bradders
  • bradders
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
17 January 2020 16:17:40

There is a brilliant photo on Facebook of a street in Macc with huge snowdrifts.

Go to Facebook, choose the Macclesfield Memories page and scroll down to the photo, posted on 12th January by Ann Marie Benson. It appears it was the winter of 1962/63. I lived in Macclesfield then but strangely i don`t remember anything about that winter.

Eric. Cheadle Hulme, Stockport.
Joe Bloggs
17 January 2020 18:08:16

Hi Eric,

I’d love to see the picture but I think it’s a private group? 

Any chance the admins over there would be ok with you linking to it directly? 

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

Saint Snow
17 January 2020 21:57:05

When my eldest was younger, each winter we'd go sledging on the slopes between Kettleshulme and Rainow. We stumbled on it first time by accident - I'd dropped Mrs S off at the Trafford Centre and me and daughter 1 (No2 hadn't joined us yet, so I think we're talking winter 06/7, and daughter 1 was just 3 y/o) went to Lyme Park for a bit of sledging - I was gambling it was snowy there with a bit of altitude, because MBY had had nothing but heavy rain & sleet, despite the BBC forecast and charts suggesting it was borderline at low altitude and full-on snow higher up. But when we got to LP, there was only a thin mushy covering of wet snow, the ppn was veering between wet snow and sleet, and about a thousand people were crammed onto the slopes, so I decided to head into the hills, on the off chance we could find a quieter place to sledge, and possibly better quality snow

Turned right onto the road for Kettleshulme, which begins to ascend steadily but not steeply. After only half a mile or so, there was a change in the weather - proper snow was falling and there was white snow on the verges. The higher we climbed, the deeper the lying snow and by the time we into the fells proper, you could see where the plough had sliced through the lying snow - which was about 2 foot deep at the side of the road, plus the ploughed snow piled on top; in parts the snow was taller than our car (a medium-sized 4x4) and you couldn't see over it. Problem was, the ploughed gap in the road was only just wide enough for two cars to pass, and no way could you stop & park up so I had to just keep driving. Never having driven that road before, I was getting a bit concerned and then, on the opposite side of the road, spotted a large layby, partly protected from the snow by large trees overhanging. I pulled in, and the snow there was *only* about 6" deep.

We got our snow gear on, grabbed the sledge and, with me carrying daughter and sledge, crossed the road to where a large slope awaited - with nobody else around. There'd been a strongish wind to accompany the snow, so drifting meant it was difficult to assess the average depth, but I'd say at least a foot. There was a wide metal gate partially buried by the snow that we had to get over so I lifted my daughter over it and, as I set her down, she sank up to her waist. I climbed over and, me again carrying daughter, began to walk towards the slope. There must have been a dip in the ground filled with snow because after a few steps, although the top of the snow was level, I found myself waist-deep in snow (I'm 6' tall) and fell over. We both burst out laughing and daughter wanted to make a snowman first so we staggered to a less deep part and began to roll a ball. It was that sticky snow that's perfect for huge snowballs but I was still amazed that within about 15 feet we had a [rather misshapen] ball a good 4-5 feet in diameter and me unable to budge it anymore. A smaller ball made the head, but there was nothing visible to give it any face!

The snow on the exposed slope was less deep - perhaps 5-6" - and great for sledging. But energy-sapping to climb back up (pulling daughter behind me in the sledge) so we only had about 10 runs down. By the time we were leaving, another dad and child had arrived to sledge as well. Back in the car, we put the heater on full, got our wet over-gear off, I wrapped her in a big blanket, strapped her into her seat again, and off we went to pick mum up and excitedly tell her about our adventure. On the drive back, I was able to take in more of the snowy detail.

We went back to the same area a few times more in subsequent winters, but the snow was never anything like as deep. Then the 09/10 and 10/11 winters came, and we could sledge closer to home. Daughter 2 never took to the snow when she was little; didn't like being cold. She loves it now, though - if only we could get some to fall, stick and stay around for a few weeks!!!

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Darren S
17 January 2020 22:52:38

Originally Posted by: bradders 

There is a brilliant photo on Facebook of a street in Macc with huge snowdrifts.

Go to Facebook, choose the Macclesfield Memories page and scroll down to the photo, posted on 12th January by Ann Marie Benson. It appears it was the winter of 1962/63. I lived in Macclesfield then but strangely i don`t remember anything about that winter.

Right-click on the image, copy the image's address and then embed it in here. I think all images on Facebook are public if you know the URL.

For example:

Darren
Crowthorne, Berks (87m asl)
South Berks Winter Snow Depth Totals:
2022/23 7 cm; 2021/22 1 cm; 2020/21 13 cm; 2019/20 0 cm; 2018/19 14 cm; 2017/18 23 cm; 2016/17 0 cm; 2015/16 0.5 cm; 2014/15 3.5 cm; 2013/14 0 cm; 2012/13 22 cm; 2011/12 7 cm; 2010/11 6 cm; 2009/10 51 cm
Joe Bloggs
18 January 2020 09:29:10

Brilliant account there Saint.

It’s a lovely part of the world and I have a lot of memories there too.

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
06 February 2020 15:11:28

Macclesfield may be difficult to look at but one of these skaters could have been me, enjoying myself rather than working in my final year, 1963

https://i2-prod.cambridge-news.co.uk/incoming/article14041211.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/River-Cam-1963.jpg

and even the city centre hockey pitches on Parkers Piece froze after a short thaw, giving a public outdoor rink, lit by street lights

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nevillenewman/8415303850/

More pictures on the Cambridge Evening News website, from various snowy winters there, doesn't seem possible now 

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/history/cambridge-snow-weather-white-christmas-14041202

Macclesfield - there used to be great sledging down into the Goyt valley ca 1970 but the poiice were unsympathetic and moved you on if you parked on the A537 Cat and Fiddle road anywhere with a white line - which is most of it.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Saint Snow
06 February 2020 15:26:11

Great pics, DEW

But the second one on this link appears to be a future Brexit voter

Originally Posted by: DEW 

More pictures on the Cambridge Evening News website, from various snowy winters there, doesn't seem possible now 

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/history/cambridge-snow-weather-white-christmas-14041202

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
06 February 2020 15:34:19

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

But the second one on this link appears to be a future Brexit voter

The National Front in the 1970s were using the slogan shown  (any similarity of initials to the current Brexit Party leader is purely coincidental)

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl