.

Originally Posted by: westv 

If/when garden centres reopen we won't be able to go unless they also reopen their toilet facilities as my wife will need to make use of them.

Polar Low
09 May 2020 21:06:41

Wish it would say that cafe inside remains shut as many are very small around here SD would be a problem and really I can’t see it necessary at the moment.

Originally Posted by: Gavin D 

Garden centres in England will be allowed to open from Wednesday

Garden centres in England will be allowed to open from Wednesday as part of first-step measures to gradually ease the coronavirus-related lockdown. The prime minister will announce on Sunday that garden centres will be allowed to open their doors to customers from 13 May.

Bosses will have to make sure visitors stick to strict social distancing measures, such as keeping two metres away from others, and will be expected to put restrictions in place to control shop numbers in a similar way to supermarkets. UK supermarkets have introduced queuing systems and one-way aisles to limit the interaction customers and staff have with one another, while also creating cleaning stations where trolley and basket handles can be disinfected. 

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-garden-centres-to-reopen-as-first-steps-to-ease-lockdown-revealed-11985532

JHutch
09 May 2020 21:11:20

Originally Posted by: Brian Gaze 

Two members of Dynamo Dresden test positive. Football is a no no IMO.

Going to be difficult because one person tests positive and the rest all have to go into isolation, be tested etc, which means no games for a couple of weeks. If it just happens to one club then they can just play the games at a later date but has the potential to be chaotic. If it was a shorter time that they had to play games then you could try to put them into isolation the whole time.

Also calls into question how next season is going to work. We have a bit of a discussion on this in the sports forum but there has the potential for at least the start of next season to be messed up by coronavirus.

Tour de france has been postponed and is now supposed to be starting at the end of august. Things may look very different by that stage but i can't help thinking that over the course of 3 weeks someone is going to test positive for coronavirus, either one of the riders or one of the support staff, someone else connected with the race etc, resulting in isolation etc and making a complete mess of it. I would imagine there is a lot of thought going into trying to reduce the risks as much as possible but i just don't see it ending well at the moment, hopefully i will be wrong.

Polar Low
09 May 2020 21:12:04

Feelings are mixed among teachers as I regularly ask this question so I would not rule out a earlier phased rota return.

Originally Posted by: Gooner 

I see Teachers unions sent a list of key measures to the government , that's probably ended a chance of returning before September I'd have thought 

lanky
09 May 2020 21:29:09

The Governments message from tomorrow is changing to Stay Alert Control the virus Save Lives

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/09/stay-alert-boris-johnsons-new-message-nation/

I hope that isn't the slogan they start to use

I don't think the word "alert" is at all apposite for the cautious or defensive behaviour they want to encourage. We are told that the wording and presentation of the current slogan has been a key factor in getting R down below 1 so the actual choice of words is important IMO

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
fairweather
09 May 2020 21:35:26

Originally Posted by: Bugglesgate 

Well In the last fortnight  I have used my car as follows :-

1.  Last Saturday to take groceries to The Folks (joint Ocado order to me at home)

2.  Wed last   week  a trip into   work to get equipment   to enable   remote working to continue.

3.  Today - take groceries  to the folks (Joint Ocado order to me at home)

4.  Also today, a brief trip in the MX5 across the downs  because it hasn't moved for  loads of weeks  and  needed a short run out- and I fancied doing it

So 3 justifiable runs and one   not so justifiable !  However, social distancing maintained at all times.

Yes and I think that is what has caused the smallish increase in traffic and is unlikely to increase transmission in this phase of the epidemic.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Bugglesgate
09 May 2020 21:35:31

The Governments message from tomorrow is changing to Stay Alert Control the virus Save Lives

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/05/09/stay-alert-boris-johnsons-new-message-nation/

Not exactly "punchy", is it ? 

Not early coherent either !

We are removing from a direct and memorable instruction to  .... well, I don't know what it is really !

Chris (It,its)
Between Newbury and Basingstoke
"When they are giving you their all, some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy banging your heart against some mad buggers wall"
fairweather
09 May 2020 21:38:12

Originally Posted by: ozone_aurora 

It looks like I will be doing the same for the Chemist, as I am running out of medicines. I'll probably will chicken out & no-longer take them!

