Whether Idle
30 March 2020 18:54:48

Originally Posted by: Heavy Weather 2013 

There have been a few snippity remarks today around people criticising too much.

I applaud the governement for what they have achieved with nightingale. It’s a well done from me.

However, we can’t let this achievement shy away from the fact that NHS staff still don’t have adequate PPE and our testing remains woeful.

Equally, we still see different figures published on the tracker and official PHE figure. These are the basics that we need to get right.

Testing is a MASSIVE concern.  This is one area where the inadequate governmental, woeful lack of preparation cannot be papered over, nor a can a rearguard action be effectively fought rapidly.

Germany is conducting 500,000 tests a week, we managed about 35,000 last week.

The UK government is putting peoples lives at risk with its Pathetic response in the most VITAL of areas which is a consequence of being way too late out of the blocks for a scarce resource.

Dover, 5m asl. Half a mile from the south coast.
Darren S
30 March 2020 18:56:39

There have been a few snippity remarks today around people criticising too much.

Equally, we still see different figures published on the tracker and official PHE figure. These are the basics that we need to get right.

They've corrected the Dashboard now. (Incidentally, the graph on the bottom left was always correct, it was just the top left value that was wrong).

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14

Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
Gandalf The White
30 March 2020 19:08:13

Originally Posted by: xioni2 

Indeed, but the comment was for Italy & Spain, where different generations of the same family often live very close to each other, occasionally even in the same block of flats. I still think this is a factor behind our high number in the West Midlands.

That was exactly my understanding.   The issue of close-knit families in Italy was discussed when the epidemic exploded there 2-3 weeks ago.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Gandalf The White
30 March 2020 19:16:50

I applaud the governement for what they have achieved with nightingale. It’s a well done from me.

However, we can’t let this achievement shy away from the fact that NHS staff still don’t have adequate PPE and our testing remains woeful.

The remarks were not remotely 'snippety'; they were absolutely merited, as your post demonstrates yet again.  Why this fixation on looking for every possible difference in the data and then complaining because you think they're not 'right'?  

The basics that need to be right are the data available to the people having to make the decisions.  

No doubt if they delayed reporting for a day or two to get the data agreed and ensure identical figures were published everywhere then you'd be complaining about the delay instead.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Gooner
30 March 2020 19:24:31

Originally Posted by: springsunshine 

He did NOT say 12 weeks.That was for the over 70`s he said in his address last Monday 3 weeks and then reviewed.

This is what he was actually relating to - it was a comment in general about how to beat the virus NOT just the over 70's 

The next 12 weeks could “turn the tide of this disease”, Johnson told the daily Downing Street press conference on the pandemic, saying it was possible to “send coronavirus packing in this country, but only if we all take the steps we have outlined”.

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
30 March 2020 19:27:40

Originally Posted by: fairweather 

Yes I agree. What am I saying about the stats is that they are not accurate enough to be making the fine judgements on that some people are on here in either direction.  

And you’re right!  My comment wasn’t directed at you or anyone in particular.  It was a general observation because it’s so easy to get sucked down into a black hole and right now more than ever, we need to stay positive!

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
30 March 2020 19:31:28

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

As the saying goes, before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes (because then you are a mile away and have their shoes).

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Rob K
30 March 2020 19:53:27

Originally Posted by: Gandalf The White 

The new Nightingale Hospital opens on Wednesday, fully equipped including intensive care beds with ventilators.

That's a fantastic effort. The building may have been there but to equip it so quickly and sort out the staffing is astonishingly good.

And yet people have been sharing it on Facebook as a negative thing, calling it the “Excel Deathbox” and so on. 

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Gooner
30 March 2020 19:54:56

I think the Nightingale is very impressive and quite an achievement 

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

Heavy Weather 2013
30 March 2020 19:57:24

The remarks were not remotely 'snippety'; they were absolutely merited, as your post demonstrates yet again.  Why this fixation on looking for every possible difference in the data and then complaining because you think they're not 'right'?  

The basics that need to be right are the data available to the people having to make the decisions.  

No doubt if they delayed reporting for a day or two to get the data agreed and ensure identical figures were published everywhere then you'd be complaining about the delay instead.

