KevBrads1
25 January 2020 07:41:17
30 years ago.

Often called the Burns' Day Storm (its actually Burns Night), this was one of the worst gales to hit the UK in the last 50 years. The area that was affected by this storm was much greater than the October 1987 gale with many parts of England and Wales badly affected and unlike the October 1987 storm it was reasonably forecasted by the Met Office.
The weather for January 1990 had been very mild and changeable but the weather was to take a turn for the worst during the last week of January 1990 and was to herald a very stormy spell of weather with spells of severe gales, flooding and loss of life.
On the 24th of January, a rapidly deepening depression was approaching the UK and warnings was issued for the threat of severe gales. These gales duly arrived in the southwest during dawn and spread to the rest of England and Wales during the day, the severe gales reached the southeast during the afternoon. Wind gusts were reaching over 100mph in exposed parts and gusts of 80mph were recorded at inland weather stations, 108mph was recorded at Aberporth in Wales. The track of the low took it through southern Scotland, where its central pressure reached a low of 959mb. Scotland and Northern Ireland missed out on the worst of the gales.
Conditions were very severe in the south and this was compounded by the fact the gales occurred during daylight hours, when many people are out and about and as a result there were scores of injuries due to flying and broken glass, roof tiles, fallen branches and other debris. Sadly, 47 people lost their lives making it the worst weather related disaster in the UK since the Great Storm surge of January 1953. One lucky survivor was the actor Gorden Kaye from the TV Series 'Allo 'Allo who survived an advertising board crashing onto his car, which resulted in him having serious head injuries and putting him into a coma.
The damage done by the gales was enormous. Millions of trees were either damaged or uprooted blocking roads, scores of buildings suffered structural damage and the insurance costs were massive.
The Great Storm of January 25th 1990 is probably in the top 10 list of the severest gales ever to hit the UK.

Gorden Kaye as he was  before the accident

Strongest gusts recorded

Manchester Airport: 71mph
Birmingham Airport: 67mph
Gatwick: 83mph
Heathrow: 88mph
Crosby: 69mph
Cardiff Airport: 97mph

What a day that was, I remember being at the top of a double decker and the driver struggling against the wind that afternoon. Remember watching BBC's 6 O'clock News that evening and was shocked by how many had lost their lives. 

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
KevBrads1
25 January 2020 07:42:28

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
25 January 2020 08:00:52

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

What a day that was, I remember being at the top of a double decker and the driver struggling against the wind that afternoon. Remember watching BBC's 6 O'clock News that evening and was shocked by how many had lost their lives. 

What a day indeed, ranks in the top 3 of my most memorable weather events of all time. I was living in Leeds at the time and what was striking about this storm was the rapididy with which it developed as the wind swung round from the SW to the NW. From nothing to a ferocious gale in about 45mins. All the lights at work were flickering and then I walked home, right over the highest point in Leeds. That was an experience I will never forget and the like of which I may never see again. I do like walking in a good gale, I find it exhilarating but this was verging on the downright dangerous, was most certainly almost blown over a couple of times.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
KevBrads1
25 January 2020 08:25:56

Originally Posted by: Col 

What a day indeed, ranks in the top 3 of my most memorable weather events of all time. I was living in Leeds at the time and what was striking about this storm was the rapididy with which it developed as the wind swung round from the SW to the NW. From nothing to a ferocious gale in about 45mins. All the lights at work were flickering and then I walked home, right over the highest point in Leeds. That was an experience I will never forget and the like of which I may never see again. I do like walking in a good gale, I find it exhilarating but this was verging on the downright dangerous, was most certainly almost blown over a couple of times.

The Towyn flood storm, you rarely hear about this, a month later was  even worse up here. That was a hell of a gale, I remember waiting at a bus stop that morning  and seeing a wind gust rip the guttering off a building on the other side of the road and the wind then whipping up the debris and showering me in it. 

What a rollercoaster of weather that was from late January to early March 1990, there was snow, hail, thunder, lightning, gales, torrrential rain, unusually mild.

AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
25 January 2020 08:32:41

I remember hearing about the incident in which Gordon Kaye was injured, but I don't have particular recollections of this storm.  Perhaps the likely explanation for this is that everything around here that was going to blow down had already gone in Oct '87 and what remained upright after that was going to survive this storm without a problem.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
Roger Parsons
25 January 2020 08:53:07

Originally Posted by: AJ* 

I remember hearing about the incident in which Gordon Kaye was injured, but I don't have particular recollections of this storm.  Perhaps the likely explanation for this is that everything around here that was going to blow down had already gone in Oct '87 and what remained upright after that was going to survive this storm without a problem.

You are correct AJ - Gordon Kaye suffered a head injury in 1990. For that and more of the storm, see:

https://www.theguardian.com/fromthearchive/story/0,12269,1398114,00.html

He died in 2017

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/757830/Gorden-Kaye-dead-Rene-Artois-Allo-Allo-head-injury-car-accident-1990-storm

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
lanky
25 January 2020 09:34:13

I was working in Blackfriars at the time and had an office overlooking the river next to Blackfriars Bridge

The wind as so strong I saw a phenomenon I have only ever seen on that one day - huge clouds racing down the river made up of water picked up off the surface of the river by the strength of the wind

On Blackfriars Bridge itself a pedestrian was blown off his feet and into the road but quick action from passers by prevented a serious injury

An amazing day

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
KevBrads1
25 January 2020 09:51:24

Originally Posted by: lanky 

I was working in Blackfriars at the time and had an office overlooking the river next to Blackfriars Bridge

The wind as so strong I saw a phenomenon I have only ever seen on that one day - huge clouds racing down the river made up of water picked up off the surface of the river by the strength of the wind

Yeah, I remember seeing a photo of a group of Bobbies in their uniforms rowing on the Thames in front of the House of Commons with wind whipping spray off the Thames. It looked choppy! They were rehearsing for some charity event.

LeedsLad123
25 January 2020 10:00:33

Max gust of 94mph at Leeds Weather Centre on that day according to historical data, with a max sustained speed of 51mph.

An even higher gust of 98mph was recorded a month later though on February 26th, with a max sustained speed of 63mph. Can any other English city best that? For an inland city Leeds can be very windy.

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
scillydave
25 January 2020 10:05:18
I won't ever forget that day. My mum was driving us down the country lanes to school when a large old oak tree directly in front of us was toppled by a gust of wind. My mum slammed on the brakes and we came to a halt in the outer branches of the tree which was by now blocking the road entirely.
I'll never forget what she did next - without a word she put the car into reverse and we went back down the lane, still in reverse, all the way to the main road some mile and a half distant!
Looking back on it we were extraordinarily lucky - a second later and we would've been killed.
Currently living at roughly 65m asl North of Cowbridge in the Vale of Glamorgan.

Formerly of, Birdlip, highest village in the Cotswolds and snow heaven in winter; Hawkinge in Kent - roof of the South downs and Isles of Scilly, paradise in the UK.
Ally Pally Snowman
25 January 2020 10:27:37

Originally Posted by: scillydave 

I won't ever forget that day. My mum was driving us down the country lanes to school when a large old oak tree directly in front of us was toppled by a gust of wind. My mum slammed on the brakes and we came to a halt in the outer branches of the tree which was by now blocking the road entirely.
I'll never forget what she did next - without a word she put the car into reverse and we went back down the lane, still in reverse, all the way to the main road some mile and a half distant!
Looking back on it we were extraordinarily lucky - a second later and we would've been killed.

Not quite as dramatic as your story but I remember this day so clearly cant believe its 30 years ago. Living in Sussex I was eleven, school had been cancelled so I was playing in the wind with my sister in the garden as you do when suddenly 20 odd tiles blew off our neighbours roof and smashed into our garage door noise was incredible. We were very lucky. Also no school or power for about a week .

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
25 January 2020 10:28:53

Originally Posted by: LeedsLad123 

Max gust of 94mph at Leeds Weather Centre on that day according to historical data, with a max sustained speed of 51mph.

An even higher gust of 98mph was recorded a month later though on February 26th, with a max sustained speed of 63mph. Can any other English city best that? For an inland city Leeds can be very windy.

I don't remember that one at all so I dug out my old 1990 diary and that day's entry begins 'Was woken at about six by a fierce gale that was roaring over the house.....' I comment that it almost but not quite seemed to reach the strength of the Jan 25th storm. I even quote the 98mph gust at Leeds Weather Centre!

Sheffield perhaps, being really tucked in against the Pennines, lee effect and all that. Bradford I guess would be similar. I think one of Bradford City's floodlights blew down once.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
idj20
25 January 2020 10:41:45

That.

While it certainly blew a gale on 25th Jan '90 along the South Coast, it wasn't at the same level as the Great Storm of Oct '87. Damage by the St Burn's Day storm was relatively limited here at this end of Kent and we recovered pretty quickly from that, while it took months - if not years - to straighten everything up after the Great Oct '87 storm and some of the "scars" can still be seen today but the death toll could have been a lot higher had it occurred during the day. 

On the day of the St Burn's Day storm, I was working as a council gardener at the coastal park (Lower Sandgate Road) which is a pretty exposed place at the best of times and us four workers spent the day huddled in the works garage watching bits of twigs and small branches getting blown across the road and "water devils" being whipped up over the sea, but like I said damage was surprisingly sparse since there was little left to break or fall after the Oct '87 storm. When it was knocking off time at 4.30 pm the wind was subsiding by then.  Although I think the westerly component of the wind is what probably shielded us from the worst of the gales at our location.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Saint Snow
25 January 2020 12:56:52

I also have no specific recollection of this 

It's becoming a theme with me 

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
splinter
25 January 2020 19:03:16

I remember this well, can't believe it was 30 years ago. I was at secondary school and struggled to stay on my feet walking to school. At lunchtime we were kept in and I remember everyone to rushing to the windows to watch some trees being uprooted outside. We then had a special assembly and were sent home early, even though the storm was still going! Not sure how they made that decision.

Croydon, South London
GezM
  • GezM
  • Advanced Member
26 January 2020 12:13:54
I was working in Central London on this day. I worked in a 1960s building with long corridors and offices running off them. I happened to be on my own in my office that day and didn't realise just how windy it was getting. When I walked down the corridor to find a colleague I found out that the building was empty. A caretaker saw me and asked what I was still doing at work! Turns out everybody else had been told to go home because all the mainline train stations were closing due to the storm. Nobody had told me! Of course this was before emails and mobile phones. My journey home was interesting to say the least.....
Living in St Albans, Herts (116m asl)
Working at Luton Airport, Beds (160m asl)