A nice man volunteering for the local Council collected and delivered my last lot. 

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Polar Low
09 May 2020 21:38:38

We are moving to alert 3 what  ever that means 1:5  in existence apparently.

Originally Posted by: Bugglesgate 

Not exactly "punchy", is it ? 

Not early coherent either !

We are removing from a direct and memorable instruction to  .... well, I don't know what it is really !

Polar Low
09 May 2020 21:39:48

Yes that’s what Hylands park was like last week, pizza and beers and three mile hill fully parked up where are the police to move them on.

cant drive in and park so stick out like sore thumb.

in a way I guess the weather has not helped but that’s not the point things change dramatically if it’s your loved ones affected,

just proves how ignorant the public can be.

fairweather
09 May 2020 21:45:26

Originally Posted by: RobN 

John Humphrys is a poor choice of judge of impartiality. He was a terrible interviewer. He'd been in the job too long and thought he was a god. His interviews were appalling biased but often it wasn't a simple matter of left or right - it was whether he liked the interviewee or not. If he liked the person he was terribly chummy and never asked a difficult question. However if he took a dislike to the person he was a complete rottweiler. 

I think your political spectrum is so far skewed as to be unrecognisable to most people.

As I mentioned above the extreme left think the Guardian is a Tory stooge.

Those like you claiming the BBC has an extreme left wing bias are so far to the right that the "centre right" is on the left to them.

Perhaps you should have looked in the mirror before you wrote the last sentence.

He is a presenter. Saw him on Celebrity Mastermind. Thick as 5&lt like that Clive bloke News Presenter who was on House of Games last week. As dim as they come judging by his answers.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Polar Low
09 May 2020 21:48:06

Yes my elderly mum (90) had a phone call about prescriptions but I was worried it maybe a scam and told her not to bother I normally and will collet them for her anyway, but I had a vision of somebody coming around we did not know and knocking her over.

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

A nice man volunteering for the local Council collected and delivered my last lot. 

fairweather
09 May 2020 21:48:56

Originally Posted by: Maunder Minimum 

....so we have gone from a prick in the thumb....

... keeps them out of the Cabinet. 

S.Essex, 42m ASL
fairweather
09 May 2020 21:50:49

Originally Posted by: Polar Low 

I must say I took my partner to hospital last week for urgent eye surgery I was very impressed with how cautious and safe it was.

I was allowed in see her the lift as my partner is partially sighted in both eyes then to be greeted with 2 nurses with masks and also a set of important questions about covid

I was not allowed in and asked to returned to the car park I waited about 4 hours in the car as the hospital is about 30 miles away (Colchester)

I was then phoned by a nurse to say my partner was ok and would be sent downstairs in a lift in a wheelchair I waited and picked her up wheeled her to the car and returned the wheelchair in a certain area with wipes to clean.

The nurse had cleaned everything before hand before collecting.

I felt safe for my partner and pleased it went ahead as it’s a good chance it has saved her sight in that eye.

We are hoping for further surgery in the other eye soon if we can.

That's good, hope it goes well.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Polar Low
09 May 2020 21:55:48

Diabetic retinopathy
not nice for her but pleased it went ahead as bleeding behind her eyes rarely stops so hoping for best.

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

That's good, hope it goes well.

Polar Low
09 May 2020 21:57:36

Yes same things here going on and now local car wash and Homebase open.

not sure why it is done in secret do you?

Originally Posted by: Brian Gaze 

Just heard coffee shops and bakeries reopened here on Wednesday. Apparently they've been given the green light behind the scene. Had no idea this had been going on.

Polar Low
09 May 2020 22:06:08

Yes Geoff and this picture should not be allowed on Twitter as many folk and children are struggling badly with mental health at the moment.

Originally Posted by: The Beast from the East 

Ulric
09 May 2020 22:15:33

They do lots of things in secret.

If someone succeeds in provoking you, realise that your own mind is complicit in the provocation. - Epicetus
ozone_aurora
09 May 2020 23:27:58

I wondered it might be done to prevent sudden overcrowding/queuing.

The Beast from the East
09 May 2020 23:44:14

Originally Posted by: Maunder Minimum 

goody goody yum yum.

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President