Hungry Tiger
15 November 2019 15:28:13

Nice video clip here. Filmed in Yorkshire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUcAfHD1BAY

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.
Contact the TWO team - [email protected]
South Cambridgeshire. 93 metres or 302.25 feet ASL.

Saint Snow
15 November 2019 16:20:44

Don't we normally wait until late Jan before rolling out talk of the '47 winter?

Martin
Home: St Helens (26m asl) Work: Manchester (75m asl)
A TWO addict since 14/12/01
"How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political freedom to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics."
Aneurin Bevan
Bertwhistle
15 November 2019 16:36:16

Lovely B&W footage of the Eling-cinema feel.

The bit cleared by the post box near the start suggests- what, 4 feet of level snow? Amazing.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Hungry Tiger
15 November 2019 20:17:36

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

Lovely B&W footage of the Eling-cinema feel.

The bit cleared by the post box near the start suggests- what, 4 feet of level snow? Amazing.

Roger Parsons passed me this link .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL3Z9n8OtlE

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.

Hungry Tiger
15 November 2019 20:18:36

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

Don't we normally wait until late Jan before rolling out talk of the '47 winter?

I don't often see many video clips of the winter of 1947 - That's why I posted it on here. We've all heard lots about 1963 - But not much about 1947.

Gavin S. FRmetS.
TWO Moderator.

Roger Parsons
15 November 2019 20:46:29

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 

I don't often see many video clips of the winter of 1947 - That's why I posted it on here. We've all heard lots about 1963 - But not much about 1947.

This is the vintage 1947 film I mentioned about draining the Fens.

It has a somewhat more sanguine take on flooding to what we see in the media at the moment.

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/1892

Roger

RogerP
West Lindsey district of Lincolnshire
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
William Cobbett, in his Rural Rides - c.1830
KevBrads1
15 November 2019 21:09:57

Originally Posted by: Saint Snow 

True but people forget that first half of winter 1946-47 was not mild.  December 1946 had a CET of 3.1C

MANCHESTER SUMMER INDEX for 2021: 238
Timelapses, old weather forecasts and natural phenomena videos can be seen on this site
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgrSD1BwFz2feWDTydhpEhQ/playlists
roadrunnerajn
15 November 2019 21:12:23
My dad often talked about 1947... he was 11 and told me many times how he and his friends would sledge over the dry stones walls around Matlock and have an almost uninterrupted hillside... like a ski run. I used to listen and hope it would be repeated.
Germoe, part of the breakaway Celtic Republic.
Roger Parsons
17 November 2019 07:51:31
I missed 62/63 and was not even a sperm in 1947! I still live in hope, but it is dwindling.
Here's the Met Office account, tho most posters will be familiar with the story:
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/case-studies/severe-winters 

Roger
RogerP
Everything taken together, here in Lincolnshire are more good things than man could have had the conscience to ask.
DEW
  • DEW
  • Advanced Member
17 November 2019 08:31:55

I'm fortunate enough to remember both and remember the fun bits - making igloos in 47 (aged 5), skating on the river in 63 (aged 21).

But 1947 wasn't all fun, even before the flooding referred to by Roger. We could only heat one room in the house because of fuel shortages and at one point were reduced to sweeping out the coal bunker to get the last fragments of coal before fortunately managing to get two smallish (maybe 28lb - it was Imperial then) bags of coal from a consignment which had arrived at a local railway station -- a long queue and that was all anyone was allowed. Our problems were not unusual though probably exacerbated by having just moved house and not had time to build up a large personal stock of coal.

BTW the fuel shortages were mainly due to coal stockpiles being frozen solid, not incompetent management of supplies.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left - Bertrand Russell

Chichester 12m asl
JACKO4EVER
17 November 2019 15:49:53
Sadly I don’t think we will ever see the likes again. Great vids- thanks for sharing πŸ‘
Retron
17 November 2019 16:05:51

Originally Posted by: JACKO4EVER 

Sadly I don’t think we will ever see the likes again. Great vids- thanks for sharing πŸ‘

There's always hope. Heck, just last year it reached -14C in my back yard, half a mile from the warm old Thames Estuary, and until that happened I didn't think I'd see anything like 1987 temperatures ever again! 'Course, it was a short-lived blast but it was a reminder that you can't rule anything out.

Leysdown, north Kent
Stormchaser
17 November 2019 16:19:44

Originally Posted by: JACKO4EVER 

Probability is probably close to 1 / 1947 .

These days, we have more than enough available moisture to reach that winter's snow totals, but getting the right temps in place when that moisture is precipitating is another matter, as we know all too well.

That's the trouble with a warmer overall climate; precipitation tends to come with high humidity, hence temps close to the increased baseline. Anything more than transitional snow is much harder to come by.

Get enough snow from a front bumping into cold air, though, and spectacular results are still achievable - and prolonged ones if the Atlantic storms don't make full inroads and winds slacken off; then cooling above the snow can take hold to produce 'homegrown' cold that can help tip the balance the way of snow if and when some 'gentle' maritime intrusions occur (with winds too light to effectively blow the cold aside).

With this in mind, I'll be sorely disappointing if not one of the next 30 winters delivers enough snow to be comparable with some of the all-time snowiest winters. By the laws of probability, all the various driving forces required for conducive patterns ought to come together sooner or later.

If you have any problems or queries relating to TWO you can Email [email protected] πŸ™‚
https://twitter.com/peacockreports 
2021's Homeland Extremes:
T-Max: 30.4Β°C 21st Jul | T-Min: -6.8Β°C New Years Day! | Wettest Day: 34.1mm 2nd Oct | Ice Days: 2 (27th Jan & 8th Feb)
Keep Calm and Forecast On
Bertwhistle
17 November 2019 16:30:57

Originally Posted by: Hungry Tiger 

Roger Parsons passed me this link .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL3Z9n8OtlE

A delight to watch & listen to, even though the weather barely got a minute's coverage. Thanks HT and Roger.

Bertie, Itchen Valley.
'We'll never see 40 celsius in this country'.
Roger Parsons
17 November 2019 17:04:30

Originally Posted by: Bertwhistle 

A delight to watch & listen to, even though the weather barely got a minute's coverage. Thanks HT and Roger.

When looking for such links you often pick up on additional unexpected gems, Bertie. I was after footage of past flooding and thought that clip might interest folks with the more general info on 1947.  It seems an age ago, another world, but it is only a couple of generations back. Have a look down the listing on Youtube and you'll find other great stuff.

I'll PM one specially for you.

Roger

RogerP