johncs2016
01 April 2020 09:52:09

Given below, are the final March statistics for Edinburgh, Gogarbank from all of the data which I have available which are:

Temperature (°C):

Lowest Min: -2.4 (on 5/3)
Highest Min: 8.6 (on 25/3)
Mean Min: 2.8
Min. Anomaly: +0.2

Lowest Max: 6.3 (on 2/3)
Highest Max: 13.2 (on 24/3)
Mean Max: 9.4
Max. Anomaly: +0.4

Ave. Temp.: 6.1
Temp. Anomaly: +0.3

Air Frosts: 6 (80.0% of 1981-2010 average)

Rainfall (mm):

Total for Month: 48.6 (86.9% of 1981/2010 average)
Wettest Day: 9.2 (on 17/3)
Rain Days: 11 (93.2% of 1981/2010 average)
Dry Days: 11
Longest Dry Spell: 6 Days (19/3 to 24/3 inclusive)
Highest Number of Days without a single dry day: 7 Days (6/3 to 12/3 inclusive)

Sunshine Totals (hrs):

Total For Month: 111.6 (104.4% of 1981-2010 average)
Sunniest Day: 10.4 (on 20/3)
Sunless Days: 2

Conclusion:

Overall, a slightly warmer than average month albeit with only a very small temperature anomaly. The number of air frosts was the same as the total for two of the winter months put together, but this was still below average which shows just how poor, the preceding "winter" actually was on that front.

In terms of rainfall, it was a month which for a while, had looked as though it would be wetter than average once again as the pattern from the winter continued into the start of March. Even from the offset though, it was always clear that March was never going to be anywhere near as wet as February. It wasn't one of those exceptionally dry months which we often get during the spring and autumn which provides us with barely any rainfall at all during that entire month. However, a very dry second half of the month ensured that March would in the end, go down as our first drier than average month since last April with the number of official rain days also failing to exceed the long term average at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

Finally, it was also a slightly sunnier than average month in the end, although the end of the month was a bit duller with easterly winds bring us our only sunless days of that month on two back to back days during that period.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Tim A
01 April 2020 10:40:04
Stats for my back garden:

Average high: 9.6c
Average low: 2.0c
Mean: 5.6c

Highest temp: 17.4 (24th)
Lowest temp -1.4c (7th and 23rd)

Rainfall: 36mm

Days with snow falling 7.
Max snow depth: 0.5cm (3rd)
Total snow depth: 0.5cm (3rd)
Days with lying snow at 9am: 0.

A slightly warmer month than average with below average rainfall. Not very wintry.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

johncs2016
18 April 2020 09:21:11

If you have followed my previous reports in these threads, you will know that in addition to the usual report for Edinburgh Gogarbank which I usually always begin these threads with, I usually then produce a second report for the botanic gardens in Edinburgh once all of the data for that particular station has become available. However, those of you who are eagle-eyed will have noticed that I haven't been producing any reports for the botanic gardens in Edinburgh on any of these threads for a while now.

The reason for that is down to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Those of you who don't actually live here in Edinburgh but who are regular visitors to this city, will know that in addition to being one of my three local stations, the botanic gardens in Edinburgh would also under normal circumstances, be one of the top visitor attractions here in Edinburgh. It is within this particular visitor attraction itself, that the weather station is located for which I produce my various reports on this forum.

As a visitor attraction though, the botanic gardens in Edinburgh are currently closed to the public due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, with that having been the case since before the beginning of the current lockdown. The weather station in there is still operational, and I have still been able to get the usual reports from there for temperature, dew point and rainfall from both weathercast.co.uk and SEPA as usual. However, they are currently running only a skeleton staff during this ongoing crisis and because of that, the data on their own website has still now been updated since February.

This means that the full set of available data which I have for that particular station, only goes up to the end of January and because of that, I have been unable to produce any reports for there on this thread since then as a result. At some point in time though, this ongoing crisis will eventually be over and at some point in time after that, the botanic gardens in Edinburgh will re-open to the public with a return to a full quota of staff for manning its weather station, thus allowing their website to be brought fully back up to date. Once that happens, I will then hope to be able to produce some statistics on this threads once again for that particular station but until then, I have no option other than to continue to produce these reports only for Edinburgh Gogarbank in the meantime.

In addition to that as well, the only reason why I am still able to produce these reports for Edinburgh Gogarbank just now is because that particular station is situated within a location which is owned and managed by the Scottish Government, and which isn't located within any sort of public visitor attraction. Edinburgh Gogarbank is much more fully automated than the botanic gardens in Edinburgh which means that the availability of data from there has not been affected in any way, by the current ongoing COVID-19 crisis.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.