Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
09 February 2020 07:34:57

Good morning!  Wet and wild but mild. 9.9c

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
johncs2016
09 February 2020 08:03:10

A thoroughly wet and miserable morning here in Edinburgh, thanks to Storm Ciara.

As at 7am this morning, this particular event has resulted in the incredible total of 35.0 mm of rain being recorded at Edinburgh Gogarbank, along with 30.6 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. Those aren't typos either, as that is actually how much rain we have had from this event which makes me wonder why on Earth those official warnings which the Met Office issued for rain in areas which are further to our south, didn't also extend to this part of the world as the UK Met Office have clearly underestimated the effect that this would probably have in terms of the size of the area which would be affected by that.

In any case, this makes that 24 hour period up to 9am this morning, the wettest 24 hour period of this winter at both of those stations and in most years, that would also be more than enough to give us our wettest day of the entire year although we did get a few days during last summer which were even wetter than that and it is still absolutely chucking it down with rain here in Edinburgh as I write.

During last night, there was a drop in the temperature as a weather front moved across here, although this was nowhere near enough to give us a frost. In the last hour though, the temperature has jumped back up again by a similar amount as that weather front has returned northwards and as that has happened, the wind has also picked up again.

Last night's overnight minimum temperature at Edinburgh Gogarbank was 3.1°C, but the temperature at 7am has now jumped back up to around 9°C here in Edinburgh as our frost-free horror show goes on.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Surrey John
09 February 2020 08:07:03
Mild 9.6c

Dry

Breezy (wind seems to have eased a bit, can’t hear it now, but could earlier)

Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire
35m ASL
marco 79
09 February 2020 08:12:31
Overcast with intermittent rain...strong to gale force wind (East Mids Airport max gust recently 56mph)..mild at 9.8c...
Home : Mid Leicestershire ...135m ASL
Skreever
09 February 2020 08:33:04
Overcast with light rain

Wind SSE fresh breeze

Temp 4C
Veteran of winter of 62/63
By Scapa Flow, Orkney
johncs2016
09 February 2020 09:01:53

In addition to what I have mentioned already, I can also add that the air pressure here in Edinburgh is very low just now. As at 8am this morning, the pressure at Edinburgh Gogarbank was down to 966.5mb and was still falling at that time. This shows how intense Storm Ciara has actually been, as I wouldn't like to imagine what the actual central pressure is in the very centre of this storm system.

Meanwhile, the rainfall totals since 9am yesterday morning have now increased to 39.4 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 34.8 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh. There was a brief interuption to that rainfall a short while ago, but even that didn't last for long and it is now raining here yet again as I write.

While the winds have picked up again though, they were only gusting up to 33.5mph from the SSW as at 8am this morning, and are not all that strong just now.

However, we have once again entered into that typical nightmare scenario of double figures winter temperatures as the temperature at 8am had gone up to around 10°C here in Edinburgh.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
howham
09 February 2020 09:26:45

We seem to be under a protective dome here. No rain or much of any wind.

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
09 February 2020 10:33:00

Low featureless cloud blowing across in a very variable wind, both in strength and direction but mostly SW and gusting to 50km/h (31mph); fine rain blowing horizontally with 2.8mm since it started early this morning.

10.4*C; 994.2mb falling rapidly.

As I commented in this week's Gavin's Thoughts thread, while we are being blown all over the place by Storm Ciara, at least it is mild.  Though it's not really the conditions for going outside and enjoying it, but rather for hunkering down inside.

On the rainfall radar I noticed a clear squall line diagonally across the Irish Sea from the SE coast of Ireland to the Lancashire Coast, which I guess might well produce the strongest, most (potentially) damaging winds where it comes over later in the day.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
richardabdn
09 February 2020 10:34:51

Originally Posted by: howham 

We seem to be under a protective dome here. No rain or much of any wind.

It's the NE weather Black Hole in action yet again. We have had wind and rain here though. Enough to be thoroughly unpleasant but no where near enough to be of any interest.

Only two Sundays out of the last eight have managed more than half an hour of sunshine and it's grey, miserable and depressing yet again. So not only is this winter useless for an entire absence of snow, useless for a lack of frost and useless for the relentless westerly winds, it's useless for having the Weekend Curse in it's full blown horror yet again. In fact there has been pretty much no respite from this hideous curse since April - only change has been that the focus of misery has shifted from Saturday for much of 2019 to Sunday now 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
ARTzeman
09 February 2020 11:47:07

Cloudy Drizzle Rain

9.4c Humidity 94% Rh

989 hPa. SW Breeze 25 mph.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
dagspot
09 February 2020 11:47:09
Temp 6 dc gusty winds squally showers. Typical winter fayre here
Neilston 600ft ASL
fullybhoy
09 February 2020 11:57:29
Blue skies here, and a bit blowy at times, not too bad here at all
Aldo
Glasgow 165m/asl

johncs2016
09 February 2020 12:00:16
The main area of rain cleared away fairly quickly this morning with the Sun then coming out. That has resulted in a total of 18 minutes of sunshine being recorded for today so far as at 11am this morning.

However, there are still a number of squally blustery showers coming through which are turning out to be quite heavy at times with the wind at Edinburgh Gogarbank now gusting up to 47.2mph from the SW as at 11am this morning.

In addition to that, the pressure at Edinburgh Gogarbank was now down to 961.9mb and still falling, as at 11am this morning.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 11am this morning was around 10°C here in Edinburgh.
ktaylor
09 February 2020 12:30:09

Good afternoon overnight low of 8.9c. Currently 11.7c. Humidity 94%. Air pressure 992.9mb. Dew point 11.0c. Wind max speed recorded 38mph. Last 10mins 31mph gust. Rain says 32.2mm last 24hr think that's to do with the wind

Come on you spurs
Save ryarsh stop the quarry
https://www.ryarshprotectiongroup.com 
johncs2016
09 February 2020 14:46:45
The rain has gone for now, and it has brightened up with the result that a total of 1.4 hours of sunshine has now been recorded for today so far at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 2pm this afternoon.

As at 2pm this afternoon though, those earlier showers have brought a further 2.2 mm of rain to Edinburgh Gogarbank since 9am this morning with a further 1.8 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank. That makes today, yet another official rain day at both of those stations although on this occasion, we are at least unlikely to see anything like those ridiculously high totals which we had during the previous 24 hour period.

Although it's much brighter now though, the wind has continued to pick up and was now gusting up to 56.5mph at Edinburgh Gogarbank at 2pm this afternoon and although that isn't as bad as what it has been in other parts of the country, that is still enough to make today our windiest day of this winter so far. Furthermore, it was a real struggle to walk home against that wind after doing a bit of shopping and not surprisingly, there is hardly a soul around here as a result who is about and about just now.

Meanwhile, the pressure at Edinburgh at 2pm was now down to 961.0mb, although that is probably now about as low as it is going to get here.

Meanwhile, the temperature at 2pm was around 9°C here in Edinburgh, but still up into double figures at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

ARTzeman
09 February 2020 15:22:48

Some blue sky has appeared. Will not be like that for very long.

10.8 c but not feeling mild. Humidity 76% Rh.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Tim A
09 February 2020 15:30:03
9.7c and partly cloudy.
48mm rain since yesterday evening.
Wind strong and more westerly now. 45mph gusts
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

johncs2016
09 February 2020 15:43:12

Winds at Edinburgh Gogarbank now gusting up to 57.8mph from the WSW, but the pressure is now starting to rise again and was up to 962.0mb at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 3pm this afternoon.

This implies that we should now have just about seen the worst of this storm, although some further showers have just moved in during the last wee while.

EDIT:

As I write, we now have a nice looking rainbow to my east as a result of being at the back end of one of those showers and the Sun has already come back out.

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
09 February 2020 15:58:20

So far it has been a fairly standard winter storm with winds not gusting much over 30mph.  Rainfall total now 11.4mm but that might be under-reading because the rain has been blowing across almost horizontally.  Pressure has continued to drop steadily during the day and is now 985.4mb.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
Tim A
09 February 2020 20:08:56
52mm rain in the last 24 hours. Many local roads have been flooded and there are issues with the rivers too.
40mph gusts now and 6.3c.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl