tallyho_83
26 December 2020 12:40:48

Originally Posted by: idj20 

When I do the forecast for my own Facebook weather group, I do use the phrase "feeling cold" at 10 c if it is being accompanied with strong winds in the winter months. Like I say "rather cold" at 5 c but under calm conditions; in other words, based on comfort factor and time of year.

Yes but it can feel cold at 5c as well as rather cold at 5c. I think the Met office could be more specific ... what temperature to them classifies as being rather cold or feeling cold? 

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

idj20
26 December 2020 12:50:29

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

Yes but it can feel cold at 5c as well as rather cold at 5c. I think the Met office could be more specific ... what temperature to them classifies as being rather cold or feeling cold? 

"Rather cold" at 5 c would be under calm conditions (I usually call it "chilly"), but if it is being accompanied with strong winds then I say "feeling cold". I guess it's all in the wording and matter of perspective. My idea of "very cold" is for temperatures at freezing level and below during the day, especially as that is a rare occurrence for our south-facing coastal location.

Folkestone Harbour. 
Retron
26 December 2020 12:53:04

Originally Posted by: tallyho_83 

The Met Office used to have them on their site, but that vanished over a decade ago (for whatever reason).

They're repeated here:

http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/information.htm

("Rather cold" specifically refers to 2-3 C below average in winter, it's nothing to do with how cold it feels!)

Leysdown, north Kent
marting
26 December 2020 12:54:05

I will take this warning for now and see what develops. I am sure some inland areas will do well, probably see some sleet here on the coast. Still a good sign

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Weatherdesk_Enquiries#?date=2020-12-28&id=15bdc2bb-fcc7-494d-a001-de5abda8414f&details

Martin

Martin
Greasby, Wirral.
tallyho_83
26 December 2020 13:23:56

Originally Posted by: Retron 

The Met Office used to have them on their site, but that vanished over a decade ago (for whatever reason).

They're repeated here:

http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk/information.htm

("Rather cold" specifically refers to 2-3 C below average in winter, it's nothing to do with how cold it feels!)

Thanks for sharing - So the feeling cold/rather cold etc they are referring to the temperature from average for the season so I see as opposed to the air temperature. Right all clear now. Although could be good if they said in their long range text forecasts that temperatures will be -2c to -3c below the seasonal average average instead of the vague "feeling cold or rather cold" etc. 

....Anyway that's me being pedantic.

As for the forecast for "wintry hazards" in the 16 - 30 day outlook, I assume they refer to this as anything from rain, sleet, snow to frost and ice as well as freezing fog - it could be any...?

Home Location - Kellands Lane, Okehampton, Devon (200m ASL)
---------------------------------------
Sean Moon
Magical Moon
www.magical-moon.com

Gavin D
26 December 2020 15:00:05

Thursday 31 Dec - Saturday 9 Jan

Generally unsettled conditions will continue during the beginning of this period, with spells of rain, sleet and snow likely across many areas. Any occurrences of snow are likely to be over higher ground, but there is also a chance of snow occurring over lower-level areas that are away from coasts. There is a possibility of drier and more settled conditions developing during this period, primarily across northern parts of the UK, and across areas in the west near the end of the period. At times it will be windy, particularly in western parts at first. Temperatures are likely to be low, feeling cold or rather cold, and bringing a risk of frost, ice and freezing fog.

Saturday 9 Jan - Saturday 23 Jan

Cold or rather cold conditions are generally likely to continue during this period, with a risk of wintry hazards. At times conditions will generally be settled for parts of the north, and possibly extending to western areas too. There are currently no indications of exceptionally cold conditions occurring anywhere; however, some harsh frosts are likely over areas with snow cover. As we approach the end of the month, it is likely that colder-than-average conditions will generally persist through the country, rather than mild, wet and windy weather. However, it is possible for some areas to see milder spells.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

Gooner
26 December 2020 21:17:11

That's a good update i'd say 

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

moomin75
26 December 2020 21:43:01

Originally Posted by: Gooner 

That's a good update i'd say 

A good update but completely at odds with the BBC video longer ranger tonight with Susan Powell. Basically mostly dry and chilly once Bella clears off. No mention whatsoever of snow anywhere.

Witney, Oxfordshire
100m ASL
Gavin D
27 December 2020 10:18:30

A level 2 alert for severe cold weather has been extended to the West Midlands

Current alert level: Level 2 - Alert and Readiness

Issued at: 09:26 on Sun 27 Dec 2020

There is a 60% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions/heavy snow between 0900 on Sunday 27 Dec and 0900 on Tuesday 29 Dec in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Colder air developing across the UK through Sunday 27th as rain clears and winds ease. Overnight frost and icy patches developing, along with the potential for some freezing fog. This also bringing a risk of wintry showers, which may merge into more persistent hill snow early Monday 28th, perhaps down to lower levels briefly, with an increased risk for parts of the West Midlands. Coldest conditions will continue to be across the Northeast, Northwest and Yorkshire and Humberside at first, where thresholds are likely to be reached for this period. Elsewhere daytime temperatures should recover sufficiently to remain above thresholds. Confidence is low, however. This alert will need to be reviewed as confidence increases for the coming week, and beyond, but is likely to be extended.

