Bugglesgate
20 February 2020 12:00:10

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

Looks like that squal is begging to take shape over the south west midlands

Caught  the thin end of it here in South Oxfordshire.  Looks like  home (NW Hampshire) is soon going to cop the maximum white area - won't be there to see it though !

Chris (It,its)
Between Newbury and Basingstoke
"When they are giving you their all, some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy banging your heart against some mad buggers wall"
idj20
20 February 2020 12:28:02

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

Looks like that squal is begging to take shape over the south west midlands

Wonder if the one traversing through Hampshire will fizzle out over Kent - which is often the case with squall fronts coming in from the west. Will find out by around 3 pm.
For now, at least it is a dayitme event where I'm not losing out on sleep with radar watching - but of course that may be of little comfort for those dealing with the rush hour.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Tim A
20 February 2020 12:36:37
Quite a drop with the rain band from 9.2c to 3.2c, we had some back edge sleet.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Rob K
20 February 2020 13:12:03
Quite a serious band of rain just approaching London.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
picturesareme
20 February 2020 13:34:37
Half hour ago it was 9.8C with dp of 9C..

It's now 8.6C with dp of 7C. Quite a drop after the brief squall.
Bugglesgate
20 February 2020 13:58:03

Originally Posted by: picturesareme 

Half hour ago it was 9.8C with dp of 9C..

It's now 8.6C with dp of 7C. Quite a drop after the brief squall.

Guess when  squall passed over  us :-

http://www.elm.eru.rl.ac.uk/ins8.html

Chris (It,its)
Between Newbury and Basingstoke
"When they are giving you their all, some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy banging your heart against some mad buggers wall"
idj20
20 February 2020 15:29:52

The squall line/cold front has just arrived at this end of Kent - and right on cue . . . or at least what's left of it with a spell of blowy moderate rain and now seeing a notable temp drop to 7.9 c from 9.4 c in just a few minutes.

3.8 mm so far. 

Folkestone Harbour. 
Gusty
20 February 2020 15:38:15

Front just moved through here after a blowy couple of hours.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11/table/2020-02-20/2020-02-20/daily

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

johncs2016
21 February 2020 07:57:40

This morning has become very windy here in Edinburgh and at 7am this morning, the wind at Edinburgh Gogarbank was gusting up to 48.6mph from the SW with that continuing to increase over time.

Across the UK, I have noticed that the highest gusts so far according to xcweather are in NW Wales with gusts up to 60mph with that very same location again along with the Western Isles seeing the highest mean wind speed of 43mph.

To me, it would appear as though this particular weather system may well have been a good candidate for being officially named as Storm Ellen (which is the next name on that list) given that the wind appears to be stronger here, than what had been forecast. I have noticed though, that the Met Office are keeping a very close eye on an even deeper low pressure system which is set to arrive by Monday.

The models have been pointing towards that being the case for quite a while and so, I have been expecting that one to the one which is officially given that name (probably by Met Eireann this time, as they are probably a bit overdue now for naming one of these storms), although this hasn't happened yet as far as I know.

EDIT:

This morning's maximum wind gusts at Edinburgh Gogarbank now up to 55.3mph from the SW as at 8am this morning which is almost up to the sort of levels which we saw recently with Storm Ciara and Storm Dennis and these gusts aren't much less than what we saw with those two storms.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Crepuscular Ray
21 February 2020 18:51:17
Another horrendous cold wet day in Ilkley. Rain all day with gusts over 50mph and a max of 8 C.
It's getting so trying now with that howling wind and lashing rain pretty much consistent for over two weeks now and so much flooding. Over the last 72 hrs rainfall totals in Cumbria, N Lancs and the Yorkshire Dales have been 80-110mm so another 4 inches on top of Storm Ciara and Storm Dennis totals!!
Look North headlining with the ongoing floods. Hebden Bridge and York are on high alert again tonight 😟

Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Crepuscular Ray
21 February 2020 18:54:15
I am in a top floor flat on the edge of Ilkley Moor so the noise of these gusts and lashing rain is considerable! At least I don't have the worry of the residents down in the valley
Jerry
Russwirral
21 February 2020 23:43:16
Stormier than Ciara and Dennis for us right now.

Winds howling
johncs2016
22 February 2020 00:39:34
Another very wild and noisy night here in Edinburgh as it has become very difficult to sleep yet again due to the howling wind outside.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Crepuscular Ray
22 February 2020 06:27:23
I've not slept properly for 2 weeks with the noise. Last night in Wharfedale was as bad as the two big storms. 58mph at LBA and rain for last 24 hrs
Jerry
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
22 February 2020 07:48:26

Starting a new thread

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl