Heavy Weather 2013
17 January 2020 16:35:21

Originally Posted by: Joe Bloggs 

I honestly couldn’t give a monkeys this year. 

I was distracted by politics in December so I wasn’t bothered about the models and the weather, and that feeling has kinda lasted into January too. 

I honestly can’t remember the last time I was so disinterested in our autumn weather. 

Edited for you.

Jokes aside, its strange, I think this year its been easier to deal with because we have even seen envious of other places being buried.

There has been transient cold in places, but it does certainly seem like this could be the year the NH didn't have a winter.

Mark
Beckton, E London
Less than 500m from the end of London City Airport runway.
LeedsLad123
17 January 2020 16:42:38

Originally Posted by: Quantum 

I feel like I'm getting to the sort of age where I don't care anymore.

This winter would have been a nightmare for me just 5 years ago.

Patience though, we all know the back end of winter tends to have a sting these days

I honestly couldn’t give a monkeys this year. 

I was distracted by politics in December so I wasn’t bothered about the models and the weather, and that feeling has kinda lasted into January too. 

I honestly can’t remember the last time I was so disinterested in our winter weather. 

This is how I feel too, I don’t really care anymore - if we get snow then great, but if we don’t then oh well. I don’t even notice the weather most days, it just blends into the background. And at least I can save a few bob in the heating.

Whitkirk, Leeds - 85m ASL.
howham
17 January 2020 16:43:22

Originally Posted by: doctormog 

Much appreciated 

A Polar Low Generator please!

Joe Bloggs
17 January 2020 17:24:32

Originally Posted by: LeedsLad123 

This is how I feel too, I don’t really care anymore - if we get snow then great, but if we don’t then oh well. I don’t even notice the weather most days, it just blends into the background. And at least I can save a few bob in the heating.

Normally I’d at least be looking for some potential in the distant future! 

But this year I am at peace with it all. I just don’t care. 

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

Chunky Pea
17 January 2020 17:27:55

Normally I’d at least be looking for some potential in the distant future! 

But this year I am at peace with it all. I just don’t care. 

Same here, though I have felt less and less inclined towards snow over the last decade of so and that episode in 2010 seem to trigger that off for some reason. 

Current Conditions
https://t.ly/MEYqg 

"You don't have to know anything to have an opinion"
--Roger P, 12/Oct/2022
johncs2016
18 January 2020 08:12:38

Well, would you believe it?

We have completely clear skies this morning and it is nowhere near as windy as it has been. Yet, we STILL CANNOT GET A FROST IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD (I was very tempted to use some bad language here as a result, but decided wisely to refrain from that in order to avoid being threatened by the mods with some sort of suspension from this forum as a result), although that is probably because there is still too much of a breeze around for that.

Looking at the forecast as well, it looks as though the high pressure is going to stay to our south which means that if there is any frost around, it is most likely the southerners who will get it as they seem to get all of the more interesting weather which is around (and there is very little of that), these days, so I'm not surprised that it is only the English members who have posted anything on today's CC thread up until now.

This would therefore, suggest that there is really no place for someone from this this part of the world on this forum just now, since we are clearly never going to have anything interesting to report (at least, in terms of frost anyway) and so, this might as well just become a southerners' forum from now on, rather than one for the whole of the UK and beyond (such as in Ireland).

As a result of that, I will not be posting anything else in the daily CC threads until some time that we actually get some interesting weather, although I fear that this is something which could end up never actually happening again with the way that this is going.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
KevBrads1
18 January 2020 09:04:58
This was the last time it snowed here, 30th January 2019. Almost a year ago. I'm struggling such a long snowless gap.

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
Joe Bloggs
18 January 2020 09:28:00

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

This was the last time it snowed here, 30th January 2019. Almost a year ago. I'm struggling such a long snowless gap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuBO3FUioOk

I absolutely love that video Kevin. 

We did quite well from that event here too. 

https://flic.kr/p/2doDgAs 

Manchester City Centre, 31m ASL

Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
18 January 2020 09:37:27

Originally Posted by: johncs2016 

As a result of that, I will not be posting anything else in the daily CC threads until some time that we actually get some interesting weather, although I fear that this is something which could end up never actually happening again with the way that this is going.

I think you have missed the point of the CC thread. It's not intended for specifically 'interesting' weather, other threads are started for that, rather it's for routine daily observations.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3QvmL4UWBmHFMKWiwYm_gg
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
18 January 2020 09:47:20

Originally Posted by: KevBrads1 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuBO3FUioOk

Always enjoy your videos Kevin!

I hae actually had some snow this winter, on Dec 15th. However it didn't last long and the ground was far too wet for it to have had any chance of settling. I hae lived in Bolton for 28 years now and I don't think that there has been a single winter without any snow cover whatsoever although I think one year (can't recall which) came close with just one occurance. Will this winter be the first?

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
richardabdn
18 January 2020 10:29:33

Well, would you believe it?

We have completely clear skies this morning and it is nowhere near as windy as it has been. Yet, we STILL CANNOT GET A FROST IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD (I was very tempted to use some bad language here as a result, but decided wisely to refrain from that in order to avoid being threatened by the mods with some sort of suspension from this forum as a result), although that is probably because there is still too much of a breeze around for that.

I can believe it because it's the exact same garbage here which is no surprise since Eastern Scotland is constantly suffering the worst of excess rainfall in summer and lack of snow and frost in winter. 

There is no high pressure here. It is 1019mb and just a continuation of the rank mind-numbing and horrific zonal dirge which has written off the entire winter to date. It is no different to what has been endured throughout the past week. Abhorrent wind rattling away as it does constantly preventing any sort of remotely pleasant or interesting condtions from occurrring.

Not a semblance of cold whatsoever with a min of 2.8C. It hasn't dropped below 2C since Sunday yet daytime temperatures have been barely above average at 6-8C and this has been the same all winter. A far cry from 1988/89 when highs were averaging close to 10C throughout. 

Taken in isolation this winter is horrific and ridiculous but in the context of the past decade there really are no words. If anything it's getting worse in defiance of any reasonable and rational expectations. Even the strongest swear words couldn't come close to doing justice to what we have to endure here nowadays 

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November
doctormog
18 January 2020 10:32:26
Pressure is due to rise here by 20mb by this time tomorrow, not that it will necessarily bring any interesting weather! That is on top of the 10mb increase already seen this morning.
johncs2016
18 January 2020 10:47:51

Originally Posted by: Col 

I think you have missed the point of the CC thread. It's not intended for specifically 'interesting' weather, other threads are started for that, rather it's for routine daily observations.

The CC thread is not intended for complaining about what the weather is like either. That is what this thread is for and this was a case where it was never going to be easy for me to just give an account of what the weather is like, without complaining about it in any way.

Anyway, I'm surprised that you didn't respond in the same manner just recently when Richard form Aberdeen had also said that he wasn't going to post anything in the CC threads until he got some interesting weather in his area. I know that you have on a very regular basis, responded quite a lot to what Richard has posted, even in those CC threads and so, it did appear to be out of your character a bit, to not do so on this occasion either.

The north of Edinburgh, usually always missing out on snow events which occur not just within the rest of Scotland or the UK, but also within the rest of Edinburgh.
Col
  • Col
  • Advanced Member
18 January 2020 11:16:09

The CC thread is not intended for complaining about what the weather is like either. That is what this thread is for and this was a case where it was never going to be easy for me to just give an account of what the weather is like, without complaining about it in any way.

Fair enough. Keep the moans where they should be!

Quote:

Anyway, I'm surprised that you didn't respond in the same manner just recently when Richard form Aberdeen had also said that he wasn't going to post anything in the CC threads until he got some interesting weather in his area. I know that you have on a very regular basis, responded quite a lot to what Richard has posted, even in those CC threads and so, it did appear to be out of your character a bit, to not do so on this occasion either.

The reason I didn't respond is very simple, I've blocked his posts. I find him tedious, boring and mind-numbingly repetitive in the way he  regurgitates the same old lines 'suicide inducing' etc over and over again. At one time he could be quite funny but I just can't be bothered with it now. I found that I was taking a pop at him quite often and I don't really want to pick fights with people, it's not in my nature so I thought it best to simply ignore him.

Col
Bolton, Lancashire
160m asl
Snow videos:
KevBrads1
18 January 2020 11:36:54

">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuBO3FUioOk

I absolutely love that video Kevin. 

We did quite well from that event here too. 

https://flic.kr/p/2doDgAs 

Thanks Joe.

Some of the snow cover lasted for 6 days. 

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
johncs2016
18 January 2020 12:29:58

Originally Posted by: Col 

The reason I didn't respond is very simple, I've blocked his posts. I find him tedious, boring and mind-numbingly repetitive in the way he  regurgitates the same old lines 'suicide inducing' etc over and over again. At one time he could be quite funny but I just can't be bothered with it now. I found that I was taking a pop at him quite often and I don't really want to pick fights with people, it's not in my nature so I thought it best to simply ignore him.

Fair enough, as everyone has their own opinions about other forum members and has the right to act in their own manner in response to that as long as that is within the forum's rules.

Personally, I take a slightly different stance on that but then, that is only my own opinion and my own way of dealing with that which I wouldn't expect others to follow.

Looking at what Richard has written at times, I wouldn't be surprised if he has had some form of long-standing mental health issue which then comes through in terms of what he then posts on these forums. Of course, I'm not going to assume in any way that this is actually the case, as it would be wrong for me to do so. However, I always allow for such a possibility when I come to reading his posts.

Indeed, there are many members of this forum who have had long-standing mental health issues or conditions, who have then opened up about that on this forum. I am one such person myself, having previously mentioned that I have Asperger Syndrome and there are many others as well.

Those members who do open up about having such a condition (which could also be something different like depression or schizophrenia which would be treated in the same manner by me), are very brave to do so. However, it is also important to recognise that not everyone will choose to do so. Such a person has the right to keep that private and more personal if they choose to do so, and it is possible that this is what Richard may have done in this instance and so, it is important to respect that.

When all of the above is taken into consideration, the way I deal with Richard is not to block him altogether, but to allow for any sort of condition which he might have, but not be willing to share for personal reasons. That way, I then find his posts a lot more tolerable and at times, they can be quite comical. Furthermore, Richard has also been very good in the past at bringing up some very interesting stats which show that there is more to him at times than just his rants.

Anyway, that is only my way of dealing with him which doesn't have to be the same for everyone else.

Bolty
18 January 2020 17:00:10
Nice to see that the evenings are now getting a bit lighter. It was definitely noticeable on a clearer night like tonight. Hopefully proper spring isn't too far away, though I'd imagine those in the south will argue it's been here for weeks.
Scott
Blackrod, Lancashire (4 miles south of Chorley) at 156m asl.
My weather station 
johncs2016
18 January 2020 17:21:03

Looking at the forecast as well, it looks as though the high pressure is going to stay to our south which means that if there is any frost around, it is most likely the southerners who will get it as they seem to get all of the more interesting weather which is around (and there is very little of that), these days, so I'm not surprised that it is only the English members who have posted anything on today's CC thread up until now.

This would therefore, suggest that there is really no place for someone from this this part of the world on this forum just now, since we are clearly never going to have anything interesting to report (at least, in terms of frost anyway) and so, this might as well just become a southerners' forum from now on, rather than one for the whole of the UK and beyond (such as in Ireland).

This evening is already showing us exactly what I meant when I said above, that this spell of high pressure and frosty nights ahead is merely an England only event as it has already clouded over here in Edinburgh after a sunny day which came after the late development of a slight ground frost during morning after a very late dip in the temperatures (that was only a ground frost as the actual temperatures across my three local stations remained consistently above freezing as they been virtually throughout the whole of this completely snow-free horror show that is known as our "winter".

With it having already clouded over here in Edinburgh, the temperatures will no doubt be refusing to drop here as a result as has been the case here all winter. Yet, the southerners will no doubt be continuing to bask in their much clearer skies and frosty conditions from now on.

In addition to that, the English-biased media and even the largest part of this forum will continue to perceive that as though that that was a countrywide event even that just isn't happening here, and the reason for that is because of the manner in which so many southerners can't see that the country does actually extend beyond (and therefore further north than) the Watford Gap.

Because of that, I will be having very little to do with this forum during that period and I urge those of us who live up here and who are equally not getting any frost over this period to do the same and let this forum be that southerners only forum as it tends to be a lot of the time anyway. That will at least allow them to bask in their glory of this "frosty" period in peace, whilst we carry on with the same old frost-free horror show as before here in Scotland.

tallyho_83
18 January 2020 18:21:50

Indeed, there are many members of this forum who have had long-standing mental health issues or conditions, who have then opened up about that on this forum. I am one such person myself, having previously mentioned that I have Asperger Syndrome and there are many others as well.

Me too and it's good your open about it. I have Asperger's as well albeit milder form but got diagnosed a little too late. I think it was yourself John a year or so back when you said you had the condition or opened up' to having it to someone when you were discussing with another member about criticizing a model or output or voicing your opinion about something and you said you were going through a rough period. 

