fairweather
24 January 2020 01:25:05

Originally Posted by: ballamar 

The problem with this thread is it isn’t over - there is plenty of winter left cold bottled up a slight warming could release it. I am a little confident it will happen

But then you always are. 

S.Essex, 42m ASL
KevBrads1
24 January 2020 06:45:40

Can we still get wintry spells, yes?  However, I can't see a notable wintry spell happening now. When I mean notable I mean " the Beast from the East", the first part of January 2010, December 2010 etc. 

So as regards to the chances of a notable wintry spell, winter is over for me. Doesn't feel like it is going to happen. 

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
24 January 2020 09:06:50

Originally Posted by: idj20 

The dozens of local sparrows around my house have been chirping on a daily basis all through this "Winter", even when it was dull and wet. Although they are spoilt with bird feeders, I get to see loads of fat balls in other people's back yards.

Oh Ian! That's no way to talk about your neighbours.

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
Rob K
24 January 2020 10:56:44
The long range models have, if it's possible, got even more boring in recent days.
Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome
Bolty
24 January 2020 16:26:57
I've noticed that there's been a dawn chorus this week. I've heard it in late February/early March before, but not in mid-January. Just shows how lacking cold weather has been this winter.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
Roger Parsons
24 January 2020 16:38:29

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

I've noticed that there's been a dawn chorus this week. I've heard it in late February/early March before, but not in mid-January. Just shows how lacking cold weather has been this winter.

Tradition has it that birds pair up on St Valentine's day, Bolty, which is not far off.

https://folklore-society.com/miscellany/valentines/

Robins and Blue Tits are already making a racket and they secure their territories. Other species too. Conservation organisations hold their Dawn Chorus events in May, but this is more for the sake of the humans and the lighter mornings.

International Dawn Chorus Day 2020

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/dawn-chorus-day

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Frank H
24 January 2020 16:39:57

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

Can we still get wintry spells, yes?  However, I can't see a notable wintry spell happening now. When I mean notable I mean " the Beast from the East", the first part of January 2010, December 2010 etc. 

So as regards to the chances of a notable wintry spell, winter is over for me. Doesn't feel like it is going to happen. 

Where is the Manchester winter index standing at present ?

Wrightington, Wigan
Essan
24 January 2020 16:40:46

Avalanche in the Scottish Highlands!   

Don't get excited though ......  SAIS "described it as a "typical spring full depth avalanche that's gone to depth" caused by water penetrating the snow pack and "lubricating" the ground beneath."

The sort of thing we normally see in April

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-51221477?SThisFB&fbclid=IwAR2tWmbLPqAPgScN1Gv6M9mZS9slYAMEYpjN7k8v8NAtGmW4BFCau215CG0

(spot the snow if you can in the picture!)

Andy
Evesham, Worcs, Albion - 35m asl
Weather & Earth Science News 

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job - DNA
Bolty
24 January 2020 16:44:36

Originally Posted by: Roger Parsons 

Tradition has it that birds pair up on St Valentine's day, Bolty, which is not far off.

https://folklore-society.com/miscellany/valentines/

Robins and Blue Tits are already making a racket and they secure their territories. Other species too. Conservation organisations hold their Dawn Chorus events in May, but this is more for the sake of the humans and the lighter mornings.

International Dawn Chorus Day 2020

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/dawn-chorus-day

Roger

Interesting, didn't know that!

Scott
My weather station 
Roger Parsons
24 January 2020 16:52:10

Originally Posted by: Bolty 

Interesting, didn't know that!

I thought the link on Valentines was quite entertaining! R

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
Gusty
25 January 2020 10:08:17

I've seen enough....I'm pulling the plug on 'winter 2019/20'.

....as per the words of the dragons in dragons den.

'and for that reason I am out' 

Steve - Folkestone, Kent
Current conditions from my Davis Vantage Vue
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IFOLKE11 
Join Kent Weather on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/stevewall69/ 

TimS
  • TimS
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
08 February 2020 09:52:31
8 days into February and I think we can now safely conclude on the meteorological winter.

Assuming models are right, I’d be interested to know where this one will sit in the least snowy winters of all time. There have been a handful of frosts, but not even a sleety flake down here and scarcely any hill snow further north and west.
Brockley, South East London 30m asl
warrenb
08 February 2020 09:54:30
Something has to start for it to end. A few frosts does not a winter make.
johncs2016
08 February 2020 10:13:20

Originally Posted by: warrenb 

Something has to start for it to end. A few frosts does not a winter make.

Agreed. That's something which we can easily get in this part of the world, during the spring or autumn after all. This means that we would need a lot more than that, to have had any sort of "winter" whatsoever and here in Edinburgh, we actually had far more frosts during the autumn than what we have had during this winter (there were 11 official air frosts at Edinburgh Gogarbank during the autumn of 2019 compared to just 6 during this winter so far at that same station).

In addition to that, our codest temperatures of the combined autumn/winter period haven't even happened during this actual winter, and that shows just how poor this so-called winter has been in terms of any sort of cold weather.

For the record, the coldest night at Edinburgh Gogarbank so far during that period was -5.6°C on 19 November 2019, and the coldest day during that same period was on 30 November 2019 with a maximum temperature of 3.0°C at Edinburgh Gogarbank.

The preceding winter of 2018/19 was also very poor but even during that winter, the temperatures were lower during January and February than what they have been during this year, with far more in the way of air frosts.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Tom Oxon
09 February 2020 21:20:08

Originally Posted by: TimS 

8 days into February and I think we can now safely conclude on the meteorological winter.

Assuming models are right, I’d be interested to know where this one will sit in the least snowy winters of all time. There have been a handful of frosts, but not even a sleety flake down here and scarcely any hill snow further north and west.

2nd year in a row where there's not been a flake IMBY. Considering we are inland and central it is very unusual.  My son will be 2.5 years old at the start of next winter and will have never seen a snowflake.

S Warwickshire countryside, c.375ft asl.
tallyho_83
09 February 2020 23:24:03
What winter?! - Just continuous autumn down here and for many parts of England at least.

Meanwhile Oslo, Norway - Measured +7c 00:00 am Monday:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3143244 

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Bolty
09 February 2020 23:33:15
Not often you get a winter that is more notable for a thunder event than a snow event.
Scott
My weather station 
fairweather
10 February 2020 00:07:51

I think the middle of next week will be the snowiest of the winter and quite significant for a day or two in the North, more likely on higher ground. This will not however constitute anything other than confirming it has been abject for snow lovers. 

S.Essex, 42m ASL
johncs2016
10 February 2020 10:40:32
Even with this little bit of wintry weather which we are experiencing just now, this has still been one of the worst winters overall in terms of any cold weather or snow, which I can remember. However, we also can't forget that just about a year ago almost to this very day, the south of England actually had its warmest winter day on record with the temperatures going all the way above 21°C.

I think that we can therefore be a bit grateful at least, that there are no signs of that happening again this year.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Rob K
10 February 2020 13:53:12

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

Even with this little bit of wintry weather which we are experiencing just now, this has still been one of the worst winters overall in terms of any cold weather or snow, which I can remember. However, we also can't forget that just about a year ago almost to this very day, the south of England actually had its warmest winter day on record with the temperatures going all the way above 21°C.

I think that we can therefore be a bit grateful at least, that there are no signs of that happening again this year.

Pretty sure that was towards the end of February. Just checked and it was Feb 25. The start of Feb 2019 was actually very wintry down here, as I have mentioned before (19cm of snow at Odiham on the 1st).

Yateley, NE Hampshire, 73m asl
"But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand." — Jerome K. Jerome