johncs2016
10 February 2020 14:00:44

Originally Posted by: Rob K 

Pretty sure that was towards the end of February. Just checked and it was Feb 25. The start of Feb 2019 was actually very wintry down here, as I have mentioned before (19cm of snow at Odiham on the 1st).

I couldn't remember exactly when that happened, but I was at least right about the month.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
richardabdn
10 February 2020 18:28:53

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Even with this little bit of wintry weather which we are experiencing just now, this has still been one of the worst winters overall in terms of any cold weather or snow, which I can remember. However, we also can't forget that just about a year ago almost to this very day, the south of England actually had its warmest winter day on record with the temperatures going all the way above 21°C.

I think that we can therefore be a bit grateful at least, that there are no signs of that happening again this year.

It hasn’t been one of the worst here. It has been the absolute worst by a country mile. Even February 1989 produced days with snow falling. 1934 had nothing until late February but it seems as though we will surpass that now as the dross is just relentless. It’s just a horror show of epic proportions in which every single week brings the same mind-numbing bone dry, sunny, windy, westerly garbage ad nauseum like nothing we ever used to get

It is so staggeringly bad there are no words for it. A snowless winter here tends to be one in which there are very few days of lying snow none of which attain a depth of say 5cm. That is the very worst you should be expecting here but this one hasn’t even produced a flake. Even as far inland as Aboyne there has been no snow. It's incredulous 

I don’t think I have ever experienced a totally snowless spring never mind winter. Even the warmest of Springs like 2011 still managed to produce a temporary covering on 12th March and we can’t even get a flake during this supposed winter. It’s off the scale as far as horror seasons go. It would be the equivalent of failing to reach 20C during an entire year and the way things are going it wouldn’t surprise me if that happened this year. No depths are too low to be plumbed any more

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
tallyho_83
11 February 2020 02:29:23

Originally Posted by: richardabdn 

It hasn’t been one of the worst here. It has been the absolute worst by a country mile. Even February 1989 produced days with snow falling. 1934 had nothing until late February but it seems as though we will surpass that now as the dross is just relentless. It’s just a horror show of epic proportions in which every single week brings the same mind-numbing bone dry, sunny, windy, westerly garbage ad nauseum like nothing we ever used to get

It is so staggeringly bad there are no words for it. A snowless winter here tends to be one in which there are very few days of lying snow none of which attain a depth of say 5cm. That is the very worst you should be expecting here but this one hasn’t even produced a flake. Even as far inland as Aboyne there has been no snow. It's incredulous 

I don’t think I have ever experienced a totally snowless spring never mind winter. Even the warmest of Springs like 2011 still managed to produce a temporary covering on 12th March and we can’t even get a flake during this supposed winter. It’s off the scale as far as horror seasons go. It would be the equivalent of failing to reach 20C during an entire year and the way things are going it wouldn’t surprise me if that happened this year. No depths are too low to be plumbed any more

At least Edinburgh has seen lying snow this winter albeit very briefly!

As for Aberdeen? Isn't this the coldest part - surely you must have caught a snow shower at the very least Rich?

I know NW highlands is the place but surely you saw something white from this colder snap??

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

johncs2016
11 February 2020 05:26:39

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

At least Edinburgh has seen lying snow this winter albeit very briefly!

As for Aberdeen? Isn't this the coldest part - surely you must have caught a snow shower at the very least Rich?

I know NW highlands is the place but surely you saw something white from this colder snap??

To a certain extent, Richard might have a point when it comes to seeing some white stuff because if you have studied the rain radar maps over the last couple of days, you may well have spotted that very little of the precipitation which we have been seeing during that period, has actually been getting all the way through to locations in the east of Scotland such as the city of Aberdeen and the Aberdeenshire council area.

According to weathercast.co.uk, the nearest major station to Aberdeen where sunshine is reported is at Dyce where this is shown by the fact that a total of 7.2 hours of sunshine was recorded there during yesterday (which is far more than what we have had at Edinburgh Gogarbank on any day during this winter so far) with nothing at all in the way of rainfall.

This means that whilst Richard might well have not seen any snow during the last day or so, he would have at least been able to enjoy a nice, sunny day during yesterday and possibly, a better chance of getting an official air frost which we hardly ever get here in Edinburgh these days.

Here in Edinburgh on the other hand, it is a different story because despite also being in the east of Scotland, it is actually more exposed to winds from the west than what it is to winds from the SE because when the wind is from the SE, we are sheltered by the Lammermuir Hills but when the wind is from the west, there are no mountains in the way at all, and everything just gets blown in this direction through the Forth-Clyde Valley.

The rain radar maps over the last day or so, picks that out clearly as this has been the only part of the east of Scotland as a result, which all of this precipitation has been able to reach on a regular basis. From that, our main issue now is the question of whether or not, it is ever going to stop raining here because with the way that this is going, we could well be on course for this month to end up being our wettest February on record.

At the same time, Richard also reported in January's PW thread that January was a very dry month in his part of the world whereas we haven't had a significantly drier than average month here in Edinburgh since last April. We also haven't had a drier than average season since the winter of 2018/19 and this winter is about to go down as our wettest winter since 2015/16 regardless of what happens from now on.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
11 February 2020 07:12:47
I’m saving the “mind numbingly bone dry, sunny” from richardabdn for posterity. I wouldn’t have minded mind numbingly bone dry sunny weather down here even if it were windy and westerly.

Let’s hope Aberdeen stays that way into the summer.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
doctormog
11 February 2020 07:39:38

No frosts due to the wind and not a flake of snow (as expected) due to the wind direction. I’m also not about being able to enjoy a nice sunny day unless you like hypothermia.

I’m not sure that in my 26 years in Aberdeen I have witnessed an entirely snowless winter. As for summer, yes I’m sure the unpleasantly cool windy weather might occur.