What bugs me is that it's all now considered Autism when I was diagnosed with Asperger's and apparently those who were diagnoses with Asperger's like I was via a psychiatrist in 2009 I keep the title of Asperger's but new people who are on the Autism spectrum and are milder are all only being diagnosed with Autism now instead according to the new DSM 5. How do you feel about that? Because Autism is a large spectrum.

I am sure there are many with mental health conditions - which also leads me on to another topic - I wonder if the constant model watching and observing zonal borefest of mild conditions each run and then getting one odd eye candy run only for that to be robbed from us is bad for our mental health? 

Last year - winter 18/19 was a prime example. I was incredibly depressed when many models around this time last year went for a blocked and cold February only to find out we had an exceptionally warm and dry one - which was the exact opposite who would have guessed we would ever reach 20c in a winter month and bugger me we exceeded 20c and reach 21c in some parts.

We had many eye candy GFS runs/charts last winter as well which kept getting downgraded and all the cold went to the central and mid-western states of the USA and parts of Turkey and Greece got snow as well. That depressed me. Also to know that we had had a SSW and so early yet we still couldn't manage HLB.

I guess the only good thing about this winter is (whether your like or not) is the fact we haven't really had any model flips or eye candy/pub run like GFS charts only for them to get downgraded as we get to the more reliable timeframe or get major model flips. Last winter we had plenty and even our very own Met Office Glosea 5 seasonal outlook model was incorrect. Of course, it's good if you don't like cold and snow but extremely frustrating if you like cold and snowy weather and want to discuss something wintry.

The models have been very accurate this winter so far - I can't criticism them actually for flip flopping or changing as they have all forecast mild and wet weather and it has turned out correct. We all like to see eye candy charts and pub runs showing intense high latitude blocking but if this get's robbed from us 6 hrs later then we would all be furious and feel depressingly frustrated. Gav's P went for a colder than average winter...?! He got last winter wrong too - not dis respect to Gav but I don't know how he feels? I think maybe he followed the analogues too much perhaps as many pointed to cold and blocked winter. But I support Gav and still will as I enjoy his videos.

Re the models again - There has only been one time perhaps a week ago when a few ensembles including the control run picked up on a northerly end of month but this soon got downgraded and once back in early December when the temps in the stratosphere were forecast to rise just before Christmas then this never materialised and the exact opposite happened, we had an exceptionally cold stratosphere and still do and has been the case all winter.

So in away I am pleased there have been no eye candy charts/runs because in the past they have all failed to deliver and it's frustrating. However there are some on here that like to see the roller coaster in models - where as others may look at models and see the same old and find it very boring indeed.   

Back to moaning - I am disappointed. Last year we were let down despite the SSW and poor computer models forecasting blocking that never came about and thinking that this will be the year we would finally have a colder than average winter or at least a proper cold spell. But looks like we can't even get that. -1c has been the coldest so far this winter and this was back on 1st December and on 30th Nov we were down to -1.5c here in Exeter. Since then we have had no ground frost. We had a little this morning which has been the first frost of the 2020 but a low of +1c is nothing to celebrate and 1 frost in say 18 days of January - a winter month is a joke.

Moscow has done worse they have yet to get an 'ice day' this January with temperatures above freezing every day.

I can accept a milder winter it's fine but to be over half way through meteorological winter, only to experience 1- maybe 2 ground frosts and a nighttime low of +1.0c is pretty pathetic really. Never have I ever experienced such utter garbage! - Anyway I sound like Richard now ha!

I was really was hopping that this season will deliver a cold snowy spell after such a rubbish December, given the fact we are transferring to an easterly QBO and at solar minimum we should expect more!! COME ON! 

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Bertwhistle
18 January 2020 18:32:54

I suppose as long as it's winter and we're moaning, anything goes... I used to think it was a thread for moaning about winter itself.

Winter this year has felt more miserable than I can remember since 1995-6. The spring bulbs are slow to up, despite the mild weather (except the fire station daffs; yawn, yawn.) There have been precious few of the customary seasonal lies spun out by the GFS ENS (these only hurt for a day or two when they don't fruit; this year, the members dipping their toes in the -10 850 line have quickly withdrawn them with a shiver). The news is full of misery and the sun has struggled to stay out since September. 

Then again- I haven't been eating herrings. 

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.