johncs2016
08 February 2020 01:44:36

After a fairly nice day during yesterday which ended up being our sunniest day of this month so far with a total of 4.5 hours of sunshine at Edinburgh Gogarbank, everything is now already starting to get a bit wild ahead of Storm Ciara which isn't expected to arrive here for about another 24 hours.

The winds are getting stronger over time and at 1am this morning, were already gusting up to 33.6mph from the south at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

There has also been a little bit of rain but so far, this has amounted to just 0.2 mm at Edinburgh Gogarbank and 0.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

However, normal service for this winter has now been resumed as far as the temperatures are concerned. The temperatures have been rising as the night has gone on and so, the temperature here in Edinburgh at 1am this morning was now up to an almost ridiculously mild (for this time of year and night, anyway) 9°C which is higher than what it has been at any time during the last 24 hours or so.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Caz
  • Caz
  • Advanced Member
08 February 2020 07:37:55

Calm and clear with a beautiful morning snow moon!  4.3c

Market Warsop, North Nottinghamshire.
Join the fun and banter of the monthly CET competition.
Skreever
08 February 2020 08:03:47
Light cloud, a spit of rain

Wind SW strong breeze

Temp 4.5C
Veteran of winter of 62/63
By Scapa Flow, Orkney
marco 79
08 February 2020 08:42:50
Overcast and damp after earlier rain..5.1c..1013 mb .
Home : Mid Leicestershire ...135m ASL
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
08 February 2020 09:26:52

Low cloud cover, light W wind, 3.3mm of rain in the early hours now stopped.

8.4*C; 1014.2mb rising slightly.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
johncs2016
08 February 2020 09:55:10

The overnight rain cleared away after that has resulted in a total of just 0.8 mm of rain being recorded at Edinburgh Gogarbank along with 0.2 mm at the botanic gardens in Edinburgh.

Meanwhile, the Sun is now shining here in Edinburgh as I write and a total of 6 minutes of sunshine has already been recorded at Edinburgh Gogarbank as at 9am this morning.

There was quite a drop in the temperature as that initial cold front moved through but even with that, it remains much milder than at the same time yesterday as we have returned to our usual frost-free horror show once again.

The wind has died down a bit for now, after gusting up to a maximum of 40.4mph from the WSW during the night, although it is still fairly windy just now as I write.

Last night's overnight minim temperature was 4.1°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank, and the temperature at 9am this morning was around 4°C.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
idj20
08 February 2020 12:55:58

Rather overcast, also damp from 0.6 mm of rain earlier on this morning. The current 9.8 c (90% h) are feeling mild in uncannily light winds.

Amazing how different it will be by this time tomorrow. 

Folkestone Harbour. 
ARTzeman
08 February 2020 13:08:04

Broken clouds are building up and getting darker.

9.7c. Humidity 61%rh.

1015 hPa SSW Breeze 12 mph.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
Bertwhistle
08 February 2020 13:11:20

Mostly sunny, 12°C and those winds slowly cranking up. Beautiful outside though, with fairly dry air; some thin washing on the line!

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
ktaylor
08 February 2020 13:59:49

Sunny feeling warm light wind and fairly calm. 

Come on you spurs
Save ryarsh stop the quarry
https://www.ryarshprotectiongroup.com 
idj20
08 February 2020 15:33:31

Sunshine beaming into my famed west-facing hobby room, can feel the solar input. 9.2 c.

This time tomorrow I'll be feeling the wind buffering the house. 

Folkestone Harbour. 
ARTzeman
08 February 2020 15:40:38

Rays of Sunshine through broken clouds. 9.6c. Humidity 63% Rh 

1014 hPa. SSW Breeze 13 mph.

Some people walk in the rain.
Others just get wet.
I Just Blow my horn or trumpet
POD
  • POD
  • Advanced Member
08 February 2020 16:55:53

Patchy cloud, breeze picking up.

7.7c

1016.6mb rising

Pat, Crawley Down, West Sussex.
dagspot
08 February 2020 17:10:30
Dark, wet, windy. Temp 7dc
Neilston 600ft ASL
dagspot
08 February 2020 17:13:39

https://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/weather/current/EGPO.html

Big change Stornoway. Temp drop, gales, hail

Neilston 600ft ASL
johncs2016
08 February 2020 17:33:18

It's now getting a bit wild here in Edinburgh.

Earlier on though, it was breezy but mostly sunny and in the end, a total of 5.7 hours of sunshine was recorded for today at Edinburgh Gogarbank which makes today, our sunniest day of this year so far, and of this winter.

However, it then clouded over towards the latter part of this afternoon, and it is now raining here in Edinburgh as I write.

As it has clouded over, the wind has also picked up with maximum gusts at Edinburgh Gogarbank reaching 44.7mph from the SSW as at 5pm this afternoon.

This is clearly going to be a very wild and noisy night ahead due to the sould of that howling wind outside and so, this is not a night which I have been exactly looking forward to as that isn't going to make it easy for me to get much in the way of sleep later on.

As far as the temperatures are concerned, today's highest temperatures got up to a rather mild 9°C and the temperature at 5pm this afternoon was around 8°C here in Edinburgh.

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
08 February 2020 17:36:48

The cloud cleared here just around lunchtime and it has been a beautiful afternoon with light winds, warm sunshine, and at one point not a cloud in the sky.  It could have been early Spring, and when I went for a walk there were some daisies flowering in a patch of grass by the road.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
marting
08 February 2020 21:36:14

Just about still dry here in the lee of the Welsh mountains. Windy, but spitting on and off. The radar looks funny with rain all around the Wirral, but hardly a drop on it!

Martin

Martin
Greasby, Wirral.
roadrunnerajn
08 February 2020 22:00:16
Patchy rain, 9.6c winds gusting to 50mph at present.
Germoe, part of the breakaway Celtic Republic.
johncs2016
08 February 2020 22:17:59

The wind seems to have rather unexpectedly, died down all of a sudden in this part of the world after maximum gusts at Edinburgh Gogarbank had reached 50.3mph from the SSW just over an hour ago.

However, it is still absolutely chucking it down with rain here in Edinburgh as I write. In the space of just four hours, this particular event has produced a total of 10.0 mm of rain at Edinburgh Gogarbank, along with 9.8 mm at the botanic gardens as at 9pm tonight, plus a bit more during the following hour for which that actual total has still to come through from SEPA. Even without that though, this already makes today our wettest day of this month so far at both of those stations.

The temperature has generally also been refusing to drop during this evening, but there was quite a big drop in the temperature as the wind died down, as a result of a cold front moving through (it's just a shame that this weather front is expected to move back over here for a while by tomorrow morning).

As a result of that, the temperature at 10pm tonight was now down to around 5°C here in Edinburgh.