An update will be issued when the alert level changes in any region. Alerts are issued once a day by 0900 if required and are not subject to amendment in between standard issue times. Note that the details of the forecast weather are valid at the time of issue but may change over the period that an alert remains in force. These details will not be updated here unless the alert level also changes, the latest forecast details can be obtained at the following link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/#?tab=map

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/?tab=coldWeatherAlert&season=normal#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

White Meadows
27 December 2020 11:40:41
Bizarre use of wording for met office forecast tomorrow: “Cold and cloudy. An area of rain may move erratically eastwards across the network through the day, perhaps turning to sleet and snow later.”

Never seen an area referred to as a ‘network’. Maybe a mistake.
Ally Pally Snowman
27 December 2020 13:17:18

Snow warnings over quite a wide area tomorrow.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings&ved=2ahUKEwjbnoqcoO7tAhVGTsAKHeTEA1QQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw29oGsNBKAoY7v0BX5rsYvj

Bishop's Stortford 85m ASL.
Jim-55
27 December 2020 16:26:59

Originally Posted by: Ally Pally Snowman 

Snow warnings over quite a wide area tomorrow.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings&ved=2ahUKEwjbnoqcoO7tAhVGTsAKHeTEA1QQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw29oGsNBKAoY7v0BX5rsYvj

That warning is now right the way down to the south coast, might see some here after midnight.

Previously JimC. joined back then in 2009. Frome, N/E Somerset, 125mtrs asl.
Gavin D
27 December 2020 16:43:19

Friday 1 Jan - Sunday 10 Jan

Generally unsettled conditions will continue during the beginning of this period, with spells of rain, sleet and snow likely across many areas. Significant accumulations of snow are likely to be over higher ground, but there is also a chance of snow occurring over lower-level areas that are away from coasts. There is a possibility of drier and more settled conditions developing during this period, primarily across northern parts of the UK, and across areas in the west near the end of the period. At times it will be windy, particularly in western parts at first. Temperatures are likely to be low, feeling cold or rather cold, and bringing a risk of frost, ice, and freezing fog.

Sunday 10 Jan - Sunday 24 Jan

Cold or rather cold conditions are generally likely to continue during this period, with a risk of wintry hazards. At times conditions will generally be settled for parts of the north, and possibly extending to western areas too. There are currently no indications of exceptionally cold conditions occurring anywhere; however, some harsh frosts are likely over areas with snow cover. As we approach the end of January, it is likely that colder-than-average conditions will generally persist through the country. However, it is possible for some areas to see milder wetter and windier spells, but less frequently than usual.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

ozone_aurora
27 December 2020 17:01:10

The Met Office text & map forecasts are inconsistent this afternoon, as if written by 2 different persons; the text forecast for E Anglia says "dry and cold overnight for much of the region, with some patchy cloud. Heavy, perhaps thundery showers may affect East Anglia through the early hours...", & for tomorrow, "Cold and increasingly cloudy. Outbreaks of rain pushing southeastwards, with hill snow likely, perhaps a risk of snow or ice at lower levels in west later". 

However, the map forecast indicates dry throughout E Anglia tonight (maybe an odd coastal shower just clipping the extreme E by dawn), & for tomorrow, dry throughout the day with hazy sunshine or light clouds (showers are all offshore, heading towards Lincolnshire in the afternoon).

So which is it correct?  

(I suspect the former for E coast).

See: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/map/u134qs6zb#?map=CloudAndRain&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.01&fcTime=1609041600.

fairweather
28 December 2020 00:09:35

Yes, forecasts are not clear at the moment with many mixed messages. daughters have texted me saying they've seen it's going to snow in Essex tomorrow. I put that to bed - for now. I also find the fax charts atm look a lot more interesting than what the somewhat bland Countryfile Forecast seemed to be showing although it was Liam.

S.Essex, 42m ASL
Gooner
28 December 2020 10:42:11

Warnings out for Wednesday and Thursday 

Remember anything after T120 is really Just For Fun

Marcus
Banbury
North Oxfordshire
378 feet A S L

BaryBazz
28 December 2020 11:32:03

Originally Posted by: Gooner 

Warnings out for Wednesday and Thursday 

Unfortunately now cancelled 

doctormog
Tim A
28 December 2020 11:36:52
Warning for tonight for much of the country.
Ice/Snow , messy picture with snow mostly above 250m but can't be ruled out at lower levels. Will be a nowcast situation.
Tim
NW Leeds
187m asl