KevBrads1
26 February 2020 07:42:33

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

I can't recall a February as wet as this around here. It has been almost relentless and an extended dry period would be welcome.

An area around north Wales, northern England and  Northern Ireland have had an exceptionally wet February. A number of stations  in the area have probably broken their February rainfall records. NW England and north Wales have been extraordinarily wet.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Saint Snow
26 February 2020 09:40:17

An area around north Wales, northern England and  Northern Ireland have had an exceptionally wet February. A number of stations  in the area have probably broken their February rainfall records. NW England and north Wales have been extraordinarily wet.

Is that uniform throughout NW England?

I might be wrong, but it 'feels' like a fairly big area of Cheshire/Merseyside/Gtr Manchester has benefited from being in a rain shadow from the N Wales mountains, as the flow has been predominantly from the SW quadrant. Obviously as the wind direction has been changeable in recent days, it's meant more ppn for this area, though.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Frank H
26 February 2020 16:50:34

Not only the rain but the wind has added to the miserable feel this month.

152.5mm so far with 3 days to go

Still short of the 161.7mm here in Feb 2011, which was followed by a fairly dry March and April

Wrightington, Wigan
KevBrads1
26 February 2020 17:34:46

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Is that uniform throughout NW England?

I might be wrong, but it 'feels' like a fairly big area of Cheshire/Merseyside/Gtr Manchester has benefited from being in a rain shadow from the N Wales mountains, as the flow has been predominantly from the SW quadrant. Obviously as the wind direction has been changeable in recent days, it's meant more ppn for this area, though.

We'll have wait till the Met Office produce their rainfall maps for this month but a place like Crosby has had 238% of its February rainfall average so far

Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
Tim A
26 February 2020 19:32:33
Some rainfall figures:

Bingley 289mm (375%)
Blackpool 169mm
Crosby 130mm (238%)
Shap 539mm (325%)

Pennines and Dales worse affected I would say.

Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl

marting
26 February 2020 22:04:29

It has been very wet here with winter ponds overflowing which has not occurred for several years. No snow either yet and not looking good for overnight either! Moan moan - feel better now1

Martin

Martin
Greasby, Wirral.
Saint Snow
26 February 2020 22:16:56

We'll have wait till the Met Office produce their rainfall maps for this month but a place like Crosby has had 238% of its February rainfall average so far

Yeah, the maps will be interesting. 

I could well be wrong, but it doesn't feel as dramatically wet as many have suffered. 

Martin
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
lanky
26 February 2020 22:29:41

I could well be wrong, but it doesn't feel as dramatically wet as many have suffered. 

That's my gut feeling too - although I am too far away from the trouble spots to be definite so we will have to wait for the detailed Winter Rainfall data in March

I'm sure we have had wetter winters in the last 20 years so I am surprised by all these reports of highest ever river levels unless the exact location of the heaviest of the rain has been in the locations required to generate these levels

My instinct is that something else is severely exacerbating the problems

Martin
Richmond, Surrey
JHutch
26 February 2020 22:39:54

Just one spell of rain but if you run the video on then Storm Dennis shows a less wet area around parts of NW England

JHutch
26 February 2020 22:47:16

Originally Posted by: lanky 

That's my gut feeling too - although I am too far away from the trouble spots to be definite so we will have to wait for the detailed Winter Rainfall data in March

I'm sure we have had wetter winters in the last 20 years so I am surprised by all these reports of highest ever river levels unless the exact location of the heaviest of the rain has been in the locations required to generate these levels

My instinct is that something else is severely exacerbating the problems

Regarding the Severn, worth noting that the Welsh Uplands have had almost three times their normal February rainfall. Ground is just saturated at this time of year so a lot of the rain runs off into the rivers (although it should be noted that February's average is lower than months earlier in the autumn/winter). Am pretty sure that Dennis gave some areas record February daily rainfall (although a lot of it did fall in an individual 0900-0900 rainfall 'day.')

johncs2016
26 February 2020 22:54:07

Well, so much for this "colder" spell of weather which we are supposed to be in just now.

According to the forecast, tonight was supposed to clear and frosty here in Edinburgh and it was certainly meant to be dry according to that forecast.

Yet instead of that, it is overcast with some light rain as I write. There is also enough of a breeze to prevent any frost and so as per usual, the temperatures are once again refusing to drop here (in fact, the temperatures have actually gone up a bit over the last few hours).

You just couldn't really make that up and yet, that is just typical of how this so-called "winter" has gone in this part of the world.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
KevBrads1
27 February 2020 06:33:39

For me Saint, it has felt very wet, I don't think the Welsh mountains have produced that much protection this time

I believe Manchester has had 264% of its February rainfall average.

JHutch
27 February 2020 07:47:18

Some places are likely to have seen their wettest month in decades (of any month, not just February).

Jiries
27 February 2020 07:53:34

Originally Posted by: JHutch 

Some places are likely to have seen their wettest month in decades (of any month, not just February).

I do hope we had a very dry Spring and summer to make up after such a wet winter.  Never seen so much rain in Feb.

johncs2016
27 February 2020 08:09:33

Originally Posted by: Jiries 

I do hope we had a very dry Spring and summer to make up after such a wet winter.  Never seen so much rain in Feb.

A dry spell would certainly be very welcome now in these parts, although a dry summer would be even better especially if that then becomes a major part of that being a decent summer overall with above average temperatures and sunshine amounts.

For now though, I would be happy to just get a drier than average season as it has been so long ago now since we last had one here in this part of the world. Even if you take into account the rainfall deficit which built up during 2018 and the beginning of last year, we have probably had far more than enough rainfall just recently to take us into quite a substantial overall surplus which means that we could probably afford to have a drier season or two now without having to worry about going back into an overall deficit once again when it comes to rainfall.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
27 February 2020 08:43:07

Snow? What's that?

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
Saint Snow
27 February 2020 10:02:55

Originally Posted by: JHutch 

Just one spell of rain but if you run the video on then Storm Dennis shows a less wet area around parts of NW England

Thanks for that. And yes, I'm in that 'less wet area'.

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
LeedsLad123
27 February 2020 11:54:28
A nice sunny day - you can really feel the warmth of the sun now. Snow can do one as far as I’m concerned.
Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
andy-manc
27 February 2020 15:43:28

This has to have been the most snowless winter I've experienced. Other than about 5 wet small flakes today, I've not seen any more snow this winter. My 4 year old would love to build a snowman but we will have to wait yet another year.

It has been very wet this month but I don't think we have seen the levels of rain in my small area that some others have seen in the north west. I'd say it's been a pretty standard wet month. I feel like every day has been blustery this month which is starting to get on my nerves.

The lengthening days make me very ready for spring now.

JHutch
27 February 2020 17:12:16

The wetness of much of NW England/N Wales shows up in this plot (click on NWEP on the left hand side)

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadukp/charts/hadukp_daily_plots.html