Russwirral
17 February 2020 20:09:34
The younger cousin? I think its gonna be worse. No sign of any let up at all.

Ive never had to say the word "squall" as much as i have the past 2 weeks.

Also prolonged rainfall from a stagnant/stalled front are usually a once every 2 or 3 yr event IMBY. Ive seen 3 or 4 since October.
Saint Snow
17 February 2020 20:39:04

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons 

We went for a quick visit to Short Ferry this afternoon.
Roger

Is it now Long Ferry?

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
idj20
17 February 2020 20:49:42

Originally Posted by: Russwirral 

The younger cousin? I think its gonna be worse. No sign of any let up at all.

Ive never had to say the word "squall" as much as i have the past 2 weeks.

Also prolonged rainfall from a stagnant/stalled front are usually a once every 2 or 3 yr event IMBY. Ive seen 3 or 4 since October.

With the winter of 13/14, it kick started with St Judes and was relentless from mid-December through to mid-March with no less than 11 "significant" storms, we'd be somewhere between Iris and Kitty using this year's storm names by now. I kept seeing 25 m/s wind speeds being forecast on several occasions, including one that lasted for almost three days straight.

With this current winter, after a relatively benign January, most of the storminess is occurring in the third and final month of the meteorological winter with the two significant storms (the first two in the first half of the season missed the southern half of the UK anyway) and the strongest wind speed I've experienced so far this season was a very short spell of 21 m/s in Ciara. Heck, I've even been able to comfortably do the first lawn mowing of the year two weeks ago - something I've never been able to do in Winter '13/14! Mind you, what probably didn't help matters as a whole was a much wetter than average November and December '19 where rain was much more of a feature than wind.

I just hope for our sakes that this wet and windy theme doesn't continue deep into March. 

Folkestone Harbour. 
Roger Parsons
17 February 2020 21:20:17

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Is it now Long Ferry?

Not yet - that was last time, Saint!

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/lincoln-news/last-flooded-short-ferry-road-3748470

Today:

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/6052

R

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
JHutch
17 February 2020 21:36:39

Originally Posted by: Maunder Minimum 

Just been watching Midlands Today - river levels in Worcester itself are forecast to peak tomorrow. Already, the levels recorded in July 2007 have been exceeded (although July 2007 was exceptional in itself, being high summer instead of winter).

Indeed, flood peak from the Severn headwaters is just approaching Shrewsbury at the moment. Level there is 4.80 metres, lower than the peak in 2000 when it reached 5.25 metres. 

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2036?direction=u

Not sure if the riverwaters subsided enough the other day to mean this is now the 6th flood in a winter at Worcester cricket ground. I suppose that there can be some quibbling about months where it was underwater for a long time rather than being separate events but having a flood five months in a row is pretty extreme. (no idea who the original source is but Dave Throup is the EA manager for Hereford and Worcs so i will take his word)

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
17 February 2020 22:12:29

I've just been for a recce round Tonbridge town centre, and there is some flooding in Sainsbury's car parks and the semi-basement garages of the flats between Waitrose and the minor river stream, but the river level is about a foot lower than it was in the floods a week before Christmas.  The water behind the Leigh Flood Barrier got to within 20cm of its maximum late this afternoon but is now falling slowly, so it looks as though we'll be OK this time.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
JHutch
18 February 2020 00:00:23

Link here showing expected peak heights and times on the Severn and Trent.

https://twitter.com/johncurtinEA/status/1229551682612318209

LeedsLad123
18 February 2020 04:02:28

We had thunder and hail around 8pm yesterday. I was in mid-nap and got startled by the hail on the window alone.

I really don’t want any more wind though. It’s pretty tiresome now. 

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
Bugglesgate
18 February 2020 05:35:47

Originally Posted by: LeedsLad123 

We had thunder and hail around 8pm yesterday. I was in mid-nap and got startled by the hail on the window alone.

I really don’t want any more wind though. It’s pretty tiresome now. 

Ditto - vile, destructive stuff !

Chris (It,its)
Between Newbury and Basingstoke
"When they are giving you their all, some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy banging your heart against some mad buggers wall"
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
18 February 2020 06:55:46

Originally Posted by: AJ* 

I've just been for a recce round Tonbridge town centre, and there is some flooding in Sainsbury's car parks and the semi-basement garages of the flats between Waitrose and the minor river stream, but the river level is about a foot lower than it was in the floods a week before Christmas.  The water behind the Leigh Flood Barrier got to within 20cm of its maximum late this afternoon but is now falling slowly, so it looks as though we'll be OK this time.