And yet again you find fault. I see you clearly only decided to pick up on the data comment but failed to address the important issues I have highlighted around PPE and the poor testing despite government claims.

You’ll also note I praises the excellent work to get the Nightingale hospital up and running.

Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
30 March 2020 20:01:53

Originally Posted by: Ulric 

Lord Sumption has just helpfully suggested on R4 that the distancing measures and lockdown are the result of mass hysteria, anyone's opinion is better than a scientist's and that we should all go back to our normal daily lives.

I was listening to this and picked up a somewhat different message

While I agree that he gave the impression that he would have far fewer controls in place, his main point seemed to be that regulations were being introduced at the whim of a minister without any proper legislative process; and that the police in over-interpreting them were moving away from their traditional position in this country of 'civilians in uniform' to 'government agents'. This is s not dissimilar point to that made by David Davis and others in forcing limitations on the duration of emergency legislation.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
fairweather
30 March 2020 20:04:33

Originally Posted by: Caz 

And you’re right!  My comment wasn’t directed at you or anyone in particular.  It was a general observation because it’s so easy to get sucked down into a black hole and right now more than ever, we need to stay positive!

I know yours wasn't Caz. Anyway the DG of WHO said today:-

"Dr Tedros claimed scientific tools can only take us so far in the battle against COVID-19 as he said: “We continue to be encouraged by the signs of global solidarity to confront and overcome this common threat.

“The commitment of G20 countries to work together to improve production and supply of essential products shows that the world is coming together."

His single word of advice was "humility".

It would be nice. 

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Maunder Minimum
30 March 2020 20:06:11

Originally Posted by: DEW 

I was listening to this and picked up a somewhat different message

While I agree that he gave the impression that he would have far fewer controls in place, his main point seemed to be that regulations were being introduced at the whim of a minister without any proper legislative process; and that the police in over-interpreting them were moving away from their traditional position in this country of 'civilians in uniform' to 'government agents'. This is s not dissimilar point to that made by David Davis and others in forcing limitations on the duration of emergency legislation.

I agree - the police appear hyperactive in some places, notably Derbyshire and parts of Wales thus far - they need putting back in their box.

The exposing of a couple taking their dog for a walk along a deserted path in the Peak District was way out of order.

It will be interesting if any of the actions taken by the police end up being challenged in court - we shall see in good time.

New world order coming.
Rob K
30 March 2020 20:06:11

Originally Posted by: Bugglesgate 

You  know my visceral  hatred of the Thatch and suspicion of Tories in general, however, the proof of the pudding is that Boris  IS actually doing the right things at the moment, for whatever reason (genuine empathy or being s*it scared this could all blow up and make him the worst -Prime - Minister ...... ever !).  He is also , largely, saying the right things.  I'm still giving him the benefit of the doubt.  If we are being totally honest, as much as I sympathise with Corbyn's take on things generally,  I think in these circumstances he would have been  a bloody disaster !

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. I could never vote Tory but I find myself being quite glad the current shower of Labour loons and losers aren’t in power at the moment. 

"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
fairweather
30 March 2020 20:08:55

Originally Posted by: Gooner 

I think the Nightingale is very impressive and quite an achievement 

Cool name as well I thought.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Rob K
30 March 2020 20:11:22
I was pondering the other day, am I really a antisocial bugger given that I don’t really feel any restrictions with this lockdown? About the only thing I miss is weekend bike rides with my friends. I guess when you have two young children and work long hours you don’t really go out much!
Gandalf The White
30 March 2020 20:20:51

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

And yet people have been sharing it on Facebook as a negative thing, calling it the “Excel Deathbox” and so on. 

Which says all you need to know about social media.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Gandalf The White
30 March 2020 20:22:37

And yet again you find fault. I see you clearly only decided to pick up on the data comment but failed to address the important issues I have highlighted around PPE and the poor testing despite government claims.

You’ll also note I praises the excellent work to get the Nightingale hospital up and running.

When you stop the incessant whining I'll stop flagging it.

130 metres ASL
52.0N 0.1E

Gavin D
30 March 2020 20:25:55

Updated trajectory

John p
30 March 2020 20:28:50

When you stop the incessant whining I'll stop flagging it.

Come on, is there any need for this sniping, think we all need to get along at the moment guys!

Camberley, Surrey