Saint Snow
03 March 2020 16:42:34

I was talking to my youngest last night about snow. She only has vague memories of deepish snow - and I worked out that the last time we had snow deeper than a cm or two was back on Boxing Day 2014. This is her strongest memory, and she was 6. She has some memories of the 2013 falls and us sledging, but I can tell they blur into each other. She's now 12 and has missed out all of those years, hasn't been sledging since she was 5 and is a big old for it now. That's heartbreaking!

My eldest was born in 2003 and she got to experience the prime winters of 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2012/13, including two snowy Xmas's.

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Andy Woodcock
03 March 2020 21:22:09

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

I was talking to my youngest last night about snow. She only has vague memories of deepish snow - and I worked out that the last time we had snow deeper than a cm or two was back on Boxing Day 2014. This is her strongest memory, and she was 6. She has some memories of the 2013 falls and us sledging, but I can tell they blur into each other. She's now 12 and has missed out all of those years, hasn't been sledging since she was 5 and is a big old for it now. That's heartbreaking!

My eldest was born in 2003 and she got to experience the prime winters of 2009/10, 2010/11 and 2012/13, including two snowy Xmas's.

Its shocking Martin it really is although I am surprised you didn't get anything from the BFTE in 2018?

Interesting that you mention 2013, that was a very disappointing winter here, 2018 was much better.

Shows how things can vary even within the same region!

Andy

Andy Woodcock
Plumpton
Penrith
Cumbria
Altitude 435 feet
"I survived The Mega Bartlett Winter of 2015/16 With My Mental Health Just About Intact"
andy-manc
04 March 2020 10:00:51

Originally Posted by: Andy Woodcock 

Its shocking Martin it really is although I am surprised you didn't get anything from the BFTE in 2018?

Interesting that you mention 2013, that was a very disappointing winter here, 2018 was much better.

Andy

I can vouch for Martin on that one. We really did come out badly from the 2018 "beast". We got the bitter cold but the best we got was a <1cm covering of powdery snow. I remember watching the radar and streamers breaking up over us then reforming. It was bizarre. It was like we were destined not to have any snow. I'm sure there's some science to it with us being on low ground and the snow dumping inches over high ground before getting to us but it did feel like pure bad luck when seemingly the whole of the UK got a decent covering at some point during that spell.

Coverings above 1cm here are really rare. From photos, I can see we had an ok covering of around an inch in January 2016 which was probably the last over 1cm. We got a good few inches in January 2013 and then before that, we did quite well in December 2010 and then there was the really memorable spell in January 2010 which seemed to be the absolute perfect setup for us getting snow and we got about 8 inches which felt like it stayed on the ground forever. Digging my car out and having a hill of snow on my garden was the pinnacle of my snow life 

Saint Snow
04 March 2020 10:18:48

Originally Posted by: Andy Woodcock 

Andy

As Andy has said, we missed out bigtime in 2018. Even in central Manchester where I work there was very little snow - yet a few miles north, east and south of the centre, a few inches accumulated.

We struck lucky in 2013, though. Had three falls of over 10cm, another of around 5cm, and a couple of other 'dustings'. One March fall came from an ENE flow, which is normally rubbish for here (further west, just over the border into Wales, around the Wrexham area, they had depths of around 30cm)

Martin
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
buachaille
05 March 2020 09:25:12

For a slightly more “glass half full” opinion: Glencoe Mountain is reporting “4metres of snow “ in the last three weeks, with best conditions in six years. Big dumps in others as well, but, I think, best in west. Conditions look like continuing for a while as well (?). Typed in an Alpine ski resort, with snow thumping down here as well, and with sun forecast tomorrow. Glencoe is just an hour or so from home, so could be a fine start to the modern Spring.

Saint Snow
05 March 2020 13:00:32

Originally Posted by: buachaille 

For a slightly more “glass half full” opinion: Glencoe Mountain is reporting “4metres of snow “ in the last three weeks, with best conditions in six years. Big dumps in others as well, but, I think, best in west. Conditions look like continuing for a while as well (?). Typed in an Alpine ski resort, with snow thumping down here as well, and with sun forecast tomorrow. Glencoe is just an hour or so from home, so could be a fine start to the modern Spring.

The webcams look fantastic 

https://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/webcams/ 

I find it unbelievable how different it can be with a couple hundred miles and some altitude.

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
AJ*
  • AJ*
  • Advanced Member
05 March 2020 14:50:04

The weather here today is provoking me to a Ricardian rant, as it is chucking it down with cold rain in a blustery and occasionally strong ENE wind, which is really unpleasant.

(But at least it hasn't made me want to yet.)

Angus; one of the Kent crew on TWO.
Tonbridge, 40m (131ft) asl
Saint Snow
05 March 2020 15:15:39

Originally Posted by: AJ* 

The weather here today is provoking me to a Ricardian rant, as it is chucking it down with cold rain in a blustery and occasionally strong ENE wind, which is really unpleasant.

(But at least it hasn't made me want to yet.)

I think we've got your weather by mistake.

It's been a beautiful late winter/early spring day here; a crisp & frosty start followed by wall to wall sunshine.

I'm sure the natural order of things will return forthwith.

Martin
Aneurin Bevan
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
05 March 2020 17:16:26

12hrs nonstop heavy rain, about 30mm fell, floods closing quite major roads, Are we sure that winter has gone away? If we'd had this in January and only a slight tweak to the synoptics, we'd have had upwards of a foot of snow!

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
richardabdn
07 March 2020 10:17:03

The most snowless winter in history and the relentless westerly dross rolls on into March. It’s just unreal. The last couple of weeks where decent snow is possible written off with total and utter garbage.

Just about the most excruciating start to Spring possible with worst instance yet of the ‘Weekend Curse’. An almost completely sunny week bookended by a rotten wet Sunday and disgusting grey, damp Saturday. It's makes my blood boil this rotten infuriating climate whereby yet again I was stuck indoors during all the sunshine but can't get out now because it is VILE outside. Not only is it cold, grey and damp but the horrific rattling wind is back to make things feel even worse 

This awful curse has been a feature of summer since 2007 and now it’s afflicting the entire year. Horrible and depressing beyond words. It’s so ridiculous now that even the weather forecasters are starting to talk about it.

February was sunnier than every summer month of 2007 and 2012 (probably 2020 as well) but there was no usable weather at all because of the wet, windy weekends. Last decent Sunday was 12th January and last decent Saturday was 30th November. Just an unmitigated horror show like nothing I can ever remember and there seems to be no end in sight to this suicide-inducing pattern

Aberdeen: The only place that misses out on everything

2023 - The Year that's Constantly Worse than a Bad November