Just as well - imagine the chaos if the High St and inner relief road were closed this week while te A21 bypass is shut for repairs! (For those who don't know the are, it's the only A-road crossing the Medway for several miles in each direction)

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
18 February 2020 09:47:30

Originally Posted by: DEW 

Just as well - imagine the chaos if the High St and inner relief road were closed this week while te A21 bypass is shut for repairs! (For those who don't know the are, it's the only A-road crossing the Medway for several miles in each direction)

Yes, indeed!  It was chaotic enough yesterday morning, which was the first working day of the A21 closure, and there were queues everywhere, with the southbound one 6 miles long starting on the southern end of the Sevenoaks bypass, going all the way through Hildenborough.  The B roads and most of the lanes to the west of the town were closed by flooding, and the next A road through Edenbridge had roadworks with one-way working controlled by traffic lights that had stuck on red in both directions (as I found out myself). The only clear, unflooded route across the Medway and Eden valleys that I could find was through Ashurst and Hever.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
Darren S
18 February 2020 12:14:54

It's been bad around here in Berkshire too... the River Loddon burst its banks in several places, closing about 6 roads locally and causing massive traffic jams. I went to London from Winnersh Triangle station yesterday, and came back to find my regular route home closed, and had to join the displaced traffic for a half-hour 5 mile journey home.

This roundabout by the A329M was the problem:

More images here: https://www.wokinghampaper.co.uk/river-loddon-bursts-banks-causing-severe-flooding-across-winnersh-hurst-and-woodley/
And here: https://www.wokinghampaper.co.uk/winnersh-flooding-pictures-show-extent-of-flooding/

Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
The Beast from the East
18 February 2020 13:08:42

Originally Posted by: idj20 

With the winter of 13/14, it kick started with St Judes and was relentless from mid-December through to mid-March with no less than 11 "significant" storms, we'd be somewhere between Iris and Kitty using this year's storm names by now. I kept seeing 25 m/s wind speeds being forecast on several occasions, including one that lasted for almost three days straight.

With this current winter, after a relatively benign January, most of the storminess is occurring in the third and final month of the meteorological winter with the two significant storms (the first two in the first half of the season missed the southern half of the UK anyway) and the strongest wind speed I've experienced so far this season was a very short spell of 21 m/s in Ciara. Heck, I've even been able to comfortably do the first lawn mowing of the year two weeks ago - something I've never been able to do in Winter '13/14! Mind you, what probably didn't help matters as a whole was a much wetter than average November and December '19 where rain was much more of a feature than wind.

I just hope for our sakes that this wet and windy theme doesn't continue deep into March. 

In this location 2013/4 was the worst ever, but a lot of work has been done to make sure it doesn't happen again and it seems to be working. 

Just as well we didn't have silly storm names back then. 

"We have some alternative facts for you"
Kelly-Ann Conway - special adviser to the President
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
18 February 2020 20:20:07

Sussex Fire and Rescue saying that if they get a call from a stranded motorist on a closed road, and they know the water to be ankle deep, they will tell him/her to walk out.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Phil G
19 February 2020 08:31:33
All the headlines about Storm Dennis, but didn't Ciara lay the 'groundwork' for these floods and contributed to them. A subject that's occurred several times before but is having these storms named the best thing to do?
The headlines should be recent storms or just storms have caused this. But on the other hand is it easier for Joe Public to remember these, even if one alone did not cause the problems?
Maunder Minimum
19 February 2020 10:49:18

River now peaking in Bewdley:

New world order coming.
sunny coast
19 February 2020 16:13:22

Originally Posted by: Phil G 

All the headlines about Storm Dennis, but didn't Ciara lay the 'groundwork' for these floods and contributed to them. A subject that's occurred several times before but is having these storms named the best thing to do?
The headlines should be recent storms or just storms have caused this. But on the other hand is it easier for Joe Public to remember these, even if one alone did not cause the problems?

.   Indeed not to mention  5 months of virtually unrelenting wet weather! 

Crepuscular Ray
19 February 2020 17:21:35
Back in Ilkley and it's raining steadily once more. Looks like a lot falling upstream in the Dales and Lancs and Cumbria...not good 😢
Jerry
Edinburgh, in the frost hollow below Blackford Hill
Tim A
20 February 2020 09:30:20
Not much rain overnight here 2mm last 24 hours we have been on the edge of it.

However another squall line has just arrived, intense rainfall and some hail mixed in.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

Russwirral
20 February 2020 11:18:12
Looks like that squal is begging to take shape over the south west midlands